What's new

Strange structure

thesuker

先輩
20 May 2014
Hi, I'm currently reading a manga comic (in English) which keeps the title pages in original Japanese. I'm intrigued by a structure that I've seen repeated several times:

そのXXXXXは!?

For example:
その運命は!?
その先には!?

What does the author try to convey by using this structure?

Foreshadowing, and perhaps just a bit of laziness at coming up with titles.

This sounds like it comes from something aimed at rather young readers and probably rather formulaic (like a Hardy Boys book, or an old multi-part cowboy serial). You have to expect a certain amount of repetitiousness from stuff like that. It's mass-produced chewing gum for the brain, not lofty literature. Not knocking it, by any means, just pointing out possible reasons.

Yeah, it's from a しょうねん aimed at a teenage/young adult audience (なまえの漫画は犬夜叉です)I guess he used that structure because there's already a lot of text around the pictures on the front page and a full sentence wouldn't fit in. どうもありがとう for the help :)

Yeah, it's from a しょうねん aimed at a teenage/young adult audience (なまえの漫画は犬夜叉です)I guess he used that structure because there's already a lot of text around the pictures on the front page and a full sentence wouldn't fit in. どうもありがとう for the help :)

Quite welcome. Try that "the name of the manga is..." sentence one more time.

Back
Top Bottom