What's new

Radiation Leak

Undrentide the foreign media is just despicable, not that I didn't already know that.
The amount of misinformation going around right now is incredible. Here is another person trying to get some fame off this accident.

[YOUTUBE]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]
Somethin for everyone to read. Not every one is an expert they claim to be.
http://atomicinsights.blogspot.com/2...is-resume.html
This is bullsh/t sensationalism reporting at its best. And the majority of the foreign media can go get "Beep". Just like the Toyota unintended acceleration fiasco , they are working on fear mongering. A little research on Mr. Gundersen and his company Fairwinds Associates consists of Arnie and his wife. He is an antinuclear activist first and foremost.
Peoples lives are at stake and people like this don't help the situation, they just fuel fear and make the situation worse than it actually is. Everyone has already seen the fake fallout maps, so just take a minute to judge for yourself the amount of false information reaching you.

This is sad news indeed. The scale goes from 1 to 7. A level 5 means that it is considered that there is severe damage to a reactors core. By way of comparison, Three Mile Island in the US, which had a partial meltdown, was also classed as level 5. And as for Chernobyl accident in 1986, that was give the highest level, level 7.

But is seems that some foriegn nuclear safety boards are rating Japans incident as higher than level 5. The French are now saying it should be classified as level 6.

Whenever I see tv pictures showing the attempts to make this situation safer, by those in Japan, i think rather than critisize them, let them get on with what they are trying to do. After all this situation could quite easily happen in other country other than Japan.

I read this info on Facebook's Crisis in Japan 2011 community page [ according to reports,the crisis at Fukushima was human error not the tsunami.a worker had been told to refill the diesel generators and this wasn't done leading to power failure and inability to keep the fuel rods cool ].

Whenever I see tv pictures showing the attempts to make this situation safer, by those in Japan, i think rather than critisize them, let them get on with what they are trying to do. After all this situation could quite easily happen in other country other than Japan.
Well you have not been reading what I have been saying then. I am critising the management of reactor and some of the decisions made. A lot of what has happened after the power went down was foreseeable.

My wifes friend is being told he has to go there and help out, so I am all too aware of what risks these people are taking, which is why I can't understand why they If they had of increased the amount of workers at first they could have reduced the amount of radiation that they would have been exposed to. The workers are doing a fantastic job and we owe them a lot. I have donated $1,000 to the Earthquake relief, but I also want to donate to the workers and their families, but it is unlikely that we as general public will be able to.

I read this info on Facebook's Crisis in Japan 2011 community page [ according to reports,the crisis at Fukushima was human error not the tsunami.a worker had been told to refill the diesel generators and this wasn't done leading to power failure and inability to keep the fuel rods cool ].
Yes that also happened, but you can't say this was all human error, the tsunami was an unforeseeable event. But like I have said earlier, they should have been prepared for the fact that anything could happened. Say a plane crashed at the site?

Last edited:
Just found a web page showing the radiation levels in English.

Radiation levels in Tokyo, Japan: Are they safe?
Good night, Posterous

According to the above page, The current levels in Tokyo are lower than the American average. At current levels Tokyo's background radiation is 1753 microsieverts a year. America's average is 3000.

Japanese, Foreign Media Diverge about troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant

"Japan Nuke Disaster PANIC" screamed the headline of the New York Daily News on March 16. On Friday in the U.S., Time Warner Inc.'s CNN was continuing its round-the-clock coverage of Japanese nuclear concerns on "The Situation Room," flashing the line "Shifting Winds, Rising Danger: Risk of Radiation Blowback at Japan Plant." The Sun, a London-based tabloid, titled an article: "Nightmare warning to Brits as Nuke Crisis Continues: Get Out of Tokyo Now". In contrast, the tentative front page of Yomiuri Newspaper'—the largest daily in Japan—on March 16 read: "Damage to reactor number 3's containment vessel?"(The Sun is owned by News Corp., as is The Wall Street Journal.)
Japanese, Foreign Media Diverge

I was always thinking there must be a huge gap between Japanese media and Western media, not only for the troubled nuclear plant, but also other areas.

This is sad news indeed. The scale goes from 1 to 7. A level 5 means that it is considered that there is severe damage to a reactors core. By way of comparison, Three Mile Island in the US, which had a partial meltdown, was also classed as level 5. And as for Chernobyl accident in 1986, that was give the highest level, level 7.
But is seems that some foriegn nuclear safety boards are rating Japans incident as higher than level 5. The French are now saying it should be classified as level 6.

umm last bullsh`t report from like a week ago, said the situation was at a level 6.. so now if it is 5 that means.... wait for it.... the situation is becoming more stabilized, and there is no reason to be freaking out as much..
but wait... that doesn't make us money.. so how can we, despite .. things getting under control.. exploit this a little more to make people fear sh't they don't need to so we can make more money????

What you see are the effects of the death of journalism, and an effort to spit out regurgitated information as quickly as possible. The talking heads on news shows are not journalists who have done any research into the stories that they are reporting on. The truth will come out over time, but much more slowly than the public and the media want. I'm hopeful that they will get things under control at the plant. In the meantime the tsunami has caused much more widespread damage and loss of life. It will take some time before things are turned around, and life can get back to normal.

umm last bullsh`t report from like a week ago, said the situation was at a level 6.. so now if it is 5 that means.... wait for it.... the situation is becoming more stabilized, and there is no reason to be freaking out as much..
but wait... that doesn't make us money.. so how can we, despite .. things getting under control.. exploit this a little more to make people fear sh't they don't need to so we can make more money????

France and Russia are competitors to Japan, in terms of nuclear plant business, while US companies are often partners with Toshiba and Hitachi.

