What's new

Please check and correct.

LewiiG

先輩
27 Dec 2012
So I am just going to write a few sentences in Japanese. I would like them to be checked and corrected where necessary so I can actually confirm my understanding. Including small "unatural" things if possible.

1. 自分の人生でお金が一番大切なものだと彼が思うけど、私はそんなに大切だと思わない
(Somewhat concerned about がs and はs)

2.日本語を勉強する英人として、難しさのレベルで、この曲は最後のテストみたい
2b.日本語を勉強する英人として、この曲はテストであれば、 難しさのレベルで、 最後のテストだろう
2c 日本語を勉強する英人として, 分かりやすいのランクで、この曲は一番難しいと思う
(Hopefully with those three you see what I am trying to convey. I don't exactly know how something like this would be said, and this is probably the most un Japanese like sentence I have wrote).

3.このドアを開くには、家から鍵を持ってくることが必要です。けど、そうする前に、あなたは店に行って店主に喋ったほうがいいと思う。何か良いことが起こるかもしれない。
(Random and made up as I went along.)

Just thought to randomly write some Japanese as to check myself.

よろしくお願いします

1)
自分の人生でお金が一番大切なものだと彼が思っても / 彼が思っているとしても / 彼は思うだろうけど、私はそんなに大切だと思わない。

2)
日本語を勉強する英国人/イギリス人からすると、この詞は最難関のレベルのテストだ。
2) b)
日本語を勉強する英国人/イギリス人からすると、もしテストならこの詞は最難関のレベルだ。
2) c)
日本語を勉強する英国人/イギリス人からすると、分かりにくさのランクでこの曲は一番レベルが高いと思う。

Anyway, those sentences are rather stiff. I would just say 日本語を勉強しているイギリス人にとっては、この詞は最高級に/すごく難しい。

3)
I can't think of what kind of situation it is, i.e. why the speaker says 店に行って店主に喋ったほうがいい and/or why he/she thinks 何か良いことが起こる by that.

So for 1 I needed more contrast, that makes sense.

For 2 there are better words/phrases that I can use and some that I was previously unaware of.

Thanks.

I can't think of what kind of situation it is, i.e. why the speaker says 店に行って店主に喋ったほうがいい and/or why he/she thinks 何か良いことが起こる by that.

Let us say that it is a "テレビゲーム" in which the player is some hero and that this shopkeeper has an item which would aid the player greatly. The speaker is giving somewhat indirect, ambiguous advice that the player should go there.

Or something like that anyway. (I should have probably said something extra about what store for added effect. あの店 or あの人の店)

Ah, I see. Yeah, テレビゲーム makes sense.:)

このドアを開けるには、家から鍵を持って来なければな りません/持って来る必要があります。でも、その前に店に行って 店主に話しかけたほうがいいですよ。何かいいことが起 きるかもしれませんから。

If there is only one store in the story so far, or what 店 refers to is obvious from the context(e.g. the shop the addressee works for), just 店 is no problem. (Of course あの店 is also OK.)

このドアを開けるには、家から鍵を持って来なければなりません/持って来る必要があります。でも、その前に店に行って店主に話しかけたほうがいいですよ。何かいいことが起きるかもしれませんから。

Okay thanks. I have a few questions conrerning this one, if I may.

1. Is the change from けど to でも just a more natural thing? Or is there a reason? They are both just a "however" type connective to me right now. I guess it is politer, as I noticed you made everything more formal.

2. How do I know when to use その前に, instead of そうする前に? Right now, the former to me is "before that" and the latter is "before someone does that" Is そうする前に before I do that?

3. Why does 起こる change to 起きる? According to one dictionary, they are both intransitive.

Thanks.

1)
けど is also OK.
I didn't make everything more formal. I just unified the level of politeness (必要です, いいと思う, かもしれない).

2)
そうする前に is also OK here.
そうする前に can be used for the both cases.

3)
起こる and 起きる are interchangeable in this meaning "to happen". 起きる tends to sound more colloquial, imo.

1)
けど is also OK.
I didn't make everything more formal. I just unified the level of politeness (必要です, いいと思う, かもしれない).

2)
そうする前に is also OK here.
そうする前に can be used for the both cases.

3)
起こる and 起きる are interchangeable in this meaning "to happen". 起きる tends to sound more colloquial, imo.

Ah yes, unifying the level of politeness. Thanks, I haven't exactly thought about that before.
Okay, thanks once again Toritoribe. That was extremely helpful :)

Back
Top Bottom