What's new

Travel News No more graffiti on Tottori sand dunes

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
The curse of mass tourism, or rather, Instagram: Tottori Prefecture started to enforce a prefectural ordinance banning graffiti on the famous sand dunes just outside Tottori City after a recent spike in graffiti incidents. Since 2009, over 3,300 incidents of "sand graffiti" have been recorded.

tottori-sand-graffiti.jpg

This graffiti from January 2019 measured 25 by 5 metres and had to be cleaned up by a foreign couple. Natalie must have been delighted.

Trivial compared with the state-sanctioned mass vandalism of Japan's coastline by concreting over most of it. This morning's 7am news on a wide show devoted over 15 minutes to an ex-pop star being busted for smoking dope, and yesterday Taro Kono was urging the world's media to refer to him as Kono Taro. Do the Japanese ever get worked up about anything that matters? Rant over and back to work!

Thanks to jetlag I woke up way too early this morning and caught the tail end of that Kat-Tun story. At first I thought "oh damn a celebrity got caught being naughty! I wonder what he did" and then they were like "he had several grams AND a grinder!! oooooh" They even interviewed a neighbor that was like "they seemed like such a nice young couple"... little did they know that they were such heavy drug users!

Then they repeated the story on multiple channels for the rest of the morning, at least 5 or 6 times before I got fed up. I guess it's a good thing that something like this counts as major news, but even though they knowingly broke the law I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy for getting eviscerated on repeat the whole morning.

Thanks to jetlag I woke up way too early this morning and caught the tail end of that Kat-Tun story. At first I thought "oh damn a celebrity got caught being naughty! I wonder what he did" and then they were like "he had several grams AND a grinder!! oooooh" They even interviewed a neighbor that was like "they seemed like such a nice young couple"... little did they know that they were such heavy drug users!

Then they repeated the story on multiple channels for the rest of the morning, at least 5 or 6 times before I got fed up. I guess it's a good thing that something like this counts as major news, but even though they knowingly broke the law I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy for getting eviscerated on repeat the whole morning.

Did you enjoy the 'experts' wheeled out to solemnly announce what a dangerous drug cannabis is? As for the guy getting eviscerated: no need to worry, the media will soon get distracted by a new popcorn store opening in Harajuku or something equally weighty, so it won't be for long. It's a good example of ostracism in Japanese society at work though, all that name calling, with a 容疑者 roughly once every 15 seconds!

Back
Top Bottom