What's new

Okinawa / 沖縄

Sukotto, you said it all when you wrote this;

I don't get that one.

Except you should change the one to ALL.

I've come to the conclusion that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Okinawa. I'll bet that you got all your information up to now just from the internet right? How long did you spend googling to come up with the web site about the Uchinanchu?

Iyana waraba!🙂

I should note, just in case it was assumed so, that I never said I thought Okinawans wanted sovereignty from Japan. Since I do not know one way or the other.

But yeah. There is no need for the US to continue with over 700 known/admitted bases in over 120 different countries, including Okinawa.
The cold war has been over for 15 years or so.

Hachiro said:
I don't get that one.

Something happens in the world...
The US is who must and has a 'right' to act.

It is that idea which is baffling.

gs001 said:
where is the cliff that Okinawa people shouted "Banzai emperor"
and jump down while US army occupied that island in 1945?
I believe at that time, after 80 years of Japanese governing,
people in this former dependency of China already regarded themself
as Japanese.
but Taiwanese and Korean seem not quite sure if they were Japanese
at that time.
you believe at that time, after 80 years of Japanese governing,
people in this former dependency of China already regarded themself
as Japanese.?
not yet ~
till now ,there are still some people in Okinawa want independent!
Okinawa is a Independent Country--Ryukyu Kingdom.Japan start use force try to take Okinawa start in 1876.
few Okinawa people want to build a New Free Port Country in West Pacific .But I must say that they are very few!!
They say :
Okinawa people said:
FREE OKINAWA--- FREE RYUKYU--- Okinawa belong Okinawan--- Okinawa was not a county of Japan--- We are running for Okinawa Independent--- Build Republic of OKINAWA--Build Okinawa be a Free Port Country;No more Japan and U.S.Military injure--Please Support Us to creat a West Pacific Sweetsland......

gs001 said:
where is the cliff that Okinawa people shouted "Banzai emperor"

but Taiwanese and Korean seem not quite sure if they were Japanese
at that time.

You're referring to immigrant mainland Japanese jumped off the cliff rather taken alive by US army,Okinawans couldn't wait to free themselves from Japan rule.They have own ethnic identity and culture.

Taiwan's Han Chinese population and Koreans absolutely sure Japanese were once referred as " dwarfs " for many centuries until modern time.The real Taiwanese are the various aborginal tribes through out the island related to Fillipino race in the South Pacific.

Funny,a Japanese nationalist zealot living in mainland China ! :LOL:

Last edited:
You're referring to immigrant mainland Japanese jumped off the cliff rather taken alive by US army,Okinawans couldn't wait to free themselves from Japan rule.They have own ethnic identity and culture.

Actually I wouldn't quite call them immigrants, the people that jumped off the cliffs for the most part were soldiers.

Okinawan's on the other hand were just as afraid of the US military and in some cases even more, they were brainswashed into believing an awful lot of horsemanure about how they would be treated.

Many Japanese soldiers used Okinawan women and children as human shields while they were being rooted out of caves, many in the Japanese military looked down on the Okinawan's because they didn't have the same fealty to die for the Emperor.

While I don't claim to know a real lot about Okinawa, it certainly has some things in its culture that make it unique in its own right.

I know a few Okinawans, and for the most part they have a lot of pride in being Okinawan. At times, you can sense a feeling of having been an "occupied" people and some resentment, if only a little. I always felt really sorry for the Okinawans who were caught in the crossfire on the Battle Of Okinawa. 😭

It would be a shame for Okinawa to lose its roots and native language (Hogen). ☝

Hachiro said:
Actually I wouldn't quite call them immigrants, the people that jumped off the cliffs for the most part were soldiers.

I recall this one WW 2 Battle of Okinawa program aired on History Channel several years ago,with re-enactment of families with women and children jumped off the cliff plus one scene with Japanese-speaking American Nissei translator called out to civilians hiding in a cave to come out as they were promised safety.

Last edited:
ricecake said:
I recall this one WW 2 Battle of Okinawa program aired on History Channel several ago,with re-enactment of families with women and children jumped off the cliff plus scene with Japanese-speaking American Nissei translator called out to civilians hiding in a cave to come out as they were promised safety.

Ok and........I may have missed something could you tell what the point is?:(
I wrote this earlier in the thread.......

Many Japanese military commited suicide rather than face the shame of capture, but here in Okinawa the scale of the civilian suicides was appalling, there are movies that were taken by US Military personnel that showed mothers jumping off the cliffs onto the rocks below carrying babies in their arms.

