What's new

Question Please read scroll title Guo Ziyi

Ger

Sempai
17 Jan 2018
Please read the text found on this scroll while it's rolled up.
It shows Guo Ziyi.
I suppose with his grand children.

Attachments

• Guo Ziyi +title.jpg
    Guo Ziyi +title.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 78
家族?集合之画
I can't identify the third kanji.

Is there any reason why you think it shows Guo Ziyi?

家族?集合之画
I can't identify the third kanji.

Is there any reason why you think it shows Guo Ziyi?
My try had been 宇族[妹妓?]集[令合?] but I could not make sense out of it,
If it reads 家族妹集合之画 it looks like a description of the scene (family....gathering) or is it the name of the painter?

I know a strikingly similar painting, signed and sealed and described as showing 郭子儀 Guo Ziyi (Japanese: Kakushigi)
He is shown probably with his many ((grand)grand)children.

If the line is the title, and it is him, it is strange it does not mention 郭子儀.
But the text has been added later on.

By the way, at the bottom it is marked with two characters (?月) as attached.
What would it mean?
(the thumbnails do not show the full image, rather confusing, so please click them to see it)

Attachments

• SAM_7014h.jpg
    SAM_7014h.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I don't think the third character is 妹 (or 妓, either).

Is it possible to show us the strikingly similar painting of Guo Ziyi you mentioned?

The two kanji is 正月, i.e., "new year". It would mean that the scroll is appropriate to hang up in tokonoma(alcove) on new year's.

I don't think the third character is 妹 (or 妓, either).

Is it possible to show us the strikingly similar painting of Guo Ziyi you mentioned?

The two kanji is 正月, i.e., "new year". It would mean that the scroll is appropriate to hang up in tokonoma(alcove) on new year's.
Sure...

Attachments

• guo ziyi x2.jpg
    guo ziyi x2.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 67
  • guo ziji x2h.jpg
    guo ziji x2h.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 77
Another thing, the painting is not signed while I think it certainly has qualitiy. Since almost all kakejiku I encounter are sigend and/or sealed I wonder - is there a special reason?
E.g. one of a set of paintings, or clipped, or a preliminary sketch, or unfinished design, or shunga,... but this one does not look like that.

Both paintings having Guo Ziyi seated in a chair, the right one judging by his arms and legs.

Well, it's just "similar", and it seems to me that your scroll has nothing to do with Guo Ziyic...

Here are some more examples showing Guo Ziyi seated in a chair, with a pointed white beard and surrounded by his (legendary) large family.

Vase with Birthday Reception for General Guo Ziyi
The identity of Guo Ziyi, who achieved the rank of prince of Fenyang after suppressing the An Lushan rebellion, is confirmed by the inscription "Fenyang Manor" (Fenyang fu) above the entrance to the residence.
---

Folding screen with birthday celebration for General Guo Ziyi
DP211786.jpg
---

Guo Ziyi (the elder sitting in the picture) held a banquet at home, and the children and grandchildren gathered together.
---

---

---

---

Yes, Guo Ziyi is popular as a theme of the one who has many children and grandchildren, so it could be him, but it doesn't always refer to him in all pictures of similar themes, just in my opinion. (I mean, there still is a possibility that the old man is not him.)

Yes, Guo Ziyi is popular as a theme of the one who has many children and grandchildren, so it could be him, but it doesn't always refer to him in all pictures of similar themes, just in my opinion. (I mean, there still is a possibility that the old man is not him.)
Guo Ziyi stands for happiness, wealth, longevity,... which would explain why, quote, "It would mean that the scroll is appropriate to hang up in tokonoma(alcove) on new year's."

Back
Top Bottom