What's new

Popular Japanese songs

bgarde

後輩
15 Mar 2002
:) Hello
I m a French musician and I m really interested in Japanese culture.

I try to find references to songs really famous in Japan by young and old people. (old and modern style)
thanks!!

Salut and welcome! :)

I recommend you to visit Mike Cash's oldies site:
Japanese Oldies: Enka and Pops

oldies.gif

You know, France actually has its own JPop Magazine called Stardust. Check their website here:

http://stardust.jpopfrance.com

In the righthand top corner, there's a link to a page about Jpop in the '70s.

Radio France Internationale once released a cd with popular Japanese music from the '60s and '70s. It should probably still be available at any good cd-shop. It is called "Chanson Japonaise". I'm not entirely sure if RFI released it themselves, but their logo was on the front.

Good luck,

Peter

Peter, did you manage to find that CD? Just browse a few French online stores, to no avail. Obviously Radio France Internationale does not even advertise their own products. ;)

Btw, Thomas and I tried to find Japanese oldies from the 50s and 60s in Japan, that was a difficult task. In the end, we registered hours of music from Usen.

Hi Nahoko,

I have been searching the web as well, but i couldn't find any evidence of it's existence either.
I pulled this album out of a binaries newsgroup a few months ago... :rolleyes:

However, it also included a jpeg of the inlay, which doesn't contain much information, aside from the title "Chanson Japonaises - les annテゥes 60 et 70", the tracklisting, the RFI logo, an All Nippon Airways logo and the following text:

"Une production de Reiko Kidachi - Tテゥl.: (33) 01 44 30 83 29 - Fax (33) 01 44 30 83 43"

Try phoning Reiko Kidachi and ask for any distribution points.

If that doesn't result into anything let me know. I'd be happy to provide you with a copy (which would in fact be illegal, but then again... good music should be spread :D ).

Good luck,

Peter

Thanks for your assistance, Peter. I'll try my luck again, if it's still in vain, I might get back to your offer.

But OF COURSE the Japan Reference page does not endorse illegal activities......!! :D

But OF COURSE the Japan Reference page does not endorse illegal activities......!!

Indeed, Piracy is bad!! 👍

On the topic of Japanese music from the '60s:
Stop by Ace Records
They have released a trilogy of CDs with Japanese Garage Sounds.

GS I Love You: Japanese Garage Bands (CDWIKD 159)
GS I Love You Too (CDWIKD 196)
Let's Go Spiders: GS I Love You 3 (CDWIKD 202)

These contain bands like The Youngers, The Tempters, The Carnabeats, The OutCast, The Cougars, The Spiders and lots more...
The third release is completely dedicated to The Spiders.

This music is really fun to listen to and the sound quality of the recordings is great. Check it out.

Peter

I remember quite a few of these songs, as my mother used to play them often. Yes, she was among the screaming crowds when the Beatles visited Japan! ;)

I believed that many of the Japanese 60s's songs were genuinely Japanese until I found out that they were just local versions of American or British hits.

Btw, many of the bands you mentioned, Peter, are still active or in music management.

I believed that many of the Japanese 60s's songs were genuinely Japanese until I found out that they were just local versions of American or British hits.

Yeah, some songs on these cd's are indeed covers. But at least they are done very well.

Btw, many of the bands you mentioned, Peter, are still active or in music management. [/B]

Really? That's interesting. I wonder how their sound has changed. And who they are managing.

I do have the names of all the bandmembers but i don't recognize any of them from bands of today, either as musicians or producers.

Hi Peter,

I have found some interesting threads on 2channel ( ■5ch BBS .., which is the most famous Japanese discussion forum), dealing with some of the groups you have mentioned. I hope I find those messages again. :)

As far as I know (and I can remember) some of these groups still tour through Japan (like many other non-Japanese groups from the 60s who still have a lot of Japanese fans, e.g. The Ventures, and just last week, Chuck Berry).

I'll post more if I find the info.

While we're in the 80s, a few days ago someone added the following page to our directory:

All About Akina Nakamori

=> http://www.japanreference.com/cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID=4496

And another update on Mike Cash's Oldies.jp: Mike offers all his songs as downloads as well as streaming audio files. His archive can now be browsed chronologically or by singer. Please register if you would like to have access to the archive (free!).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom