What's new

Practice frustrations

Sabrina miew

先輩
9 Jan 2011
Hi um here to start on this. I'm currently trying to learn Japanese. I have found I suck.
Am getting better but still. When I started taking classes I toughed it would be easy but a bit harder then learning English *which was basically watch TV from the time I was 3 or something.
Oke I will admit…that was real stupid of me. Its no like I want to be perfect at it. I just to want to able to make my self understandable and make small talks or something. For starters anyway.

Mean reason so I free to do more if I go to Japan on a holiday and at least can to talk to people on some level.

What I have truly finding frustrating is the lack of ability to practice.
Yes I can read the study book and read stuf out loud. I'll be frank its not working for me.
When ever I go for my 45 min class I freeze when me sensei ask me some things or tells me something. I just go blank. Like haven learnt any thing in the last 10 weeks:(.It would be easier for me at least if could practice the conversation dialogues things in the book with some one. Things just stick better that way
Which is problem sins I don't know anyone and 45 min a week is no going to take me far.

Where I live * mean my house not the country. No one seems interested in it. And they find me stupid for trying. So I can for get to find a club to join to practice.

Are there websites where people like me meet up and practice on skyp or something *I feel stupid asking this. Because it seems like such a crazy thing to ask. * but then with internet now a days. :p*hopefull

Or there other people who are find things like this frustrating?
I really happy to at least have teacher for 45 min week. I find studding alone to be very hard and I feel like still on lesson number one. So ever Friday for 45 min even if have the feeling I suck at it while I'm happy with my class and a really nice teacher who try to teach me as much as my brain will let in. * even I want to cram so muche more in it faster than It can handel it.

Many many people share the same frustrations as you do. When I first entered my Japanese school I was totally clueless as to what was being said to me (they teach only in Japanese) and felt really embarrassed. Even when I did know what they were saying I was too shy to reply back, or I would give an incorrect response which I would later beat myself up over.

I get 2 classes a week each for an hour and a half, that is not enough, especially as I'm not in Japan, so I can understand how a 45 min class once a week would make you feel like your not progressing much, but this basically comes down to you. I never let those classes be my sole means of learning, I bought many books on Japanese and read them while I'm on the train or if I'm waiting for something or someone and I also went to those clubs, had language partners etc.

It needs to be regular, everyday in some form or another, if you want to learn Japanese you need to be dedicated, it doesn't come over night, your brain needs repetition both in terms of studying and usage. This is of course all my own opinion.

However there are always going to be times of frustration, where you feel your not getting anywhere, I reckon that happens at any level.

I read your blog and I do agree.

I was think about stuff I could try to do something about it myself.
There is a new girl in my japans class. I seen here around school. I'm also the one who told her about the classes in the firs place.
I explained my problem to her and she seem interested in the study partner idea. She lives close so that helps to. 😌

Its not exactly a club but it's a start. Some times you just need to create what's lacking. Maybe wil find new people along the way. For now its a start :)

even so i would still like to hear other peoples ideas or ways of coping with this.

I can sympathize with you. I feel the same way a lot. I am married to a Japanese woman and she helps me a bit but she soon gets frustrated with my lack of progress. So do I really. It takes a lot of repetition and a dedication to study Japanese, or any foreign language, and one thing that will really help is to have a place to practice and use what you have learned on a daily basis. I have that but its still not easy. I really wish I could just download the language to my brain, vocab, grammar, slang, and history. It would make things so much easier! :p

Your right about the history part in it to.
Because I have no clue on why certain things are (not) said and (not) done in a certain way. *stuff why you never take something out of some one hands but wait for them to git it to you. As when your paying for stuff.
My teacher had her hands full on me to just get me to do things the proper way. The first 3 weeks was nothing more then to how not talk (anime is good in making you talk rude) and unconsciously act rude Not to forget wa and desu in my sentences.
I happy she tries to teach cutler us too. Such as when its is or isn't OKE to talk les formal. Why things are done that way. Why people are used to be approach like this or that.
Apart form just how to speak (semi)proper Japanese is nice to know I as person can at lest act (semi) decent.

Thinking about that… I really did learn quite a lot more then I new when I started.

yes it would be great if we could just download it al.
Would help a lot on World wide note to. At least we could get why other cultures do certain things faster.

But its great reward if you can work for your own things *I think it includes knowledge to

. I really wish I could just download the language to my brain, vocab, grammar, slang, and history. It would make things so much easier! :p

This would be the best thing ever Petaris! I would literally pay thousands just to instantly be able to understand (and speak, read and write too of course) a different language. I tried learning Japanese and was just soooo difficult for me :(

Back
Top Bottom