What's new

So I've been making homemade kimchi, but...

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
Do you folks put oil sardines in your kimchi mix ?
I found that it really gives it that cool Korean taste. I got that idea years ago from watching the Koreans make their kimchi. Of course I don't have their ingredients but what did catch my attention was that they'd put a few sardines in their kimchi. Actually it comes out real good. Try it and let us know what you think.

I have never tried it with sardines but that sounds interesting. I usually eat my kimchi with tofu and sesame oil. And sometimes add nattou into the mix.

During many years of eating kimchi in both the ROK and here in Japan I have eaten at least 30 to 40 different types of kimchi more than a few times each of those and then probably a hundred different styles at least once. I am afraid I have a forgiving taste system and found all to be just fine, except sometimes some were excessively spicy. Unfortunately, by medical necessity, my kimchi eating days are pretty much over. I cheat once in a blue moon.

Do either of you use the winter months and the proper kind of pots stored in the ground to age your kimchi? Maybe "age" is the wrong vocabulary. Whatever that long creation process is called after you carefully layer the ingredients into the pot. I've watched many mama-sans doing it many years ago. And a famous fish pond fella in Hachioji City used to do the same and made great kimchi.

But I suspect the styles of kimchis out there are way into the hundreds. In fact, kimchi is a sort of catch-all vocabulary like alcohol is when referring to the dongdong-ju that goes great with kimchi. Or all those other alcohol drinks. If you've had dongdong-ju then you have really hit the nail on the head when it comes to fine Korean alcohol.

Before makoli was legal we used to buy it in plastic containers that were sort of like bags. Soju was unreliable for alcohol strength in those days, too. Major Kim, who I worked for, used to pour a little on the table at the KATUSA snack bar and light a match to it before he would actually pay for it. Being who his family was they never gave him a hard time about soju that was opened and not paid for. Actually, a major in the ROK Army was normally not allowed to go into a KATUSA snack bar, but he was very special. And I mean way up there on that very strict social ladder that I think still exists in the ROK. Sorry, drifted off-topic like a professional jiji.

Many KATUSA snack bars made their own kimchi right there on the U.S. military facilities and the U.S. military food inspectors didn't bother them.

What is bad about kimchi? Too much sodium?
Mighty interesting quest your question led me on, and I will hope not to get in trouble deciding this site was not so bad at covering certain medical situations related to the food, and sodium is obviously one possibility. Great other facts about kimchi on this page, too.

My case was after the great fun at eating the food and after it had been properly processed by my system I then had a problem with the exit of what remained and that was after I had to have an operation related to the last door out of that processed food exit system. (Phrased in a non-medical way, of course. All age groups can be allowed to read it. Especially those of us in my age bracket who don't want to be exposed again to those harsh medical staff words that we normally heard when dealing with that problem.)

Back
Top Bottom