What's new

News Ten people presumed dead in suspected arson at Kyoto anime studio

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Was this the next nutter running amok over some perceived slight? Very sad indeed.

A man started a fire at a Kyoto animation studio after spraying a liquid there Thursday morning, leaving multiple people dead and nearly 40 others injured, local police and rescuers said. About 10 people were found lying unconscious on the second floor and were presumed dead, according to the police. The fire started at around 10:30 a.m. at a three-story studio of Kyoto Animation Co., a company known for producing popular TV animation series "K-On!", "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu" ("The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"), "A Silent Voice," "Clannad" and "Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon" ("Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid").

Kyoto Animation Co.

Wikipedia entry

The presumed death toll has risen to 25.

The suspect, 41, who was also injured, was taken to a local hospital.

Just horrible. Been on the morning news. Not sure how many people have died or missing. Or even sent to the hospital.

This is pretty horrific. I first heard about it on my way back to Japan, seems that the death toll is now 33, which is nearly half of the people who were in the studio at the time :(

I admittedly don't know too much about anime, so I first assumed it had maybe something to do with working conditions, and maybe the arsonist was a disgruntled employee. My friend here assured me that KyoAni was one of the few "good ones" that treated their staff well, and were beloved among anime enthusiasts. The rumor I heard was that the guy thought they had stolen his story or idea or something.

Regardless, this is a disturbing tragedy :(

It appears as if this individual was very troubled. According to the article below, he robbed a convenience store in 2012 and threatened to kill his neighbours in Saitama where he resided. These vicious attacks on innocent "privileged" victims reveal some unsettling trends in Japanese society:

Nobuo Komiya, a Rissho University criminology professor, calls the attacks "suicidal terrorism," in which attackers typically see themselves as losers and target their anger on the society, often those who seem happy and successful. "Feeling angry at people who they think are winners, they tend to choose privileged people as targets," Komiya said. "They think they have nothing to lose, they don't care if they get caught or if they die." They are part of a growing trend that reflects a change in the Japanese society, where disparities are growing and ties among families, community and other groups have weakened and people are less obligated to follow the rules and be part of it, he said. "Japan shouldn't be complacent about its safety anymore. We should follow the U.S. and Europe and do more for risk management."

I think the person who did this may have wrote his own manga and shared it with someone who works for the company that company stole is story and present it to the company as his own trying to make a deal and a deal has been reach and he was upset about being kept out of it.

Several crowdfunding campaigns have raised the staggering amount of 275m yen in donations in just one day.

To Kyoto animation arson murder Defendant Aoba a death sentence (January 25, 2024

• At the citizen judge trial of the Kyoto animation arson murder case that 36 people were sacrificed, the Kyoto District Court announced the death penalty for Defendant Shinji Aoba charged with crimes such as the murder. According to judgment, Defendant Aoba invaded the Kyoto animation first studio of Fushimi-ku, Kyoto-shi in July, 2019 and I poured gasoline on employees and set it on fire and killed 36 and had 32 carry a serious or slight injury. Presiding Judge Masuda of the Kyoto District Court pointed out, "mental unsoundness, neither 耗弱 state did not have it" about a mental condition of Defendant Aoba at the time by judgment of 25th. And I say, it "is not admitted as for most of the influence of the delusion" in the thing that I chose the arson murder and authorized it while I admitted, "the defendant was a paranoid obstacle" when there was ability for criminal liability. After that, I stated, "there are not the circumstances to evade the maximum penalty extremely heavily as for the responsibility of the crime that took 36 human life when I considered quality and process, the motive of the crime, the seriousness of the result" and announced the death penalty to Defendant Aoba in accordance with the prosecution's recommendation. When judgment was announced, Defendant Aoba did not move an inch, and almost none of the expressions changed, too.

When judgment was announced, Defendant Aoba did not move an inch, and almost none of the expressions changed, too.

He knew what was coming.

Kyodo published a piece on his doctor, Ueda Takahiro, who said he hoped the case would spur a discussion on ways to resolve isolation in society. Although there was some hesitation, Ueda was determined to treat the patient with his team of around 20 staff, believing "to bring the truth to light, he cannot be allowed to escape through death," the 52-year-old doctor said in a recent interview with Kyodo News.

With police officers present throughout his care, Ueda could not ask him about the incident. His chance finally came that November, in a medical vehicle transporting Aoba to another hospital. "I've no choice but to feel regret," Aoba was quoted as telling Ueda. When the doctor further asked him why he carried out the attack, Aoba replied that he had been "pushed into a corner." Aoba also said that he "wouldn't have done it" had he met people like those at the hospital who cared for him before the attack, according to Ueda. Concluding he had glimpsed Aoba's true feelings, Ueda said that he realized there is an urgent need to tackle isolation in Japanese society. Since the trial at the Kyoto District Court began in September last year, a picture has emerged of a man who was abused by his father and refused to interact with others despite struggling with life's hardships.

Sorry

Were the filmmakers among the victims?
As the Kyoto animation is the company which produces the movie animation, all the victims are people concerned with movie.

The day of the Violet Evergarden exhibition.
A sacrificed employee participates in art directors.
"… with all which oneself can do".
The working work that the private exhibition of the employee is held is ...

"Violet Evergarden for theater."
The book notice second.
A Friday, September 18, 2020 exhibition.

Back
Top Bottom