What's new

Question

romaji*
(people spelling it romanji is a pet peeve of mine)

people have a way of recommending wwwjdic in situations like these.. I haven't used it though, so I wouldn't know.

WWWJDIC is good for looking up words, but you need to be able to read hiragana or katakana to really use it. I don't think I've ever seen a romaji writing of any Japanese words on that site.

Not sure of any romaji translation sites at the moment.

Stutz said:
WWWJDIC is good for looking up words, but you need to be able to read hiragana or katakana to really use it. I don't think I've ever seen a romaji writing of any Japanese words on that site.
Romaji input is accepted, but nothing beyond that I know of in the current version. A romaji translation site would be incredibly labor intensive for a very limited market, so yeah I've never heard such a thing either. :).

A small request we can handle here or at other free forums -- otherwise please take ten minutes a day for a month to learn hiragana and katakana yourself.

Elizabeth said:
Romaji input is accepted, but nothing beyond that I know of in the current version.
There _is_ a English -> Japanese romaji dictionary which uses the WWWJDIC data ... somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in this forum at one time.

Don't remember anything else though.

PaulTB said:
There _is_ a English -> Japanese romaji dictionary which uses the WWWJDIC data ... somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in this forum at one time.

Don't remember anything else though.

It isn't terribly useful if you're looking for a text translator, but anyway this may have been the one.

solon.org/cgi-bin/j-e/tty/dict

I personally use poets.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin/jedi-inon when WWWJDIC has a whole bunch of useless words when I'm searching for a way to say 'to have' and it's 4 pages down in the edict. the JEDI interface uses an OLD copy of the EDICT, but it serves its purpose as it shows ALL entries with whatever it is you type, AND it has both romaji and kana inputs AND outputs.

Once I find the word I'm looking for on the JEDI website, I put it into WWWJDIC and see what it turns up

Hope that helps
Arden

Back
Top Bottom