What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Rei Harakami-esque music

yes

Registered
Reaction score
Rei Harakami was a Japanese musician who gained some fame in Japan from 1996 to 2011. He died suddenly of a cerebral haemorrhage. No one says why this is, and they can happen suddenly, but my guess would be that it was a structural weakness against a major vessel exacerbated by tobacco usage (based a pic I found of him with a cigarette, don't touch that stuff kids).

I did a little research and his early works were made using nothing more than a Roland SC-88Pro sound module and a VS-880 hardware workstation. Roland eventually rereleased the 88Pro as a virtual plugin, and a DAW with basic 16 channel MIDI support will do the job just fine, I happen to have both in my possession.

I'm asking if anyone has any more knowledge on the music theory employed in his works and what presets he might have used. If I've come to the wrong place then I apologise.

mdchachi

Reaction score
It's a very specific question that is unlikely to find an answer here but you never know. Welcome to the forum.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
I rather enjoy Rei Harakami's music as well. I did a bit of Google searching and turned up the following interview, where he seems to go into a bit of detail (about the equipment and effects processing, at least; not so much about music theory, chords, etc.)

Music Communication Club - Interview 65 - Rei Harakami

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to type up a full translation now. I'm not sure what your level of Japanese is, but you could try plugging it into Google Translate, making sense of what you can, and asking here about any particular parts that you're curious about if Google Translate clearly isn't helping you (it's still a very unreliable tool for English/Japanese).

nahadef

Quietly exploding
Reaction score
I got to dj with him a few events where he played. He played interesting music. I dj'ed pretty weird stuff and he was receptive to it, more than the drunken party people usually did.

Can't help with the question, but it's a nice memory I haven't pulled up in a long time.
F9AAB863-2A10-4A7C-9187-A67504C3E344.jpeg

Top Bottom