What's new

Problem in onsen

Thanks Eisuke. I did a tiny bit of research on my own before actually going there last but only managed to talk about it with a couple of people. It's just too hard to get a handle on how open the Japanese will be about sexual matters.....on the other hand, do you ever feel the same frustration with Americans? ;)

I have a feeling things have changed since my husband has been in the U.S. About 7 or 8 years ago, I really don't think it was a routine procedure for newborns unless there was some kind of medical emergency. However, he did tell me of adults having it done for whatever reason, whether it be for a medical reason or purely cosmetic. I did a Google search, and it sounds like it's becoming more common for newborns. I'm thinking some Western/American influence? I think non-religious circumcision is performed more routinely in the U.S. than any other country.

Cleanliness is next to......

or under the foreskin!! As a nurse's aid I have given a lot of bathes to men who can't bath themselves. Seems like no one ever wants to unwrap that special member ! You don't even want to know what you find under there! I run into situations where wives, mothers, and other caregivers would never think of cleaning under there and it causes a problem if you don't.
I vote for men getting the ultimate cut !

Frank

🙂

I would think there would have to be some loss in sensitivity to cutting all those nerve endings....plus it's easier on women if there's a problem that way....but maybe hygiene does need to trump all at least for some people as you say Frank !

"This just happens to be one of my minor irritatants, but "irregardless" (a double negative) isn't standard English according to any of my dictionaries. It is simply "regardless" and if you think about it there really isn't any kind of distinction that can be made between them."

I'm really glad you took it upon yourself to point that out several days after the fact. If you're so bored that you need to selectively nitpick another person's reply (off-topic no less) then you have way too much free time on your hands. I'm sure it was just eating you up inside... And for the record, "irregardless" does indeed happen to be listed in my latest copy of the American Heritage Dictionary (whether you use it or not), but whatever. I guess all those times I let your grammar slide I should have been more forthcoming like when you spell irritant as "irritatant."
:)

Originally posted by Iron Chef
I'm really glad you took it upon yourself to point that out several days after the fact. I'm sure it was just eating you up inside... And for the record, "irregardless" does indeed happen to be listed in my latest copy of the American Heritage Dictionary (whether you use it or not), but whatever. I guess all those times I let your grammar slide I should have been more forthcoming like when you spell irritant as "irritatant."
:)
No, I just saw it this morning as a matter of fact. I've had some far, far more crucial matters to deal with in the last few days believe me. And yes that was a misspelling on my part. What's so painful in admitting to these awful deeds up front, accepting your punishment and simply getting it over with? :D

Originally posted by Zentai
I dunno much about circumsicion, but I do know all my japanese relatives were circumsised. Atleast the more recent ones. Ive never
heard of japanese not being circumsised. That was probably a longer
time ago than now. \/ \/ \/

Are your relatives Japanese-Americans? If so, then I'd believe that they might be circumcised, but it's not a common custom in Japan.

The practice of circumcision has more of a cultural/religious meaning than anything else today. 4,000 or so years ago in the middle east, men might go unwashed for days or weeks in the desert, so eliminating the foreskin would keep the organ cleaner. So it had a hygienic purpose back then, which eventually became a part of the Jewish tradition.

However, today, when people bathe daily or almost daily, leaving the organ uncircumcised does not pose any serious health risks. In fact, men with uncircumcised organs experience greater sexual pleasure from the movement of the foreskin. 👍 👍 👍

It's similar to the practice of not eating any type of shellfish, or taking meat and milk at the same time. Shellfish spoiled very easily in the middle east so they were deemed non-Kosher. Meat requires an acidic environment in the stomach for proper digestion, and milk and dairy products are alkaline so eating them at the same time could cause digestive problems. There was also a religious significance but also was made non-Kosher, and became part of the culture.

Now for some light humor:

Did you hear about the Rabbi who did not charge for performing circumcisions?
But he took tips. :D :D :D :D :D

Last Jewish Samurai
Once upon a time a powerful Emperor of the Rising Sun advertised for a new Chief Samurai. After a year, only three applied for the job: a Japanese, a Chinese and a Jewish samurai. "Demonstrate
your skills!" commanded the Emperor. The Japanese samurai stepped forward, opened a tiny box and released a fly. He drew his katana and swish, the fly fell to the floor, neatly divided in two.
"What a feat!" said the Emperor. "Samurai Number Two, show me what you do." The Chinese samurai bowed, stepped forward and opened a tiny box, releasing a fly. He drew his katana and swish, swish, the fly fell to the floor neatly quartered. "That is skill!" nodded the emperor. "How are you going to top that, Samurai Number Three?" The Jewish samurai stepped forward, opened a tiny box, releasing one fly, drew his katana and swoooooosh, flourished his katana so mightily that a gust of wind blew through the room. But the fly was still buzzing around! In disappointment, the Emperor said, "What kind of skill is that? The fly isn't even dead." "Dead, schmead," replied the Jewish samurai. "Dead is easy. Circumcision . . . that takes skill!"

