What's new

Several questions for natives/language experts. Thanks

nhk9

先輩
27 Aug 2004
Here are some words that I got from several sources that I am not sure about, hope our native speakers or language experts can help, thanks.

えてして見かけ倒し - I broke it down and "ete shite" is prone to be, and "mikaketaoshi" is "appearance is deceiving", but combined together the phrase just don't sound right. Is it a set phrase?

なにぶん - The dictionary gives "douzo", but I am not sure how to translate this to English

ういっす - it maybe equivalent to "good morning", but do only males use this one?

あいにく - the dictionary gives several usages, including "unfortunately". In Japanese, how does one express the idea of "fortunately" and "unfortunately"? My guess is that "fortunately is "幸運にも"、and unfortunately to be あいにく、 or 残念ながら, but I am not 100% sure. I don't want it to sound very katai in conversation though

よかた - I might have heard this wrong, but something which sound similar to this may mean "face", as in "saving face'

ここ数年 - I have heard this several times, but isn't the grammar here wrong? Shouldn't it be KONO suunen?

"…"とばかりに - my grammar books says it should be "to iu you ni"... am I right to say that this one only appears in kakikotoba?

Thanks everyone

えてして見掛け倒し is not a set phrase.
見掛け倒し means to give false impression, i.e. it is weaker/less powerful/not so good as it looks.
If one says XXX is えてして見掛け倒し, it means "XXX tends to be less (you can name any adjective meaning good) than it looks".

なにぶん - its meaning varies depending on the context.
It is equivalent to douzo or douka when used with yoroshiku onegaishimasu (according to dictionary) but for me such a usage is rare.
It is often used as a kind of pretext for an excuse. Maybe close to "that said"? I'm not sure...
e.g.
なにぶん子どものことですから、許してやってください
But he's only a child, so please let it pass.

ういっす -
Indeed it 'developped' from "good morning", and yes, it is used mostly by males. Some young girls might use it among friends but not common.

あいにく - the dictionary gives several usages, including "unfortunately". In Japanese, how does one express the idea of "fortunately" and "unfortunately"? My guess is that "fortunately is "幸運にも"、and unfortunately to be あいにく、 or 残念ながら, but I am not 100% sure. I don't want it to sound very katai in conversation though

There are many expression to show one's regret, sorrow, etc. and opposite.
Unfortunately
あいにく and 残念ながら are very common. If you want to sound more casual, how about 残念だけど?
Fortunately
幸運にも and ありがたいことに are the words that came to my mind.
There could be many other words, you may want to hear other's comments.
😌

よかた - I cannot think of a words/phrase that sounds like this and have meaning "face"... sorry. Face as in saving face is 面目(めんもく) but it sounds quite different. (Surely it is not よかった?)

ここ数年
It is possible to say この数年, but ここ数年 is also correct.
ここ does not refer to the closeness of only the space but in timespan as well.
ここ数日、ここ2、3年、ここ何週間か etc. are commonly used.
There's a similar expression which sounds like to indicate a place, but actually time: このところ (these days)

Maybe a "full version" of ~とばかりに is ~といわんばかりに (as if to say/to iuyou ni). It's rather old way of expression, it can be used in conversation but more used in writing, as you guessed.

Hope the above helps a bit. 😅

undrentide said:
なにぶん - its meaning varies depending on the context.
It is equivalent to douzo or douka when used with yoroshiku onegaishimasu (according to dictionary) but for me such a usage is rare.
It is often used as a kind of pretext for an excuse. Maybe close to "that said"? I'm not sure...
e.g.
なにぶん子どものことですから、許してやってください
But he's only a child, so please let it pass.

This usage makes me think that it's like "at any rate."

undrentide said:
There are many expression to show one's regret, sorrow, etc. and opposite.
Unfortunately
あいにく and 残念ながら are very common. If you want to sound more casual, how about 残念だけど?
Fortunately
幸運にも and ありがたいことに are the words that came to my mind.
There could be many other words, you may want to hear other's comments.
(Sorry, this computer is not yet configured to type in Japanese)
For "fortunately", the first phrase that pops into my mind is "saiwai ni mo" or "saiwai na koto ni"

Mikawa Ossan said:
(Sorry, this computer is not yet configured to type in Japanese)
For "fortunately", the first phrase that pops into my mind is "saiwai ni mo" or "saiwai na koto ni"
Or just saiwai (ni) is how I usually see it, if he really wants to sound casual. 😌

Thanks to everyone and especially undrentide san for the support and insightful answers. I think my Japanese has gotten just a bit better now. I have just a couple of curiosities here, hope I am not too indulging myself

Fresh - I know that there's a word for this: 新鮮、but it seems like those fishermen in fish markets yell something different for "fresh" as in "hey, buy these fresh fish"!

