What's new

Religon in Schools

Gackt21

Gackt's Queen
3 Aug 2008
Does government have the right to banned religon from schools?

Do you think your rights are being threaten by big government?

What does the constitution of the United States say?

What is the veiw point of the bible?

Answer these for me then I will give you the conseritive answer. I just want to hear what you have to say.

Banned how? From being preached, yes. From lessons, no. All religious viewpoints should be taught at schools, none being put on a higher pedestal than any other. They should be taught in equal measure and as objectively as a lesson can be.

Which rights? Be more specific (although I suspect which ones you are refering to)

The US constitution is a godless document. AFAIK it gives freedom of religion to all. ie: do not opress those who follow a different belief. As I am not American and do not live in the US, this doesn't overly bother me.

What has that got to do with it? Might as well ask what is the view point of the Buddhist sutras or the upanisads.

Answer these for me then I will give you the conseritive answer. I just want to hear what you have to say.
Why not just tell us in your OP, rather than try to avoid your opinions before getting other peoples opinions?

I think religion should be taught in schools, but in the way that 'these are people's beliefs' and then people can make their own decision what they believe. I mean, to not mention it at all is leaving out something important, because even if lots of people are atheist, even so lots of people have religious or spiritual beliefs too, and that influences how they think and feel, and that links in with a lot of other things, so it's important to know about such things.

Yes I do think my rights are being threatened by the government, here in the UK with lots of surveillance, possibility of a compulsory ID card in the future, all the information that is gathered and kept about people and how it is used... no-one from government has done anything bad to me yet but I don't trust them. >.<

Yes.

With regard to the above? No.

You're American and a HS graduate. Don't you know? Start with the First Amendment.

Pointless where this is concerned.

Now answer me this one: why are you asking these questions? This is a forum about Japan, but the above don't seem to apply.

It has the right to keep the schools neutral or sacrilegious.

Like Mycernius pointed out, you are being a bit vague. However, in terms of separation of church and state, not at all.

U.S. Constitution

In terms of religion in school: it does not belong.

In terms of...? God created the heavens and Earth and everything we see.

Now answer me this one: why are you asking these questions? This is a forum about Japan, but the above don't seem to apply.

Kind of irrelevant, considering most of the topics in "Serious Discussion" have nothing to do with Japan.

Mycernius answered this pretty well. I couldn't have said it any better!

At least here the Christian culture (witch has been around for a long while and 85 per cent of the people are members of the church) is gradually being frowned upon in schools while muslim immigrants get support for islamic religion classes thaugt supposedly by muslim teachers (whitch I guess would be imaam's!) "because it's their culture", so my answer to the question would be a STRONG YES

I really don't care as it doesn't concern me in any way..

Perhaps you should elaborate..
If you were to follow the example of the first century jews, then the schooling would be pretty religiously oriented..

Please, elaborate on what you mean!

Does government have the right to ban religon from schools?
To ban public schools from teaching any particular religion as the one true path?
Yes, definitely.
To prevent any discussion of religion in social studies or history classes?

Of course not. I think there is certainly a place in schools to present the customs and beliefs of the major religions, without endorsing any one (or any at all) in particular. The more people know about their own religion as well as other religions the better.

Do you think your rights are being threatened by big government?
In what way?

I'm sure you could google it yourself but here you go:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

What is the view point of the bible?
Again regarding what?

When is it the governments business what its citizens believe. The country was started on with christian men drafting the constitution.

U.S. Constitution

Conseritives would say yes, because Muslims are allowed to do whatever they want and Christian can't because it would offend the Muslims. The USA was built on religous freedom.

U.S. Constitution

To me the bible is the one truth in the world. Others do not believe this.

Conseritives would say yes, because Muslims are allowed to do whatever they want and Christian can't because it would offend the Muslims. The USA was built on religous freedom.
What do Muslims doing ? all what they doing is praying or wearing "Hejab" ( Muslims women wearing Hejab ),so it's normal and it doesnt bother anyone non-muslim !!!

what do you mean by this
because it would offend the Muslims
??

it's a personal opinion and i respect it..

When is it the governments business what its citizens believe. The country was started on with christian men drafting the constitution.
U.S. Constitution
The constitution, which, as I pointed out, is a godless document, was written by deists, not christians. James Madison, who wrote it once said:

James Madison said:
"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."
"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."
Not the quote of a christian.

