What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

New Web Site: Japan Everyday

timaki

後輩
Reaction score
Japan Everyday is a new web site covering Japanese culture, language, media, and daily living. The goal of the site is to help you "Experience Everyday Life in Japan No Matter Where You Live." When I moved to Japan just over a year ago, I was overwhelmed by the number of new terms and activities I had to learn just to accomplish ordinary tasks. I knew I wasn't the only one going through this. So I started Japan Everyday as a place to share information, stories, and advice about everyday life in Japan as a new arrival.

New content is added several times each week. Beyond the articles posted on the site, there is a membership section with enhanced content and discussion groups. You can also follow along on Twitter and Facebook. Please visit Japan Everyday and let me know what you think.

Japan Everyday Logo Horiz.png

Kseniya

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Interesting site. For people who learn Japanese and don't live in Japan this site will be very useful! I added it to my bookmark bar. Good work!

timaki

後輩
Reaction score
Hello! Interesting site. For people who learn Japanese and don't live in Japan this site will be very useful! I added it to my bookmark bar. Good work!
Thank you! I am glad that you found the articles helpful.

mdchachi

Reaction score
A friend of mine put together a web site very much like yours called JapanNewbie.com but maybe he didn't pay his bills or lost interest after he left newbie-ness behind. It was up for at least 15 years.

Petaris

Sailing away...
Donor
Reaction score
By the way, the medical community no longer recommends using hydrogen peroxide on wounds.
I did some digging as that article from CR didn't give any reference as to that recommendation. It seems that it is preferable to use only water on the wound itself and a mild soap around the outside of the wound. However the water needs to be free of any contaminants, there are references to using either distilled water or saline solution to clean the wound (the CDC says saline is preferred otherwise use bottled water - Ref: Emergency Wound Care|Natural Disasters and Severe Weather ).

It also seems that the use of hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds is fairly controversial with no clear winner as to the use/don't use sides, but with a lot of websites claiming it should not be used but giving no reference to a source to back that claim up. I looked at a few websites that gave a little more information, it seems that in addition to killing off bacteria it might also harm skin cells which can result in wounds taking longer to heal or leaving a scar. However, and this is where the controversy seems to come in, there is not yet a clear indication of weather this is an immediate result or the result of multiple, repeated, applications of hydrogen peroxide to the open wound. Here is one study in which this is challenged: Hydrogen Peroxide: A Potential Wound Therapeutic Target

Sorry to derail the thread and for the headache you will soon have if you start down this rabbit hole of research! ;)

mdchachi

Reaction score
I did some digging as that article from CR didn't give any reference as to that recommendation. It seems that it is preferable to use only water on the wound itself and a mild soap around the outside of the wound. However the water needs to be free of any contaminants, there are references to using either distilled water or saline solution to clean the wound (the CDC says saline is preferred otherwise use bottled water - Ref: Emergency Wound Care|Natural Disasters and Severe Weather ).

It also seems that the use of hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds is fairly controversial with no clear winner as to the use/don't use sides, but with a lot of websites claiming it should not be used but giving no reference to a source to back that claim up. I looked at a few websites that gave a little more information, it seems that in addition to killing off bacteria it might also harm skin cells which can result in wounds taking longer to heal or leaving a scar. However, and this is where the controversy seems to come in, there is not yet a clear indication of weather this is an immediate result or the result of multiple, repeated, applications of hydrogen peroxide to the open wound. Here is one study in which this is challenged: Hydrogen Peroxide: A Potential Wound Therapeutic Target

Sorry to derail the thread and for the headache you will soon have if you start down this rabbit hole of research! ;)
I've heard it from multiple sources including a medical doctor who's in his 20s (indicating he's probably been taught the latest practice on the subject). I only posted the CR link from a quick Google search, picking that one since I consider them to be a relatively reliable source.
But to your point, they could be very well parroting information without verifying the source. And the source itself may not be definitive.

Top Bottom