What's new

Strange Kanji "今"

22 Jan 2005
I've learned some words combined with "今", such as 今夜,今年,今週,今月. But when I read the word "今度", I felt strange, if I didn't learn this word I would think it means "this time" not "next time". :)
How come the word "今度" means "next time"?

Yes, it's confusing... it confused me at first
今度 does in fact mean "next time".

you'll hear something like: 今度行きましょう!
Just to add a bit of confusion, 今回 does in fact mean "this time". I always thought of 今度 as not necessarily the "very next time" but sometime in the future. Seemed to help a lot.

今度 also means this time,now,another time -> hence the mata kondo (また今度) = see you next time,until next time :) Japanese(and Chinese) use so many weird kanji combinations...sometimes it's not that easy to get their meaning.

RockLee said:
今度 also means this time,now,another time -> hence the mata kondo (また今度) = see you next time,until next time :) Japanese(and Chinese) use so many weird kanji combinations...sometimes it's not that easy to get their meaning :S
It has that meaning, but I never use 今度 for this time or now....今回 is used a lot, as gp mentioned, and not only for this time but 'this time' but 'latest' or 'current' or just 'this' in English (今回の事件). It is confusing for sure....although at least the strangeness will wear off with time. 😅

"今度"
1 [times] the condition of being at the present time
this round (boxing,golf) / this / this time / this inning (baseball) / now
"今度の波は大きい。"
2 the next time
another time / next time / next / coming
"今度の日曜日に会いましょう。"
3 the near future
near future
"今度遊びに行きます。"
4 [recently] recently
last / the other day / recent / recent days