Thomas Paine, Ben Franklin, John Adams were deists, not christian. George Washington never professed any religious faith. Thomas Jefferson had this to say about christianity:
Thomas Jefferson said:
The Christian priesthood, finding the doctrines of Christ levelled to every understanding and too plain to need explanation, saw, in the mysticisms of Plato, materials with which they might build up an artificial system which might, from its indistinctness, admit everlasting controversy, give employment for their order, and introduce it to profit, power, and pre-eminence. The doctrines which flowed from the lips of Jesus himself are within the comprehension of a child; but thousands of volumes have not yet explained the Platonisms engrafted on them: and for this obvious reason that nonsense can never be explained."

Even the Treaty of Tripoli passed in1797 has this to say:
"The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."
So, in conclusion, the constitution was not drafted by christian men, not matter what the christian right try to say on their revisionist history. Quite easy to check, google is your friend

I had a feeling the rights you were going to mention were only religious rights.
You firstly try to claim the US was built on christian ideas (false) and then try to claim that it was built on religious freedoms (true). Make up your mind (HINT: the second is the correct one). I should also point out the most hated group in the US are $cientologists, followed by atheists (link)
Why are you singling out Muslims?

U.S. Constitution
Yes, you have told us once, no need to link again.

That is your opinion and you have a right to it, as long as you remember others have a right to theirs.

Bother someone ! why ? give me one reason !!
if i do anything with myself why does it bother someone else !
that's so funny !

How do you know? It might bother someone.
Only to braindead, ignorant bigots. What a Muslim woman feels she wants to wear is up to her, especially in secular countries like the US. A Hejab is a statement of her belief, no more offensive than a christian wearing a cross or a wiccan wearing a pentagram.

Only to braindead, ignorant bigots. What a Muslim woman feels she wants to wear is up to her, especially in secular countries like the US. A Hejab is a statement of her belief, no more offensive than a christian wearing a cross or a wiccan wearing a pentagram.

Amazing. Still, the world is full of idiots. And you see, regardless of your views of them, and regardless of any rights or anything, if they voice their opinion... who knows. Lets not mix up right and reality.

trust me,Muslims women are proud of that.and it's a culture matter ( Arabic Culture )..

but the question is not about their feeling,it's about the non-muslim feeling,why does it bother them ?

regards ^^

@Hezam

Well.. If it bothers someone, it might simply be because they are not used to people wearing them, feel uncomfortable because it's different, and don't know what it stands for.

I live in a place where there are not so many foreigners, but I'm friends with many of them and they tell me lots of stories that wary from puzzled looks from people to outright racism just because they are different. It seems that the more "international" a place gets, the less problems they face from this.

This is exactly the reason why I think schools should even teach more about different cultures, religions, and understanding their differences still underlining that we are all in the same boat here.

The world is only getting smaller!

Gackt21,

I repeat...

Hmm..
How do "quantium theory", "Russia's military incursion to Georgia", "North American Union", or "immigration policy in Europe" among others qualify?

Go ask in those threads too and I suppose the same goes for here.. :eek:

Gackt21,

I repeat...

This section is for serious discussions that need not be related to Japan. A sort of Off Japan section. I could also decibe it as a serious chit-chat and miscellanous section.🙂

Wait, what? If by "do whatever they want" you mean, wear religious garbs, then sure. That is no different than a Christian wearing a necklace of the cross or a "WWJD?" wristband. Schools should promote religious freedom, not favor one religion. They don't favor Islam by allowing Muslims to "do whatever they want", which is a pretty vague statement. By leading prayers in school and teaching Bible lessons they would be favoring Christianity, which is not their place to do so. Your link to the ACLU sums this up perfectly.

And, like Hezam, I am completely perplexed as to how a Christian "doing whatever they want" would offend a Muslim.

Religion has no place in school. It is just brainwashing children, plus discriminating against others who aren't signed in the class, either they don't belong to that faith, or their parents are atheists.

Religion has no place in school. It is just brainwashing children, plus discriminating against others who aren't signed in the class, either they don't belong to that faith, or their parents are atheists.

Religion has a place in religion class in school.

Back
Top Bottom