It' just a small part of a much loner article about the heroic Fukushima '50' but I think it says a lot:

'The employee, who had been at the facility since March 11, said TEPCO staff had scrambled to get power from car batteries and small diesel generators in the hope of jump-starting the emergency core cooling system (ECCS) after the earthquake and tsunami crippled vital equipment and power supplies. The efforts failed.'

The Asahi Shimbun | Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

It' just a small part of a much loner article about the heroic Fukushima '50' but I think it says a lot:

'The employee, who had been at the facility since March 11, said TEPCO staff had scrambled to get power from car batteries and small diesel generators in the hope of jump-starting the emergency core cooling system (ECCS) after the earthquake and tsunami crippled vital equipment and power supplies. The efforts failed.'

The Asahi Shimbun | Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

That article sums up a lot of my feelings towards the situation.

This quote in particular strikes a cord with me.

A relative of another TEPCO employee asked: "Was there no way that the government and whole nation could have done something earlier?"

The situation was not handled well at all by TEPCO or the government.

Tokyo water supply

The authorities found slightly elevated levels of radiation in Tokyo's water supply. I was wondering how the radiation from Sendai reached Tokyo's water supply. Through the air?

But it's just a slight amount, won't affect you unless you are an infant and drink tons of it. Don't buy bottled water unless you Really need it. The people in Sendai need bottled water more than those of us in Tokyo.

The authorities found slightly elevated levels of radiation in Tokyo's water supply. I was wondering how the radiation from Sendai reached Tokyo's water supply. Through the air?
But it's just a slight amount, won't affect you unless you are an infant and drink tons of it. Don't buy bottled water unless you Really need it. The people in Sendai need bottled water more than those of us in Tokyo.

I believe it is from precipitation.

It could be ground water contamination. If water from one of the reactors leaked into an underground river/water table it could have easily traveled to the Tokyo area if it shares that same underground river/water table.

Right now my wife is pretty freaked out by the radiation and wants to delay our trip back to Japan as we were heading to Nara on April 7th. From everything I have seen I still think its ok to go. We would only be in Narita for a couple of hours and then on our way to Kansai International.

Personally, I think safety measures were put in place, but not enough given the possibilities in a lot of places in Japan, Second, Chernobyl didn't occur due to any natural catastrophe, and that's all due to human error. All humans err, some more than others, but in the end, they did what they thought was best. Are we to go through more nuclear catastrophes just to feed the need for power, I mean would any of us put ourselves through what some Chernobyl victims have gone through 'for the sake of progression?'. Not I, and therefore I hope Fukushima is minimized as best as possible, and that rather than simply building more nuclear reactors to fill our desire for more power, we invest in more energy efficient technologies.

I agree, energy efficiency is a requirement for progress. Not just with electricity but also with anything that uses fossil fuels.

Radioactive iodine is detected in tap water in Chiba,a prefecture in the Greater Tokyo Area.

千葉県水道局柏井浄水場の水道水に乳児の摂取を控える指標を超える放射性ヨウ素が検出されました(3月27日12時30分更新)

最終更新日:2011年3月27日(日)ページID:013624印刷

千葉県水道局から水道水の放射線量測定結果について下記のとおり発表がありました。

船橋市域の一部に水道水を供給する柏井浄水場(東側施設)において、放射性ヨウ素が厚生労働省が示した乳児による水道水の摂取を控える指標100ベクレル/kgを超える、130ベクレル/kgが検出されました。このため乳児の飲用は控えてくださるようお願いします。

柏井浄水場(東側施設)は、当面、送配水を停止いたします(他の浄水場で代替するため断水等の心配はありません)。

なお、国が定めた指標は、長期にわたり摂取した場合の健康影響を考慮して設定したものであり、代替となる飲用水が確保できない場合には、摂取しても差し支えない、とされています。

http://www.city.funabashi.chiba.jp/topema/p013624.html

Undrentide,

Thanks for posting that information about the water radiation levels by prefecture. EXTREMELY useful stuff. With all that's happening lately, it's hard to get decent, objective information.

I appreciate the 👍

Dr. Michio Kaku on March 26, 2011, 11:29 PM

The three most feared words in the lexicon of a nuclear scientist is "breach of containment," i.e. an uncontrolled release of radiation into the environment. It appears that we may be seeing this dreaded event unfolding in Japan.

In the meantime, I have suggested on TV that the leadership of the crisis management be replaced. The utility should be kept on as a consultant, but a top flight international team of nuclear scientists and engineers should take over, aided by access to the Japanese military. The utility is simply overwhelmed by the crisis. Only the mililtary, guided by an international team of top scientists and engineers, can tame this monster.

Ideas Are Immortal

Dr. Michio Kaku on March 27, 2011, 3:14 PM

Another Setback at Reactor Creates Race Against Time

The reactor situation in Japan suffered yet another setback today, with water levels in Unit 2 registering 10 million times normal levels. The radiation was so high that workers fled the reactor rather than take a second reading. Radiation levels were an astonishing 1,000 msv/hour (which will cause radiation sickness within an hour and even deaths starting at 6 hours). Given this near-lethal radiation field, workers evacuated Unit 2.

If I had the ear of the Prime Minister, I would recommend the "Chernobyl Option."

•Put the Japanese Air Force on alert
•Assemble a huge fleet of helicopters. Put shielding underneath them.
•Accumulate enough sand, boric acid, and concrete to smother these reactors, to entomb them forever.

Ideas Are Immortal

I would respectfully disagree with Dr. Michio Kaku. Replacing those in charge at this time would do more harm than good. I am sure that the folks in charge are in touch with the best and the brightest nuclear physicists, and are following the best known course of action at this point. Is the public being informed of everything? Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom