What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

New "motto" for my karate club

Peter Milne

後輩
Reaction score
Hello kind folks.

I'd like three words translated into kanji please, it is to become the new "motto" for my karate club and will be displayed on the club branding:

Belong, aspire, achieve.

Hope this is possible. Many thanks!

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
What do you want to imply in those words? Belong to the club, aspire to something and achieve it in the club?

joadbres

八方凡人
Reaction score
I'd like three words translated into kanji please, it is to become the new "motto" for my karate club and will be displayed on the club branding:

Belong, aspire, achieve.
More questions:
Do you have a preference for how many Japanese characters the motto should be limited to (to fit within a logo, etc.), or is any length OK?
Could the motto use the noun forms of the words instead (i.e., meaning, roughly, "belonging", "aspiration", "achievement"), if that helps produce a more concise Japanese version?

Different languages don't always have a 1-to-1 correspondence with each other, so there are sometimes tradeoffs like these which you need to consider when making a translation.

Reaction score
how many Japanese characters
At the risk of making a rude and unnecessary intrusion on the discussion... as a lapsed karateka and current student of Japanese, I personally think that the best answer to the question would be one or more 四字熟語 (4-character idiom) on the theme. This may just be my personal bias as I really like the aesthetic of 四字熟語 banners on the walls of a dojo.

Also I'm never adverse to learning a new 4-character idiom myself.

Peter Milne

後輩
Reaction score
You got it, that's exactly what I was going for. I would prefer to have as few characters as possible, although it does need to make sense. A close translation to Japanese would be great, I understand how difficult it can be to get this 1-1.

Thanks!

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
Since it's not a phrase and actually three separate words, especially if you intend to put this on a patch or logo/design, I would physically separate them like 所属・大志・成就

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom