What's new

Question about one sentence

82riceballs

後輩
10 May 2007
hi there! could you please help me with this sentence?

医者さんに結果を聞いていただいてから、いそいそと走 って帰った。

i found this sentence on another forum. (japanforum to be exact)
are there any mistakes?

thanks in advance!

I would think it should be 聞かせていただいて. The way it's written, it looks like the doctor asked 〇 for the results, or 〇 related some results to the doctor.

I would think it should be 聞かせていただいて. The way it's written, it looks like the doctor asked 〇 for the results, or 〇 related some results to the doctor.

Are you sure? If it's meant to say something like "Once I heard the results from the doctor I excitedly ran home" then it makes sense.

Jimmy is right.
聞いていただく=聞いてもらう
So the OP's sentence means the speaker have the result heard by the doctor (literal translation) i.e. the speaker told the result to the doctor, not the other way round.
聞かせていただく=聞かせてもらう(教えてもらう)
Then the speaker heard the result from the doctor.

Maybe 聞く and 聞かせる are rather confusing here...
聞いてください = please listen to me
聞かせてください = please let me hear

You can't simply attach いただく to a verb to make it more polite. For that purpose one could either say:
結果をお聞きしてから、
or somewhat better
結果を伺ってから、

You can't simply attach いただく to a verb to make it more polite.

I know that, but when there's some sort of favour involved in the giving/receiving of an action then you use いただく, right? And you receive the favour of hearing the result from the doctor. Ahh...I see, you can't exactly "receive the favour of hearing", can you. I have to be allowed to hear, and that's where 聞かせていただく comes in. Is that right?

So 医者さんに結果を聞いていただく is like receiving the favour or the honour of the doctor asking me about the results.

Man this stuff can be confusing.

I know that, but when there's some sort of favour involved in the giving/receiving of an action then you use いただく, right? And you receive the favour of hearing the result from the doctor. Ahh...I see, you can't exactly "receive the favour of hearing", can you. I have to be allowed to hear, and that's where 聞かせていただく comes in. Is that right?
So 医者さんに結果を聞いていただく is like receiving the favour or the honour of the doctor asking me about the results.
Man this stuff can be confusing.
The doctor isn't asking about anything. It's more like "receive the favor" of being allowed to hear the results if you want to think of it that way. "Please ask" is 聞いてください。

So basically it's a lot less complicated if you only use いただいてから without a main verb if you are wondering either way.

「お医者さんに結果をいただいてから、いそいそと走って帰っ た。

hi there! could you please help me with this sentence?

医者さんに結果を聞いていただいてから、いそいそと走 って帰った。

i found this sentence on another forum. (japanforum to be exact)
are there any mistakes?

thanks in advance!

いただく , which is a polite form for もらう, alone means like this:
I am given something by someone.

And another verb (the ending changed)+いただくmeans like this:
I am given by somebody the honor of doing something.

So 医者さんに結果を聞いていただいて means:
I was given by the doctor the honor of hearing the result. In this case, the doctor heard. Normally, doctors should tell the results, so that Japanese sounds strange. However, when you do want to say the doctor heard, that might be acceptable at least if you should put お before 医者さん.

Or if you want to say you heard the result, it should be お医者さんに結果を聞いて. No polite form for the verb is required. You don't have to give respect to the subject 'you.' But to the listening partner, to sound more friendly or feminine, お医者さん would be better. Otherwise, 医者 is good.

Another point, for no clear reason, いそいそと doesn't go well with 走る. Some Japanese may say OK, but いそいそと(cheerfully) goes with less active verbs.

Another point, for no clear reason, いそいそと doesn't go well with 走る. Some Japanese may say OK, but いそいそと(cheerfully) goes with less active verbs.

I do agree.
Maybe it meant to be いそいで (in a hurry)?

Back
Top Bottom