:D :D :D

What did the director yell out during the filming of a circumcision scene?
"Cut ! ! ! !" :D

To coordinator: it sounds like a really odd experience. I've never experienced anything like this. My advice to you is to stop walking around giving people a clear view. Hold the wash towel modestly in front of you. That has worked for me for many years.

As for circumcision, it's saddening if Japan is getting into this habit. Anybody who thinks female circumcision is a good thing, raise your hand. Nobody? So then why do people advocate mutilating males? It's barbaric. At least don't do it to babies. Let them do it of their own free will when they are adults if they so choose.
Irregardless of what anybody thinks, it looks like "irregardless" is a word after all, though perhaps superfluous. Look it up, there is a good write up there. I have used that word in the past though I stopped using it years ago when I "found out" that it wasn't really a word. Iron Chef and I are from the same state so I guess it's alive and well here in the north-central U.S.

Yes I think mdchachi is right. Also I think it's not a custom in Japan that they do circumcision. Maybe later in their lives if it's really needed. So most Japanese men are not circumsized.

:D

I have to say, the first time I went to Onsen I was a bit apprehensive. However, I was with an australian and a american guy, they had both been before and taught me some of the rules. most of the guys were only really naked in the actual Onsen itself and while washing.

When I went again with some japanese guys, we did have a nob conversation but only briefly. Japanese guys seem to be more relaxed with nakedness with other guys, me being british, had never really seen another guy in the nude!

I think if you already have hangups about looking at other guys willies, then Onsen is either good therapy or torture. As for me I don't really care about all that crap. Everyone has got one, its not exactly a competition, and you can't change what you've got.

On the circumcision issue, I'm not circumsized and I did notice that most willies that looked at me, were.
BTW; has anyone been to a mixed Onsen? I've only ever been to Onsen in the countryside but the first mixed one I went to was in Tokyo! (its a sento) word of advice, don't go with your girlfriend, unless its deserted.

Wasn't I saying it wasn't a custom in Japan all along? At least, not until very recently? I guess no one believed me. *sigh* I guess it takes a guy to come along and say it for it to be recognized... :p

As for circumcision, it's saddening if Japan is getting into this habit. Anybody who thinks female circumcision is a good thing, raise your hand. Nobody? So then why do people advocate mutilating males? It's barbaric. At least don't do it to babies. Let them do it of their own free will when they are adults if they so choose.

Couldn't have said it better myself, mdchachi. I agree completely.

It seems to me, though, simply the fact that any man would choose it, for whatever reason, shows the complete lack of parity between male and female circumcision.

Originally posted by dadako
.......word of advice, don't go with your girlfriend, unless its deserted.

or everybody's VERY open minded in there.

Lacking parity between male and female has not been achieved since we climbed down from the trees Elizibeth, but surely, we are closer now than we where a century ago? So we just take some solace we are moving our societies in the right direction at least, no?

Is what I see

Originally posted by TZed9
or everybody's VERY open minded in there.

Lacking parity between male and female has not been achieved since we climbed down from the trees Elizibeth, but surely, we are closer now than we where a century ago? So we just take some solace we are moving our societies in the right direction at least, no?

Is what I see
Obviously no one, at least here, is agitating for a woman's right to choose cicumcision :p. I had never even considered that it might be an option for men until now.

Originally posted by Elizabeth
Obviously no one, at least here, is agitating for a woman's right to choose cicumcision :p. I had never even considered that it might be an option for men until now.

Agitate.. agitate...

Your body you choose, my body I will choose. This does not change for those of a slightly post-modern attitudue depending on your sex. This is another one of those things that's become customary where the original point for doing it has become negated, but people are too stuck in thier ways to consider thinking for themselves. Fortunately most of my age and younger will decide for themselves, two generations ago society made the decisions for you. Ten generations ago tradition made decisions for you. One hundred generations ago practicaility made the @$ツ」ツ」%$ツ」^%^@@!!!!! decisions for you!!!

You're familer with the nature/nurture argument? But are you familier with the concious mind/animal instinct argument? I talk often about balance, it is important with everything I am a firm believer, and getting the right balance of decisions you have made between the concious entitiy you, and the animal instinct you is not one very often realised.

But I'm working on it...

Originally posted by TZed9
Agitate.. agitate...

Your body you choose, my body I will choose. This does not change for those of a slightly post-modern attitudue depending on your sex.
A simple survey detailing the percentage of adult women who wish they had been circumcised as children is all you'll need to be taken seriously. :D

You mean to say they don't for the most part? I would hope so... but what I hope matters little for the most part too..

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Mmm

Is female circumcision not the complete removal of the clitoris? Whereas the male circumcision is only the removing of foreskin. If so, female circumcision is much more drastic and life effecting than male circumcision, which could be why many women don't choose it.

Back
Top Bottom