Rip off - I heard from my friend who's from osaka that 'rip off' is something like "potakkuru", but I can't find that in the dictionary. Is there such a word? If not, how could I say "I got ripped off by the sakana-ya-san" in colloquial Japanese?

nhk9 said:
Thanks to everyone and especially undrentide san for the support and insightful answers. I think my Japanese has gotten just a bit better now. I have just a couple of curiosities here, hope I am not too indulging myself
Fresh - I know that there's a word for this: 新鮮、but it seems like those fishermen in fish markets yell something different for "fresh" as in "hey, buy these fresh fish"!
Rip off - I heard from my friend who's from osaka that 'rip off' is something like "potakkuru", but I can't find that in the dictionary. Is there such a word? If not, how could I say "I got ripped off by the sakana-ya-san" in colloquial Japanese?
生魚(まざかな) is another way of putting it, although to me it sounds not only like freshly caught but eating before cooking. Fresh or raw fish...生きがいいですね。😅

I think that's an error of hearing for botakkuru.

Elizabeth said:
生魚(まざかな) is another way of putting it, although to me it sounds not only like freshly caught but eating before cooking. Fresh or raw fish...生きがいいですね。
I think that's an error of hearing for botakkuru.
生魚(なまざかな)refers to raw fish, not necessarily fresh.
Fresh fish is commonly called 鮮魚(せんぎょ)at supermarkets and fishmongers.

Bottakuri is right. It has become acceptable in standard Japanese only recently.
?ڂ???????, ?ڂ???????
I personally think ぼったくり comes from the combination of ぼる (definition: to overcharge; deriving from the verb むさぼる or noun 暴利(ぼうり or unreasonably high interest rate or profit margin ) according to Daijirin) and ひったくり (definition: robbing, taking something away forcibly; also refers to the crime of purse snatching).

ぼったくり, ぼったくる
■ ぼったくり refers to unfair overcharging for a product or service, often by first quoting a lower price and then demanding a much higher payment later. In Japan, ぼったくり is most common in the sex and entertainment businesses, with sex service shops and bars apparently the most flagrant culprits. ぼったくり schemes aimed at tourists are common throughout the world. Possible English translations include "scam" and "ripoff." An old American slang term for a ぼったくり establishment is "clip joint."

The verb ぼったくる means "to rip someone off."

□ Although the word dates back to at least the early 20th Century (according to 隠語大辞典) and was used in newspaper articles and government documents for some time, it did not appear in any standard Japanese-Japanese dictionary until February 2001, when the fifth edition of 三省堂国語辞典 added it.

◇ 「ぼったくり防止条例」東京都議会が可決 全国で初
性風俗店やバーなどでの不当な勧誘や料金取り立てなどを規制する通称「ぼったくり防止条例」が、4日の東京都議会第3回定例会の本会議で原案通り可決された。東京・歌舞伎町などの繁華街で被害が相次いでいるため、全国で初めて条例での規制に乗り出す。11月1日に施行される。
同条例は、店側に料金などの表示を義務づけるとともに、料金を偽った客引き行為や乱暴な料金の取り立てを禁じ、違反者には1年以下の懲役、100万円以下の罰金などが科せられる。対象地域は当面、被害が多いとされる新宿、池袋、渋谷、上野に限定する。(Asahi Shimbun Web site, October 5, 2000)

近年、新宿、池袋、上野等東京を代表する繁華街において悪質な客引きや捨て看板等の広告宣伝等により料金が実際より著しく安価であると誤信させ、あるいは粗野又は乱暴な言動等の手段によって、実際には何倍もの料金を巻き上げるいわゆる暴利バーや個室マッサージ(性風俗)店等における「ぼったくり事案」が多発しております。(Tokyo Metropolitan Government Web site, October 2000)

ぼったくり
基本的に全ての場面で、金銭的なぼったくりは日常茶飯事です。ガソリンスタンドや両替商、駐車場などの公共的な施設でも平然とぼったくりは行われています。私などは、モール街の駐車場料金を通常料金の100倍もの料金を何度も請求されました。(Web, October 2000)

ここでは私や私の周りの人が実際に遭遇したスリとボッタクリタクシー、ボッタクリショップの手口についてご紹介します。このマニュアルが皆さんの防犯意識を高め、快適な香港ライフに少しでも役立てば幸いです。(Web, October 2000)

