What's new

Osaka or Gunma Maebashi

dhito

Registered
27 Apr 2016
Hello JapanReference, Nice to meet you!
This is my first time posting here. I decided to make an account because I really need a quick opinion about this matter.

I'm going for Japan this October to attend a Language School and I need some opinion about Osaka and Gunma,
What are the pros and cons from Osaka and Gunma? What do you like about Osaka or Gunma?

Any opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Do you want to live in a metropolis, or in a rural province with smaller towns?

I think that's the biggest difference.

The language spoken in Gunma is much closer to the standard Japanese which is taught in textbooks, so you would have much less of a local dialect issue to deal with.

Hello coco and Mike, thank for your post!
@coco
I don't mind to live anywhere to be honest, living in Japan is a great improvement to what current condition is. To be honest I make this thread while being a little bit confuse. I'm afraid to make a mistake in choosing this matter because I only have one chance in this, so it quite silly really.

I'm more into Osaka because I believe city areas has more opportunity for career and stuff.

Both of the Language School offer a Part Time job, I need to save money to pay the school fees and to continue my study in one of Hospitality Senmon Gakkou.

@mike
Language itself isn't a problem for me, I do think leaning from daily conversation is overall a better learning method than the textbooks. I'm more interested in social and cultural aspect where it can greatly improve your chance of survival and getting better to become a part of the Japan community.

One of the main reason I considered Osaka is because some of the students from the agency are becoming quite spoiled living in Osaka, they become kinda lazy to do part time job and stuff. But It of course depend on the person themselves whether they want to survive in there or not.

Last edited:
I do think leaning from daily conversation is overall a better learning method than the textbooks.

I'm afraid I may not have been clear.

The Japanese which we learn from textbooks is based on the Tokyo area (eastern Japan, which includes Gunma) "standard" Japanese. That means the speech you hear from people in daily life around you more closely resembles what you learn in school.

The Japanese spoken in Osaka (western Japan) has numerous differences which can make you wonder if it is even the same language or not sometimes. I've lived in Gunma most of my life and the Japanese spoken in the Kansai area (western Japan) is frequently nearly incomprehensible to my ears.

I'm not suggesting one is preferential to the other. I'm only pointing out the existence of the phenomenon.

Japanese dialects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@mike
That's clear some of my thought, thanks for the explanation.
I know the Kansai dialect and accent is quite from the other part of Japan. But I never known that It so much different and hard to hear.

But since I'm new in Japan, I do think wherever I go I'll start from zero like a baby so It won't be too much of a problem.

But since I'm new in Japan, I do think wherever I go I'll start from zero like a baby so It won't be too much of a problem.

I quite agree.

I would hope that schools in the area offer special lessons to familiarize students with some of the differences.

Back
Top Bottom