What's new

Need the international number for the USA IRS office for people living overseas

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
Hi
I need to call the IRS in the States for the Stimulus check. My story is this. I received the first check, but as you know we just can't cash American checks here. So I voided it and sent it back to the Treasury Dept. ( I might have made a mistake on that one, should have sent it to the IRS )
Well, I never heard back from anyone. My experience with the IRS dealing here overseas has been positive , never once was ignored, they always responded .
Now the Treasury Dept. well, that might be my problem because I may have sent the void check to the wrong place.

So I need to call the IRS from Japan like tomorrow. I'm not sure, but a number that was told to me might be this: 410-965-0160 But if that is correct would I dial 1-410-965-0160 ?

Thanks for any help.

You want a number that'll get you a human? Like you and how many zillion other people...?!?!?

They were already understaffed, and then covid screwed up tax season, and then they had to get millions of checks mailed (or direct deposits made). And now another one is going out. I doubt they've recovered from the first go round.

I think when you file your 2020 tax return you can claim it then--that you haven't received it. At least that's what I'm hoping, since I never got the first check.

But even then, they'll either get another check to you, eventually, or make a direct deposit into your US account.

You want a number that'll get you a human? Like you and how many zillion other people...?!?!?

They were already understaffed, and then covid screwed up tax season, and then they had to get millions of checks mailed (or direct deposits made). And now another one is going out. I doubt they've recovered from the first go round.

I think when you file your 2020 tax return you can claim it then--that you haven't received it. At least that's what I'm hoping, since I never got the first check.

But even then, they'll either get another check to you, eventually, or make a direct deposit into your US account.
Thanks.
I get my SS direct deposit here, but I don't know why they sent me a check for the stimulus money. Yes, I would assume calling them is going to be a bit expensive, but if I have to maybe I can have my brother stateside call them for me ?
Either way it would be nice to get some extra yen in the account. Got to act fast this time around. As you know the US Embassy in Tokyo just put out another statement telling us they do not help with such matters.
again, thank you

You could set up a Skype unlimited-calling account to the US. This web page says it is 350 yen per month. You might need to add a Skype number, which is around 650 yen per month more if you just buy one month. There may be cheaper options from other companies. I had such a setup going the other direction before I moved to Japan, and it "usually" worked. Some destinations don't like these VoIP number, and toll-free numbers often don't work with them. But if you have one of those Japanese calling plans that only gives you a 5-minute call for free before charging you something outrageous like 80 yen per minute, a one-time Skype account would save you money.

You could set up a Skype unlimited-calling account to the US. This web page says it is 350 yen per month. You might need to add a Skype number, which is around 650 yen per month more if you just buy one month. There may be cheaper options from other companies. I had such a setup going the other direction before I moved to Japan, and it "usually" worked. Some destinations don't like these VoIP number, and toll-free numbers often don't work with them. But if you have one of those Japanese calling plans that only gives you a 5-minute call for free before charging you something outrageous like 80 yen per minute, a one-time Skype account would save you money.
We actually have an NTT plan that is around 20 years old. We can call the States really cheap still. The new plans they offer seem cheap, but in fact are way more expensive then the plan we have now. I just hope the number I posted is the right number.
Thanks.

Giving the amount of time that has passed, I guess that you've managed to get the working number you're looking for. Therefore, give us an update on that. (rest of message is spam)

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem
Was able to get it solved. The phones were and fax s too busy, but I was able to take care of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom