What's new

Singing girlish songs in karaoke as a male?

4 Apr 2014
Is it normal for a guy to sing feminine songs in karaoke in Japan? By feminine songs i mean songs which have explicitly feminine lyrics and perhaps song which have not been performed by male singers yet (obviously song which have been performed by both male and female singers such as 翼をください are out of question)

While i understand that as long as everyone is having fun - you're doing it right, i wonder if such cross-gender performance is generally accepted and wide-spread.

I see. The reason i'm asking is because in Russia karaoke is a popular pastime too, although i can't imagine a guy singing a girl's part here and vice versa. Had a guess that in Japan it might be different.

My impression is that singing songs performed by female artists is perfectly okay for a man, particularly if it's a well-known popular song. It's actually much better than singing songs that are originally performed by a man but nobody who's there with you knows, for example if you'd be hanging out with colleagues from work and started singing songs from late-night anime.
Popularity >>> source > male/female vocals.

@kurapan that's another reason for my question. Songs performed by females seem to be prevailing in everyday environment. Be it an OP or ED of some anime or drama, random song on youtube or radio, or CD's of female singers / bands with female vocalists. Consequently about 80% of songs i know well enough to sing at karaoke are those sung by females. Not that i'm complaining though. 20% is still enough to choose one's 十八番 from.

I assume the OP is asking about singing songs written for a female point of view.

A good example is the Animals' rendition of "The House of the Rising Sun," originally an old folk song of unknown authorship that speaks from a female viewpoint. The singer is supposed to be a young woman or girl who's run away from a whorehouse known as the Rising Sun, which "has been the ruin of many a poor girl." The Animals changed the lyrics slightly to allow for a male viewpoint.

Back
Top Bottom