What's new

Tax in your country

Hezam

Out of Service
24 Aug 2007
i'm still confused about tax in the U.S and Europe, What tax does a normal person pay ?
House tax ( whether it's rent or your own ).
Car tax ?
shop/Company tax ? ( if it's your own )

Please list the tax that you pay in your country.

Thanks

In the Us ................

....once a year we pay federal and state taxes on what we earn and any money we get from gifts. Once a year we pay to register our car and it goes down as the car gets older. If you own a property , you pay a tax based on it's value assessed by the local government.If you own a dog , most places tax you once a year to license it. We pay a sales tax on things we buy (5% in Maine) objects, meals . Those are all I can think of at the moment.

Uncle Frank

In the Us ................

....once a year we pay federal and state taxes on what we earn and any money we get from gifts.

Its called income tax, or personal income tax or individual income tax in America, and I think there is federal, state and city, although I think state and city are paid with the same form and payment.

And actually we don't pay once a year. We have this corrupt system where a piece of your estimated year-end taxes are withheld from each of your paychecks (usually once a week). And if you pay too much through this estimation and withholding system, you actually have to apply to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service or Infernal Robbin-you Scircus) to get your money back. Its utterly asinine, but Americans have gotten used to being abused this way.

If you pay too little you have to figure it out and pay the rest. As if you knew exactly what would happen in that year. Its madness.

Also there is the inheritance tax. Basically you have to pay a hefty tax if you die and make the thoughtless mistake of wanting to give your property and money to your family.

Property tax would be yearly tax on land, house and other things related to the land and house, called fixtures. I believe that its usually the county that collects this tax.

In the US, taxes vary from state to state.

Most states have income and sales taxes, but Alaska does not. Some cities have a sales tax, but not Anchorage.

We pay a tax on real property to the city, based on assessed value. The tax on my home runs about $5,500 per year.

Alaska pays its residents about a thousand dollars per year in oil dividends, so you have to offset that from our tax burden.

We also pay federal income tax at the same rates (about 10 - 35 percent) as other states.

Corporations also pay income taxes at lesser rates. If you run a business you need a license from the city, about fifty dollars per year.

Thanks guys, i wonder why should someone pay tax because he has a house of his own !!!!

Thanks guys, i wonder why should someone pay tax because he has a house of his own !!!!

Because the government pays for the roads, infrastructure, police, fire stations, schools surrounding your house which help give it value. Seems fair, though some places have inflated taxes.

But i heard that if you didn't or if you couldn't pay your house tax you will lose it, Is it true ?

Yes, it's true. Real property taxes go to pay for roads, police, fire protection, and other city services. If you don't pay, you can't freeload off of others forever.

Yes, it's true. Real property taxes go to pay for roads, police, fire protection, and other city services. If you don't pay, you can't freeload off of others forever.
So what part of this law protects the personal property ? if this goes on non-citizen people i will understand but it seems like communist law !
Your house is Yours, wheather you pay for services around you or not, what if the owner is broke ?
At least the government should take tax from the employees who have jobs in a government facilities not those broke or workers in shops or stores...
roads, police, fire protection..etc is government job, that's the point of having a " Government " !!
I wonder why the american people did not request removing/changing this part of tax yet !!

please share your opinion..

Think of the problem from the other side.

Let us say you own an apartment building and are the landlord. The people living there pay you rent every month. You use the rent money to buy food for your family and pay your bills and need it to survive. All of a sudden the people renting from you lose their job. The economy is very bad and they just can not find a new job. They stop paying you rent money. Soon you have no money to buy food and pay your bills. You know there are new people who want to move into your building who can pay the rent. Are you going to let the people stay in your apartment for free?? It is sad they lost their job and have no money to pay you. I think you will move them out and get new people who can pay you.
When a home owner can not pay taxes , there are safe guards and ways to get help. Usually the home owner can go to court and do other things to save his home. It is only after the home owner does nothing and makes no attempt to pay that he may finally lose his home.
You have to realize that good roads and bridges and protection from fire and criminals are needed services. The money needed to pay from those things has to come from somewhere. The money the home owner pays is usually based on his income and the size and value of his house and the location of his house. Rich people in big homes and in very nice neighborhoods pay mush more than poor people with small homes. The amount a homeowner pays is usually fair for all the services he receives.

Uncle Frank

Let us say you own an apartment building and are the landlord. The people living there pay you rent every month. You use the rent money to buy food for your family and pay your bills and need it to survive. All of a sudden the people renting from you lose their job. The economy is very bad and they just can not find a new job. They stop paying you rent money. Soon you have no money to buy food and pay your bills. You know there are new people who want to move into your building who can pay the rent. Are you going to let the people stay in your apartment for free?? It is sad they lost their job and have no money to pay you. I think you will move them out and get new people who can pay you.
When a home owner can not pay taxes
If the government gave you a free house i will agree with your example above, But no one has the right to take your house from you after you bought it, the example above can go on Taxi driver who doesn't own the car, if the taxi driver doesn't make money then you give the car to someone else who can make money.
As for the example you posted above, If the house for rent not for living then i agree.
I'm sorry for saying this but the American people are being treated like tenants!.
This house tax thing is shared with communist law [ the goverment owns everything ]. I'm really surprised because it's the first time i heard about house tax !
As much as i'm thankful for the information you provided i would like to know your opinion.

there are safe guards and ways to get help. Usually the home owner can go to court and do other things to save his home. It is only after the home owner does nothing and makes no attempt to pay that he may finally lose his home.
But this makes an easy way for lawyers to milk the people !

You have to realize that good roads and bridges and protection from fire and criminals are needed services. The money needed to pay from those things has to come from somewhere.
somewhere doesn't have to be people's wallets, the government controles resources so the government is meant to make better life for the people, for example, Other taxes [ banks, markets, import/export ] can be used to cover roads, schools, hospital services etc.
i really don't see any sensible reason in house tax! and i think it's unfair to the people.

