What's new

Some questions about 「に」, 「それがすなわち」 and 「ゆえ」

Yoshie

先輩
Reaction score
I've been reading a novel, and there're some parts I can't completely understand.

分かりやすいところでは敗者からの妬みつらみ有名税、人物像の一人歩き、あらぬ期待や噂話。過激なものでは殺害予告、崇拝脅迫などなどと……
I have a question about the usage of に in the following sentence. Is the speaker simply listing the facts "Jealousy from the defeated, the price of fame, (not sure if it is correct translation for 人物像の一人歩き) being alone for the whole life(?), groundless expectations and rumors."? If the part 「敗者からの妬みつらみ有名税 」 was written like this - 「有名税に敗者からの妬みつらみ」, I'd say that に has the meaning close to として, of all 有名税 he got 妬みつらみ from the 敗者.

どうしようもなく“勝利”を手にしてしまったのだ。それがすなわち、地獄への片道切符に変貌するということをついぞ甘くみたままに……
死神が呼び寄せられる。手に負えない艱難辛苦が訪れる。
Here I'm not sure how to correctly understand 「それがすなわち」? それが connects to the whole phrase 「地獄への片道切符に変貌するということをついぞ甘くみたままに」 or only to 「地獄への片道切符に変貌する」? "In other words, I'm again understimated the fact that 'something' is 「地獄への片道切符に変貌する」."

(In both examples the sentence ends with 「……」 it was in the source like this, I didn't remove anything.)

むしろ手にした奇跡を呼び水に、よりおぞましい新たな試練を組み込んで運命を駆動させるのだ。 それが“逆襲”と呼ばれるものの本質。 弱者が強者を滅ぼすからこそ成立する概念は、ゆえ逆説的に、勝利の栄華を手にしてしまえば執行資格を失ってしまう。
Not sure about parts in bold, I tried to translate it, could you please check it?
"The conception is coming into existence (precisely because/with) the weak defeating the strong, that is why paradoxically, if obtain the glory of victory into your hands, you lose the qualification to carry it(the conception) out."

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
1)
に is just for listing examples.
人物像の一人歩き means that the image of the person, which is different from their real character, is widely spread among people.

2)
それ refers to どうしようもなく“勝利”を手にしてしまったこと or just 勝利. Although I think「どうしようもなく“勝利”を手にしてしまったこと」が、すなわち、「地獄への片道切符に変貌する」 and 「勝利」が、すなわち、「地獄への片道切符に変貌する」 are basically the same in meaning.

勝利が、すなわち、地獄への片道切符に変貌するということをついぞ甘くみたままに、どうしようもなくを“勝利”手にしてしまったのだ makes more sense, maybe?

3)
Isn't that ゆえ逆説的に?
概念 refers to 逆襲.

Yoshie

先輩
Reaction score
Thank you very much for help!
I forgot to write the first sentence, it sould be like this -
一世一代、最後の博打。そして俺はなんの因果か勝ってしまい・・・・・・ どうしようもなく“勝利”を手にしてしまったのだ。それがすなわち、地獄への片道切符に変貌するということをついぞ甘くみたままに……
But I guess, it doesn't change the meaning?

Maybe it is a typo, but it was like this - 「ゆえ逆説的に」 in the source.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to write the first sentence, it sould be like this -
一世一代、最後の博打。そして俺はなんの因果か勝ってしまい・・・・・・ どうしようもなく“勝利”を手にしてしまったのだ。それがすなわち、地獄への片道切符に変貌するということをついぞ甘くみたままに……
But I guess, it doesn't change the meaning?
Yeah, the interpretation is not changed.

Maybe it is a typo, but it was like this - 「ゆえ逆説的に」 in the source.
I see. Then, the text contains the typo.