昼頃駅前のスーパーに行って、予約しておいた洗濯機の糸屑取りを取る。が、中味には280円とかいてある(納入伝票)なのに、消費者である私は400円+税金取られた。そういう裏方仕事はみせないで~。じゃないと、いくら流通のしくみは分かってはいても「あっ、ぼったくった!」と思ってしまうのが、消費者の感覚なのだ。

毛色違いたちも、経済大国日本から来ていますから、一般庶民のタイ人では、彼らの満足する額のお金の持ち合わせがないことを知っています。 そうなると、ターゲットは、気心の知れた日本人相手の「ぼったくり」と「だまし」です。 それも、ぼったくる相手はタイについて初心者であればあるほどいいわけです。タイの物価を知らない初心者は、まず、ぼったくられていることにも気づかない。(Web, October 2000)

マレーシアで、8時間も待ち時間があるので、市街地で、食事をする事にした。飛行機で知り合った、関根武志さんと、一緒に旅をする勝矢と、私の3人で、タクシーに乗り、市街地まで行った。空港で,つかまえた(つかまった?)タクシーは、白タクで、片道55RMも取られた。日本円だと、1800円ぐらいだった。相当、ぼったくられた気がする。 (Web, October 2000)

えぬてぃーてぃー【NTT】〈名詞〉
税金で電話線を張りめぐらして、ぼったくっている株式会社。料金値上げはどう釈明しようとも、株価対策であることは明白である。(Web, October 2000)

最近では、パワーウインドウがスイッチ部分とモーター部分の両方が壊れた。彼女がディーラーに直してもらったら、モーター部分は、モーターの制御部分が壊れているだけだったのに、勝手に全部替えられ、モーター部分で20000円もかかった。スイッチ部分も全部が壊れているわけではなく、スイッチ部分だけで35000円かかった。たぶん女性だからと、ぼったくった所もある。(Web, October 2000)

"He ripped me off."「(彼は、私をぼったくった。)ぼったくられた」という意味である。(Web, October 2000)

「ぼったくる」は「ぼる + たくる」でしょう。動詞「ぼる」は「ゆうべ怪しげな飲み屋でぼられた」なんて使い方をしますし、「たくる」のほうは「化粧を塗りたくる」のように使います。若者ことばというわけではなく、「ぼったくりバー」など、昔から使われています。(Web, October 2000)
(This citation gives an explanation, perhaps speculative, for the word's origin.)

1.「ぼったくりバー」の手口
(1)「ぼったくりバー」の勧誘のしかた
これまで寄せられた相談によると、「ぼったくりバー」は歌舞伎町にあり、勧誘員(若い男性であるケースが多いが、女装している勧誘員もいるとのこと)が新宿二丁目の新宿公園や仲通り20代~30代位のゲイをターゲットに、「お酒を飲みに行こう」などと言って個別にナンパして、タクシーに乗せてバーに連れていくのがパターンです。
(2)「ぼったくりバー」に入ったら
「ぼったくりバー」では水割りをかなり飲ませて悪酔いさせたり、酒が飲めない場合には向精神薬入りと思われるジュースなどを飲ませて寝させたり、判断力を低下させたりするそうです。サービスを拒否して帰ろうとしたところ、店員や暴力団風の男性数名などに取り囲まれて数十万円の金額を請求され、脅迫されて金品やキャッシュカードを奪われ、暗証番号を言わされ数十万円をとられたというケースがあります。
(3)「会計」で数十万円を請求される
しばらく飲食をした後、暴力団風の男性に「会計」と称して数十万円を請求され、払えない場合には店員などに取り囲まれてキャッシュカードをとられ、暗証番号を言わされて、金を引き落とされるようです。その間、数時間にわたって監禁されるようです。カードをとられた上、暗証番号を言わされて被害額が数百万円に及んだケースもあるようです。
(4)「ぼったくりバー」はおそらく1軒ないし数軒
ほぼ同じ様な手口を使っているところから考えて、ゲイをターゲットにした「ぼったくりバー」はおそらく1~2軒であり、通常のバーの営業が終了した後に、特定の集団が深夜から朝にかけてお店を借りるなどして「ぼったくりバー」の営業をしているものと推測されます。これらの「ぼったくりバー」の運営には、当然、暴力団などの犯罪組織が絡んでいるものと思われます。(Web, October 2000)
(The above citation describes the operation of clip joints that target gay men in Tokyo.)

Back
Top Bottom