What's new

Song lyrics

In this case, I think it's the omission of いつの日か笑い合えたらいい(のに).

Ah, my bad, it is indeed 合えたら*

Actually, I just noticed that. I've been translating it is 'can meet smiling' but if it's masu stem + 合う then that changes it a bit, doesn't it? I always overlook those two...
笑い合う means "to smile each other".

Ohhh! I got lazy with the kanji after talking to another girl about it (who had also seen it as 'can meet.') Thank you noticing that, Glenn. :p

I'm a bit confused about the meaning now, though. Doesn't たらいいのに mean something like 'you should have...'?

Sorry, I totally missed that there was a second page, hence the odd-seeming responses.

たらいいのに is more like "I wish/hope (though)". "Should have would be すればよかった.

EDIT: Oh, just saw your post, Glenn!

So it's more like "Though I wish that we will be reborn and can smile at each other again [if that doesn't happen] I won't forget you"?

Sorry, I'm a little confused... it's incorrect to to translate it as 'if' here, isn't it? (If you're referring to what I originally thought it was, I saw it as "if we are reborn (meaning that might not happen) then in that life I will not forget you.")

I changed my previous post a bit - "though I wish that we will be reborn and can smile at each other again [if that doesn't happen] I won't forget you" - is that correct?

Or just "I wish that we will be reborn and can smile at each other again someday .... I won't forget you."

It's just

I wish that we will be reborn and can smile at each other.
I won't forget you.

There is no relation between the two lines.
(I said また生まれ変わっていつの日か笑い合えたら、君を忘れない can mean "I will forget you unless we will be reborn and can smile at each other", and it's weird.)

Back
Top Bottom