What's new

Size of Tokyo, Amount Of People

arnadstephen

先輩
8 Oct 2002
The size of Tokyo, amount of people and complexity.

What other cities can compare with;
->PARIS
->NEW-YORK-CITY
->MEXICO-CITY
->RIO IN BRAZIL
->LONDON
->ISTANBUL

I recommend this site for population comparison :
Large International Urbanized Areas: Population & Density

As you can see, Tokyo (30million people) is not comparable with any of the cities you listed or with any others, because it's much bigger. It's like New York (17,8m) and London (12,2m) together, which are the largest cities in America and Europe, respectively.

Of course that is always for the metropolitan area or "greater" Tokyo/NY/London/etc. Tokyo itslef only has 12m people, 8 of which live in central Tokyo (23-ku). But as you can't see the separation between Tokyo, Kawasaki, Yokohama, Saitama and Chiba, it's really a single metropolis. Most people living in Saitama and Kanagawa-prefecture actually commute to Tokyo everyday.

What makes Tokyo unique ? It's the largest city in the world, one of the safest, most convenient and ugliest. :D

The big difference with NYC, London or Paris is the lack of cosmopolitanism and the fact that most people are Asian (99% Japanese of course), not Caucasians. Another notable exception is that Tokyo hasn't got one city center, but several (Otemachi-Nihombashi, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, Akasaka, Ginza-Shimbashi, Asakusa-Ueno, then even Yokohama, Urawa, etc.). There is no predominant center at all, or should it be all the Yamanote area, which is twice larger than Paris ?

Tokyo certainly is the largest city (in population) compared to any other cities in the world. But I'm not sure whether Tokyo is larger (in size) compared to London or LA.

After 28 years here I conclude that Toko is 70km long by 35km deep.( 2,450 square kilometers). Stat based on here the rice paddies start. All suburbs meld into one city.

London is puny in comparsion.

Buy a motorbike and see for yourself.

Tokyo? Very untrue. It is remarkably clean for its size & population. It may very well be the most polluted in some particular category. That, I would believe.

last i heard houston, texas is the most polluted city america. also, not that it has much to do with the subject, san antonio is the most obese.

Glad to hear that Tokyo isn't the most polluted city in the world. .-. Then that means my teacher was wrong. -_-' I feel so dumb for actually believeing him._.

Back
Top Bottom