Thanks alot for the reply, i find it intersting to discuss things like tax and law in general.

If the government gave you a free house i will agree with your example above, But no one has the right to take your house from you after you bought it, the example above can go on Taxi driver who doesn't own the car, if the taxi driver doesn't make money then you give the car to someone else who can make money.
As for the example you posted above, If the house for rent not for living then i agree.
I'm sorry for saying this but the American people are being treated like tenants!.
This house tax thing is shared with communist law [ the goverment owns everything ]. I'm really surprised because it's the first time i heard about house tax !
As much as i'm thankful for the information you provided i would like to know your opinion.
But this makes an easy way for lawyers to milk the people !
somewhere doesn't have to be people's wallets, the government controles resources so the government is meant to make better life for the people, for example, Other taxes [ banks, markets, import/export ] can be used to cover roads, schools, hospital services etc.
i really don't see any sensible reason in house tax! and i think it's unfair to the people.
Thanks alot for the reply, i find it intersting to discuss things like tax and law in general.

The government generates no wealth whatsoever. All wealth is, in reality, generated by individuals. No matter what the government uses to create public property, it will be appropriated from the people. If the government is operating a cow farm or something fascinating like that, it's running it very much like a trustee. You are a beneficiary of that cow business, even if you have no other connection to it: part of what is lost or earned there is your money. If the government blows that money on getting the farmers coke and prostitutes, they will be wasting your money, albeit on a noble cause.

The rationale behind ordinary taxation is that it ought to act like renewable energy does for energy. Ownership of real property is indicative of possessing a measure of wealth, so it seems only natural that the state would try to take the money from where there is money. Note how there is no homelessness tax... because hoboes are seldom wealthy men.

In the end, it all comes out of one huge budget. There is no way to avoid paying. Society will have to pay for the creation of public property and the provision of services. It's more a question of how to apportion the costs.

What kind of taxes does Saudi Arabia have, and what happens if you don't pay those taxes?

Perhaps Saudi Arabia earns so much money from its oil that you don't need to have taxes.

The government generates no wealth whatsoever. All wealth is, in reality, generated by individuals. No matter what the government uses to create public property, it will be appropriated from the people. If the government is operating a cow farm or something fascinating like that, it's running it very much like a trustee. You are a beneficiary of that cow business, even if you have no other connection to it: part of what is lost or earned there is your money. If the government blows that money on getting the farmers coke and prostitutes, they will be wasting your money, albeit on a noble cause.

The rationale behind ordinary taxation is that it ought to act like renewable energy does for energy. Ownership of real property is indicative of possessing a measure of wealth, so it seems only natural that the state would try to take the money from where there is money. Note how there is no homelessness tax... because hoboes are seldom wealthy men.

In the end, it all comes out of one huge budget. There is no way to avoid paying. Society will have to pay for the creation of public property and the provision of services. It's more a question of how to apportion the costs.
The government can make a solution like renting the house to someone else who can pay while the house still belongs to the original owner, Let's say for one year then the renter move out so the owner comes back with renting money in his hands so he can pay tax for several years.

What kind of taxes does Saudi Arabia have, and what happens if you don't pay those taxes?
Perhaps Saudi Arabia earns so much money from its oil that you don't need to have taxes.
We [ only muslims ] pay Zakat.
Zakat goes direcly from the person who pays it to the person who deserve it.
And the amount of Zakat to be paid by an individual depends on the amount of wealth and the type of assets the individual possesses.
As for money we pay a yearly 2.5% of the money, only if the amount didn't change, for example if i have 100 US dollars and it remained in my account for 1 year i pay two dollars and half, if i used that money [ for food or clothes etc, not for commercial purpose] before the year end then i don't have to pay anything.
Amount:
Zakat is only payable on assets continuously owned over one lunar year that are in excess of the nisab, a minimum monetary value. The nisab is calculated after adding the cash value of zakatable assets (gold, silver, cash, stocks, merchandise for business, livestock, etc.). Personal assets such as clothing, household furniture, and one residence are not considered zakatable assets. The nisab for all valuables (gold, silver, money etc) is the value of 87.48 grams (7.5 tola) of gold or value of 612.36 grams (52.5 tola) of silver (at world prices) whichever is less. For example, if the value of 87 grams of gold is $3000 and 606 grams of silver is $400 then the nisab would be US $400 which mean if anyone has savings (in terms of money, gold or silver etc) of worth more than $400 then he/she has to pay zakat accordingly. Some people often get confused with gold prices that are at far distance from silver prices and set the nisab according to gold which is wrong.
Nisab : (how much to pay )
Nisab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Recipients:
1-Those living in absolute poverty (Al-Fuqar').
2-Those restrained because they cannot meet their basic needs (Al-Maskn).
3-The zakat collectors themselves (Al-milna 'Alaih).
4-Non-Muslims who are sympathetic to Islam or wish to convert to Islam (Al-Mu'allafatu Qulbuhum).
5-People whom one is attempting to free from slavery or bondage. Also includes paying ransom or blood money (Diyya). (Fir-Riqb)
6-Those who have incurred overwhelming debts while attempting to satisfy their basic needs (Al-Ghrimn).
7-Those working in God's way (F Sablillh).
8- Children of the street / Travellers (Ibnus-Sabl).
i think you didn't expect this but yeah that's what we pay here.
Plus, there are things we pay for like licence renewal ( Cars, shops, Visa etc ).
Non-Saudi pay huge tax yearly, lately the Saudi gov made new tax on non-saudi people.
We don't pay Zakat to the government, we pay to the 8 types above directly.

Back
Top Bottom