What's new

Sentences in daily conversations.

britt

Registered
22 Apr 2017
Hello, my name is Britt and I've been studying Japanese for almost two years now.
I made a survey about sentences in daily conversations that contain 'ぜんぜん'.
I would like it if native Japanese speakers could answer my questionnaire.
this is the link:
日常会話の文章の判断
Thank you.

こんにちは、私の名前はブリットです。
私は今、日本学科の二年生です。
常会話の文章について調査しています。
日本語のネイティブスピーカーが私のアンケートに答えることができれば嬉しいです。
よろしくお願いします。
これはリンクです:
日常会話の文章の判断

While not a native Japanese speaker, i can tell you right of the bat that the only natural sounding sentence in your survey is この数学の問題は全然わからない。
太郎はペットの世話が全然できない is fine too.
As for the other sentences - they are unnatural, and some are outright wrong grammatically.

I'd be a bit wary of giving authoritative-sounding opinions about this sort of thing if you're not a native speaker.

Leaving aside what traditionalists and prescriptive types might say, 全然違います and 全然大丈夫 are very commonly heard in daily conversation. 全然間に合わない is also certainly not unnatural or ungrammatical in any way.

There are other mitigating factors here, and some of the 全然+affirmative verb combinations are definitively unnatural, but I suspect that's the point of the survey.

Last edited:
I'd be a bit wary of giving authoritative-sounding opinions about this sort of thing if you're not a native speaker.

Leaving aside what traditionalists and prescriptive types might say, 全然違います and 全然大丈夫 are very commonly heard in daily conversation. 全然間に合わない is also certainly not unnatural or ungrammatical in anyway.

There are certainly other mitigating factors here, and some of the 全然+affirmative verb combinations are certainly unnatural, but I suspect that's the point of the survey.

Thank you :)
It is indeed the point of the survey that some are purposely unnatural

I watched the recent Natsu Basho, when i heard the broadcaster say:「稀勢の里は勝ちました!しかし千代の国、全然よく攻めました!」
That was probably the first time i heard 全然 with an affirmative verb.
And then i recalled this thread.

I believe what he said was actually 稀勢の里勝ちました!しかし千代の国善戦。よく攻めました!...

EDIT:
I found the video. (1:27~)

Last edited:
Oh, he definitely said が, my mistake. As for 善戦, thanks for enriching my vocabulary, Toritoribeさん. If it was 全然, the pause between it and よく攻めました wouldn't be so long anyway.

Incidentally, almost all dictionaries say that 善戦する means just "to fight well", and indeed the present or future tense means so, but the past form 善戦した is always used only for losers, thus, it actually means "fought well but was defeated". Furthermore, the subject of 善戦する is always "weaker", so 横綱が平幕に善戦した is invalid even when Yokozuna is defeated.

Oh, i see. Always good to know those deeper intricacies of a particular linguistic unit.
What i like about Toritoribe's answers is that he provides that extra knowledge just in case, without even being asked for it.

Back
Top Bottom