What's new

Romaji to hiragana/katakana/kanji translation/conversion program?

Stuart

後輩
22 Jul 2003
Hi everyone,
Just a quick question which i can't see the answer having been posted before.
Is there such a thing as a romaji to hiragana/katakana/kanji translation/conversion program ? Where I just type in romaji and it gives me the possible options in either of the three kana outputs.
Thanks in advance
Stuart

Without it being a conversion program, Microsoft Japanese IME (Input Method Editor) does that to some extent. When you type a word, let's say, in hiragana (which you type on your romaji keyboard; k+i to typeき), when you press the space bar, the program transforms it to the most likely kanji/kana for the situation. If you press Enter, then the kanji/kana is set in your text. If you use the arrow keys, a shortcut menu appears displaying all the possible characters (in the case of き there are 68 possible characters). In some cases, the program also gives brief explanations on the use of certain ambiguous expressions such as 感心、関心、and 歓心, for example (all are written kanshin, are somewhat related, but are all used in different situations.) If you go to the Microsoft Web site, search for IME, and select the appropriate IME according to your OS.

YES!

Hey yes such a thing does exsist! go to njstar.com - it's amazing it has word processors for Japanese, Chinese and even Korean. I have used it for both Japanese and Chinese and it's great. You just write the word in romaji and it comes up in either hiragana, katakana or you can choose the kanji for it. And it's free!

Hi everyone,
Just a quick question which i can't see the answer having been posted before.
Is there such a thing as a romaji to hiragana/katakana/kanji translation/conversion program ? Where I just type in romaji and it gives me the possible options in either of the three kana outputs.
Thanks in advance
Stuart

This one's the best if you want one for free

Here's a site that I use most of the time:

I order to write in katakana, you just need to press shift key or caps lock (for example き = caps lock + k +i or shift + k + shift + i)

In order to write small kana characters, write that character followed by '=' (i.e. っ = つ + =)

But in order to write しゃ for example, typing s+h+a would be enough.

Back
Top Bottom