What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Seijin no Hi: record low number of Japanese reach adulthood

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
This year, the number of young adults celebrating their Coming of Age fell by 40,000 over last year, reflecting Japan's declining birthrate. Disillusioned, risk-averse twenty-year-olds contribute to a perpetuation of Japan's stagnation and gerontocratic politics:

Studies of young Japanese attitudes towards work and business suggest that the country's relentless demographic woes have nurtured a desire for stability above all else. A number of 20-year-olds told the Financial Times that their central ambition was to join a company and avoid risk. Starting a business represented a terrifying leap into the unknown, said several. For similar reasons, the support for the ruling Liberal Democratic party among young people is higher than among other generations. That reflected a view among 20-year-olds that the political landscape was unlikely to ever change, said Junji Nakagawa, a professor at Chuo Gakuin University. "They don't think the economy will get better in the future because the economy has been growing at a very low pace as far as they can remember. The number of students who want to become local public servants has increased recently as they want stability," said Nakagawa. A 19-year-old male student who will be newly counted as an adult from April said he voted for an LDP candidate last October. "We are literally in a state of emergency with Covid-19, so how can I suddenly entrust my will to another party? I can't trust any," said the student, who did not want to be named. "So that's why I want things to be kept as they are."

Record low number of Japanese reach adulthood as demographic woes deepen

Top Bottom