What's new

Re: Evaluation: How will I be treated in Japan?

Hiroshi66

先輩
17 May 2004
I have heard from different sources how foreigners are treated in Japan. Some saw that you will be a target of racism and discrimination unprecedented in most parts of the world, and some say you will be treated kindly and formally.

I have heard that most cases of discrimination in that country occur in clubs and other places where the young "rule". Violent cases occur when you talk to a Japanese girl.

I am into Japanese pop culture, but when I go to Japan, I plan to live perhaps in Tokyo, but I also would like to live in places like Nara, Kyoto , or Kamakura. I would work in a white-collar job (I am IN NO WAY denoting blue-collar workers, but I know in Japan, the burakumin are heavily discriminated against, and if I was a foreign blue-collar worker, I might be heavily discriminated against) and spend my time around people in their 30s-40's. I would get married with someone Japanese. I would know the language perfectly, go to a college, and have a modest job (maybe even be a clerk or something for the LDP). I am a average build Armenian-American (we are white, just a little darker than Germans or Nordic peoples - kinda like French, Spanish, Italians, and to a modest extent, Greeks) with black hair, and I understand the traditional and modern customs. How would I be treated in Japan?

As an American, you would most likely find yourself subject to the college degree requirement for a working visa (unless you snag a J-bride, of course) and the odds that blue collar work would even be an option for you anyway are extraordinarily low.

Violent cases occur when you go around violent people, or around drunks, just as anywhere else in the world.

Discrimination in Japan seldom takes the form of physical violence, or any other open sign of hatred. It's mostly more of a "you ain't one of the club" type.

If you come to know the language perfectly, you will have my sincere and undying admiration.

My guess is that you would be treated well and greatly enjoy your life.

Some saw that you will be a target of racism and discrimination unprecedented in most parts of the world, and some say you will be treated kindly and formally.

In Japan, those two are by no means mutually exclusive. They not only exist side-by-side, they sometimes occur simultaneously.

Well, the reason I don't want to live in the capital is because its where racism really is most active. In the small towns, its more of a "you're different", or the laughing of schoolchildren yelling "Gaijin, Gaijin!" but I believe that in the small cities the violent racism which deals with clubbing (such as being beat up because of dancing or speaking with a girl) is not as rampant. Of course, in Yokohama, Osaka, Nagoya, Kobe, or even in parts of Kyoto there are the nightlife and clubs of Tokyo, but in the smaller cities such as Nagasaki or even Nara wouldn't have it. Then again, I do want to live in Tokyo. its a hard decision.,

The whole thing with the behavior of kids has undergone a most remarkable change in the last few years. It used to be a commonplace aggravation, practically an everyday thing. But several years ago, it dropped off to being practically nonexistant, just a bad memory. That might not be true everywhere, but anywhere that I go (which includes both urban and rural areas) it is now so uncommon that when it does happen it brings up feelings of nostalgia rather than irritation and frustration.

Just because hanging out in dives is a popular pastime among so many folks doesn't mean you would be under any obligation to do so, you know. Not every gaijin spends his evenings in Roppongi.

In Tokyo, gaijins are a dime a dozen and you'd go just as unnoticed as the average Japanese does. You have to really put some effort into it if you want to stand out in Tokyo.

Well, I know that if I go to Japan, I would be more with Japanese (I'm not denoting gaijins here) rather than with my "own kind", so I was wondering if that would influence how I am treated.

Back
Top Bottom