What's new

Radiation Leak

Don't know who or what source is reliable :cautious::unsure:

I am a member of an astronomy forum. We have a separate area similar to the "chit chat" area here, and there is a thread discussing the disaster. Fortunately one of the members works at a nuclear power plant and has been helpful at giving accurate information as to the workings of the plant in question as well as the possible problems. None of it is black and white or without some conjecture, but I trust the individual.

Fukushima Nuclear Accident Update Log
Updates of 1 April 2011
Staff Report

IAEA Briefing on Fukushima Accident (1 April 2011, 14.30 UTC)
Presentations:
→ Fukushima - Background Information on Operational Intervention Levels, 1 April 2011
→ Fukushima Marine Environment Monitoring , 1 April 2011
→ Radiological Monitoring and Consequences of the Fukushima Nuclear Accident , 1 April 2011
→ Summary of Reactor Status , 1 April 2011

On Friday, 1 April 2011, the IAEA provided the following information on the current status of nuclear safety in Japan.

1.Current Situation ~ Overall at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, the situation remains very serious.

** Read full online report here Fukushima Nuclear Accident Update Log

I read that the workers at the plant have resigned themselves to die to save the nation. It's not a good situation at all, but the media is trying to capitalize on the hype. I hope that the folks in the plant will be OK and this story is just media hype.

I fully agree with mmickels.
Who can risk their own health/life for some money?
They have families, they are afraid of the radiation, but their sense of responsibility and duty is very strong. They're working not for money, but for all the fellow Japanese people.
Believing such a statement by the radio (or whoever made it) is a big insult to them.

Stupid news , angers me.

They make a big deal on our local Maine news about Japanese radiation was found in cows milk here (which scares a lot of people). Then they go on to say that a banana has more natural radiation in it normally then the ammount found in the milk here. Why even bring it up , it is so small ammount , UGH! Anything just to make a news story.

Uncle Frank

:( 😲

They make a big deal on our local Maine news about Japanese radiation was found in cows milk here (which scares a lot of people). Then they go on to say that a banana has more natural radiation in it normally then the ammount found in the milk here. Why even bring it up , it is so small ammount , UGH! Anything just to make a news story.
Uncle Frank

What shocks me most out of this whole incident is that the number of totally F-ing retarded people on this planet is way above my previous estimates.

Uncle Frank

It is amazing that the radiation can be detected at such low levels. The media is feeding the fear of the unknown for its own benefit. I haven't seen much else on the news about the disaster other than the problems with the power plant. The American Red Cross is going to turn over some $50m to the Japanese Red Cross for the disaster victims. I'd like to find out how those funds are helping, and what else may be needed.

It is amazing that the radiation can be detected at such low levels. The media is feeding the fear of the unknown for its own benefit. I haven't seen much else on the news about the disaster other than the problems with the power plant. The American Red Cross is going to turn over some $50m to the Japanese Red Cross for the disaster victims. I'd like to find out how those funds are helping, and what else may be needed.
The Red Cross has helped many people, even most Jewish Holocaust victims, I'm sure whatever they're doing will lead to benefit the Japanese. :)

Contractors in Japan offered $5,000 for hour's work in radiation-filled reactor.

U.S. sends nuclear experts to Japan in fight to save crippled Fukushima from meltdown.The first team,of no more than ten,is due to fly out to Tokyo on Sunday after a Massachusetts recruitment firm responded to a desperate plea for help from the plant's owners.

But the monetary rewards are huge. Joe Melanson, a recruiter for Bartlett Nuclear in charge of selecting the team, refused to be drawn on their precise salary, but the pay 'will definitely be better than the average.'That's something of an understatement. In Japan, there are reports of men being offered hazard pay of up to $5,000 a day to act as 'jumpers', so-called because they 'jump' into highly radioactive areas to perform specific tasks - then race out as quickly as possible.

Is this the most dangerous job in the world? U.S. sends nuclear experts to Japan in fight to save crippled Fukushima from meltdown

simpsonsradioactiveman-1.jpg

The Underbelly of Japan's Nuclear Plants

Someone must clean these reactors and their filtration systems and those that do are exposed to high levels of radiation. Who are these people? This expose, titled "Nuclear Ginza" done in 1995 and shown in England, shows the ugly underbelly of TEPCO and those that they hire to clean these reactors. A very sad and deplorable situation and TEPCO should be prosecuted for this if it is true! These videos will shock you as much as they did me.

The people trying to contain this radiation leak today have all but sacrificed themselves for the good of their country.

Whether this is anti-nuclear propaganda or not I cannot say, but it does make one take note on a side of nuclear reactor maintenance that one may have never considered before. I'm interested in hearing opinions on this.

Part 1:

Part 2:
[youtube]pJeiwVtRaQ8&feature=related[/youtube]

Part 3:
[youtube]mgLUTKxItt4&feature=related[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom