What's new

Not so much 🇯🇵 #shorts

Is ぜんぜんいい used with young people as slang ? Does it also mean " like I'm happy to hear or see that " ?

Last edited:
Is ぜぜいい used with young people as slang ? Does it also mean " like I'm happy to hear or see that " ?
I wrote ぜんぜんいい(not ぜぜいい). My understanding is that it's not grammatically correct because ぜんぜん should be followed by a negative. It's not slang, just colloquial language that everybody knows to mean "totally good." Actually I was expecting Lily先生 to scold me for using incorrect Japanese.

Similarly you can say ぜんぜんだめ to mean "totally bad." I think these two phrases are commonly used. But if you tried to say something like "ぜんぜんあつい" to mean "extremely hot" probably people will think you don't know Japanese because as she says in the video, it should be attached to a negative. To say extremely hot, you should say something like すごくあつい or とてもあつい.

I wrote ぜんぜんいい(not ぜぜいい). My understanding is that it's not grammatically correct because ぜんぜん should be followed by a negative. It's not slang, just colloquial language that everybody knows to mean "totally good." Actually I was expecting Lily先生 to scold me for using incorrect Japanese.

Similarly you can say ぜんぜんだめ to mean "totally bad." I think these two phrases are commonly used. But if you tried to say something like "ぜんぜんあつい" to mean "extremely hot" probably people will think you don't know Japanese because as she says in the video, it should be attached to a negative. To say extremely hot, you should say something like すごくあつい or とてもあつい.
Thanks . I corrected my mistake. The wife says that it is mostly used these days as slang with the younger generation.

Thanks . I corrected my mistake. The wife says that it is mostly used these days as slang with the younger generation.
It's about as much slang as "cool" is. Like, my 90-year-old mom doesn't say "cool" to refer to something that's nice, interesting or intriguing. But us "younger" people do. :D

ぜんぜん should be followed by a negative
Well, actually, that's widely-believed "superstition/myth". 全然 is(or at least "was") commonly used with affirmative expressions.

一般に「全然は本来否定を伴うべき副詞である」という言語規範意識がありますが、研究者の間ではこれが国語史上の"迷信"であることは広く知られている事実です。

Here's more detailed explanations.

全然 originally means "thoroughly/totally" with affirmative expressions, but it's not used as "very", so, for example, 全然おいしい is a slangy expression.

Well, actually, that's widely-believed "superstition/myth". 全然 is(or at least "was") commonly used with affirmative expressions.

一般に「全然は本来否定を伴うべき副詞である」という言語規範意識がありますが、研究者の間ではこれが国語史上の"迷信"であることは広く知られている事実です。

Here's more detailed explanations.

全然 originally means "thoroughly/totally" with affirmative expressions, but it's not used as "very", so, for example, 全然おいしい is a slangy expression.
こんなに詳しく説明してくださってどうもありがとうございます。

I learned that you can use amari where isually you could say takusan, to accentuate it in a negative way.. Like for example I talk too much or ate like a pig ^^

I learned that you can use amari where isually you could say takusan, to accentuate it in a negative way.. Like for example I talk too much or ate like a pig ^^
You are right 👍 In your examples, I talk a lotたくさん話します。I don´t talk so muchあまり話しません。I talk too much話し過ぎます。 I ate a lotたくさん食べました。I didn´t eat so muchあまり食べませんでした。I ate too much食べ過ぎました

Back
Top Bottom