What's new

Question Taxes, Pension and Insurance query

Eigo

Kouhai
16 Jan 2020
Hello everyone

I've been thinking for a while about leaving Japan, perhaps in a year or two but due to various reasons, I'm beginning to think of an "exit plan" now.

My question is...although it's a legal requirement to pay your dues with city tax, health insurance and pension, which out of these would you "ignore" paying and which would you keep on top of and honour?

I ask because I have been paying my dues however, I've just been slugged with a huge recalculated set of bills for city tax, health insurance and pension. The pension on its own could absorb over 30% of my monthly income, never mind paying the rest plus rent, utilities and food.

If you were in a similar situation and facing the possibility of leaving in the next 12 - 24 months, which would you "let go? and not really bother with?

*I recognise it's a legal requirement but nevertheless...*

You should get a refund of a substantial portion of the pension money. At least I did but that was 10 years ago and I was never a permanent resident.

Yes thank you, I know but that's not my question. Back to my original question, in the time still living in Japan running up to potentially leaving in a year or two, which out of the 3 payments would you "ignore", essentially to give yourself more savings and avoid hassle towards the end of being in Japan.

You should get a refund of a substantial portion of the pension money. At least I did but that was 10 years ago and I was never a permanent resident.
Yes thank you, I know but that's not my question. Back to my original question, in the time still living in Japan running up to potentially leaving in a year or two, which out of the 3 payments would you "ignore", essentially to give yourself more savings and avoid hassle towards the end of being in Japan.

I don't think anybody will give you advice on which tax obligations to dodge. The forum could get in trouble if they are seen as promoting tax fraud.
I can respect that but non-payment isn't fraud. Fraud would be declaring an untruthful lower/zero income to then generate lower tax payments. Delinquency is what this would be classed as and being in arrears isn't necessarily illegal.

Anyway for the record, I'm leaning towards saying Pension.

Anyway for the record, I'm leaning towards saying Pension.
Wouldn't that affect your refund? Also wouldn't that be more problematic if you ever decided to return to Japan as it's a national obligation, not local?

For the record, I think it's better to bite the bullet and pay your obligations. Yes I know, I'm not answering your question. 😶

Wouldn't that affect your refund? Also wouldn't that be more problematic if you ever decided to return to Japan as it's a national obligation, not local?

For the record, I think it's better to bite the bullet and pay your obligations. Yes I know, I'm not answering your question. 😶
You're assuming there's enough already paid to claim a refund or that I'd ever return to Japan.

The way me and Japan are heading right now, Japan and I, I'm falling completely out of love for the place due to the mountain of excrement it has put me through for all my best intentions in the past 4 years in terms of energy and will to make a life here. I'm not going to break out the violin music but frankly, you'd be NUTS to come here for more than 2 years as things are, and I don't mean Corona problems. You've got to walk a mile in my shoes to know what I mean and I'm not going to hijack my own thread to cry and explain.

Back to my point. I say Pension because that particular payment is only immediately beneficial to you upon retirement or claiming a refund. Health Insurance and City tax etc, Health Insurance especially could be immediately important should something unexpected happen and I've a feeling leaving City Tax would result in stern letters and more imminent negative consequences quicker than Pension reminders.

In that case I don't see anything inherently wrong with your logic but I'm afraid I don't have any firsthand knowledge to share about potential consequences. Good luck getting yourself extricated. I know a lot of people get jaded especially if they were run through the English teaching grist mill.

In that case I don't see anything inherently wrong with your logic but I'm afraid I don't have any first hand knowledge to share about potential consequences. Good luck getting yourself extricated. I know a lot of people get jaded especially if they were run through the English teaching grist mill.
Thank. I think I've answered my own question :D I guess I just need to be sure about my future plans.

I'm beyond jaded now. Life here is like trying to walk 10 meters with taut bungee ropes attached to your back and blacksmith's anvils tied around your neck, 1 for every year you've been here. For all my best intentions, I can't make things work, hence queries like this and the beginnings of plans to leave.

Pay what you owe. Don't leave behind a bad record for the rest of us who decide to stay. I don't care (and it's irrelevant to know) what your reasons are for leaving.
Full stop. Period.

Pay what you owe. Don't leave behind a bad record for the rest of us who decide to stay. I don't care (and it's irrelevant to know) what your reasons are for leaving.
Full stop. Period.
Thanks for the advice ;)

You're lucky I didn't give my reasons then I guess.

The thread has ended actually, but if you people want to play the good tax slave to help the old government men catch up and plug holes in their poor planning for taxes and pensions, then go ahead and obey whatever they impose on foreigners without question, fair or unfair, with or without questioning. They're lucky to have people like you propping them up!
Full stop. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
but if you people want to play the good tax slave to help the old government men catch up and plug holes in their poor planning for taxes and pensions, then go ahead and obey whatever they impose on foreigners without question, fair or unfair, with or without questioning. They're lucky to have people like you propping them up!

Japan is actually quite lax on this kind of thing. Like, go (back?) to the US and just try to get away with not paying social security.

And then try to skip the state and city sales taxes, and if you're in a state with income taxes, see how far you'd get having nothing withheld (it's as you go there, not the paid-in-arrears system here).

It would also be a hoot to see a foreigner there ask for a "pension refund". The people at the social security office would probably snap a pic and put it up in their coffee room--to joke about.

Thankfully tho, you haven't been paying for pension, so I guess you won't be getting a refund.

Back
Top Bottom