Uchite said:
I know a few Okinawans,and for the most part they have a lot of pride in being Okinawan.At times, you can sense a feeling of having been an "occupied" people and some resentment, if only a little.

It would be a shame for Okinawa to lose its roots and native
Native Okinawans have own unique ethnic background and indigenous culture not related to Yamato or Ainu.It's some nationalist Japanese painted Okinawans to outside world as if they are of Japanese origin for the island has a percentage population of immigrant Japanese ancestry.

Of-course,non-Japanese origin Okinawans are treated as " second class " Japanese citizens.They have indeed been occupied for nearly 400 years,their subtle resentment is only natural.Also,Okinawans face " discrimination " in Japanese society except a few pop-culture icons like Gackt.

Of-course,non-Japanese origin Okinawans are treated as " second class " Japanese citizens.They have indeed been occupied for nearly 400 years,their subtle resentment is only natural.Also,Okinawans face " discrimination " in Japanese society except a few pop-culture icons like Gackt.

Before I comment more on this quote please tell me what a "non-Japanese origin Okinawan" is? Oh forgot something too, why is it that you use the word "immigrant" Japanese to discuss something in Okinawa?

You need to research a bit more if you use Gackt as an example, there are numerous other "pop-culture" icons that come from Okinawa. I noticed the "few" as well.....

The way I am reading your posts so far here using the terminology that you are using I could say the same things about the "Native-American's" in the USA and call you the immigrant, even if you were 10th generation American. It's like trying to say that Hawaiians are not American's that everyone that lives there are immigrant American's. Do you see my point?

Now Okinawan's are Japanese first Okinawan second. It is that plain and simple.

Hachiro said:
Now Okinawan's are Japanese first Okinawan second. It is that plain and simple.
You simply confimed Okinawans are indeed " second class " citizens of Japanese nationality,for native population is not of Yamato origin.:p

http://machi.mimizun.com:83/log/machi/okinawa/1113357758.html

【援助】沖縄独立運動★琉球王国 2【前提】

【援助】沖縄独立運動★琉球王国 3 【前提】

According to Okinawan ppl forum
it is very funny.

Okinawan is thinking ppl in Japanese mainland were from via Chosun
Okinawan is the descendant of Jomon ppl
they are thinking Yayoi ppl must get out from Japanese mainland....
Okinawan language and Japanese were so close.

there are called Okinawan manyousyu as ancient Okinawan language
1153704660-1.jpg

Hachiro said:
why is it that you use the word "immigrant" Japanese to discuss something in Okinawa?

2004 Japanese TV dorama " Song of a Sugar Cane Field " depicted a mainland Japanese family of Yamato-origin " migrated " to the island of Okinawa in the 1930's with one scene they all dressed in traditional native Ryukyu formal wears.

ricecake said:
2004 Japanese TV dorama " Song of a Sugar Cane Field " depicted a mainland Japanese family of Yamato-origin " migrated " to the island of Okinawa in the 1930's with one scene they all dressed in traditional native Ryukyu formal wears.

First it would be enough to say mainland Japanese family, secondly that was from a time over 70 years ago. Do you say that people from New York immigrated to California? or Texas? or somewhere other than were they were orginally from when in the same country?

There is a difference between migrate and immigrate.

The common assumption/definition of the word immigrate would be from one country, your home country usually, to another country. I would venture to say that the drama was incorrect in it's use of the word.

Akamatsu...oh he was the man
I can not blame Teruya-san

They sacrificed own honour for the Okinawan.

:( :( :(

http://www.iza.ne.jp/news/newsarticle/natnews/topics/16661/

『赤松さんが村を救うため、十字架を背負うと言ってく れた』

赤松隊長の悪口を書かれるたびに、心が張り裂ける思い 、胸に短刀を刺される思いだった。

Except you should change the one to ALL.
I've come to the conclusion that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Okinawa. I'll bet that you got all your information up to now just from the internet right? How long did you spend googling to come up with the web site about the Uchinanchu?
Iyana waraba!🙂

I try to go to more than one source.
Not relying on only government, be it US (Washington), Japan (Tokyo),
the pentagon, or any one corporation and whatever media outlets they might own.

back to the question.

Okinawans should not have the self-determination right. Because there are not big industres on their islands.

they are just part of the Japanese culture,
This is also difficult to any japanese. To me, they have different cultures.

and are not a Nation?
No, it isnt. However, japanese government has worried about this. Several years ago, a new designed 2000 yen bill was published. A 'gate' which was build in okinawan style was printed on it.

And some party said several months ago, that let's make okinawa become an independent nation in their manifest. It sounds too jumping to me.

Back
Top Bottom