What's new

Need Help with Kanji Stamps from Inside Pilot's Helmet

Flyingace

FlyingAce エースパイロット
Donor
23 Dec 2019
Majestic, having read some of the answers to questions here, you and others are very kind and knowledgeable about Kanji. We have many items with Kanji, but are trying to translate the Kanji stamps from a pilot's helmet right now. Our efforts to translate this ourselves after many days have been not accurate. From what we have read, the Kanji stamps may include the name of the manufacturer of the helmet, the arsenal where it was inspected, the model number of the helmet, and possibly the size.
Two photos of the Kanji stamps are attached, with different size and contrasting photos of each stamp. The small round stamp may be the arsenal mark. It looks like a turtle with three lines at the bottom.
Please advise how we can make a donation to keep this site going.
Thank you in advance,
Reid
DSCN5000a.jpg
DSCN5001a.jpg

square stamp
大阪製帽業組合納
Delivered by Osaka Hat Manufacturing Cooperative Association

round one
大支 (abbreviation of 阪陸軍被服廠)
昭十八製
Osaka Army Clothing Depots
Made in 1943

smaller round one
瀬川
Segawa (surname)

Toritoribe, Thank You so very much for your very timely assistance. We appreciate your help immensely.
This is a great help.
With great thanks,
Reid

Last edited:
square stamp
大阪製帽業組合納
Delivered by Osaka Hat Manufacturing Cooperative Association

round one
大支 (abbreviation of 阪陸軍被服廠)
昭十八製
Osaka Army Clothing Depots
Made in 1943

smaller round one
瀬川
Segawa (surname)

Toritoribe, we have just come across a stamp at the bottom of this image, on another pilot's flight helmet. Can you please advise translation of this stamp?
Thanking you in advance,
Reid

Japanese Kamikaze Named flight helmet #30265353 003a WWII Era.jpg

Dear Toritoribe,
Thank you for your help thus far. We have recently acquired a long time collection of Japanese material, with much kanji.
We do try to translate when we can, using various methods. However the print and the written script confuse us.
The two slogans below come from a hachimaki. Can you please tell us the translation?
Thank you,
Reid
Hachimaki Kanji 003.jpg

Would our name be Yoku Kan or Itsu Kan?
Thank you!
Reid

Please advise how we can make a donation to keep this site going.

Start here:

Actually, that's a single slogan.

武運長久
Buunchōkyū
Eternal Good Luck in Battle

Sorry, but I don't get what you mean.

Thank you for your quick reply once again.
A single slogan, separated on the hachimaki by 2 flags.
Hachimaki DSCN4735a Corrected Smaller.jpg

My screen name is Flyingce. Just wondering what that would be in Japanese, Yoku Kan or Itsu Kan?
Kan meaning the best or ace, Yuku or Itsu meaning pilot.
Oh, I see you have translated that from the Japanese as Kouhai. Thank you.

A single slogan, separated on the hachimaki by 2 flags.
It's common to separate a single word/phrase by a mark or picture.
hachimaki.jpg

By the way, the one you have doesn't seem to be hachimaki to me. Hachimake is usually used after folding into four, so the slogan or picture is written within a quarter-width of the cloth.
hachimaki_ori.jpg

hissho.jpg

I don't know where you got it from, but both are wrong. All those words don't make sense at all. "Flying ace" is usually called エースパイロット Ēsu-pairotto, i.e., the transliteration of "Ace Pilot". 撃墜王 Gekitsuiō is the Japanese term (エースパイロット would be more common, though).

My screen name is Flyingce. Just wondering what that would be in Japanese, Yoku Kan or Itsu Kan?
Oh, I see you have translated that from the Japanese as Kouhai. Thank you.

Kouhai has nothing to do with your screen name. It means "junior member" of the forum (based on the number of posts you have made).

"Flying ace" could be translated into Japanese as 撃墜王 (げきついおう).

Thank you.
So then what is 'Kouhai'?

Your question was already answered above.

Kouhai has nothing to do with your screen name. It means "junior member" of the forum (based on the number of posts you have made).
The default "title" below your screen name and country flag is generated automatically based upon the number of posts you've made to the forum. (There is no automatic service that translates your chosen username into Japanese as a forum title.)

This title can be customized via your account/profile page, so you could make yours 撃墜王 or エースパイロット if you want something more personalized.

Yes, saw my screen name had changed to the English 'kouhai', and thought it was a translation.

Ah, so the more common term would be 撃墜王 gekitsuiō. What about the noun 鳥人☆ (ちょうじん) choujin?

Our hachimaki is folded into thirds. In our extensive WWII period research, the hachimaki is folded in thirds.
It is approximately 32-1/2"(82.55cm) long X 6-3/4"(17.145cm) wide, which are approximate correct dimensions for hachimaki of this era.
If not a hachimaki, what would you believe it to be?
Thank you,
Reid

Ah, so the more common term would be 撃墜王 gekitsuiō. What about the noun 鳥人☆ (ちょうじん) choujin?
鳥人 just means "birdman" (or literally, "birdperson"). It could conceivably be used as slang for an aviator (there's a yearly contest in Japan where people compete with self-designed flying devices called the 鳥人間コンテスト, though it's pronounced とりにんげん in that case), but the average Japanese person seeing 鳥人 out of context is not going to associate it with the concept of a "flying ace". (You can confirm this for yourself by Google image searching for 鳥人 in Japanese, which turns up a lot of pictures of humanoid birds.)

I'll let someone else answer your other question. I agree it with Toritoribeさん that it doesn't look anything like a hachimaki, but I'm not confident enough to speculate on what it might be.

鳥人 just means "birdman" (or literally, "birdperson"). It could conceivably be used as slang for an aviator (there's a yearly contest in Japan where people compete with self-designed flying devices called the 鳥人間コンテスト, though it's pronounced とりにんげん in that case), but the average Japanese person seeing 鳥人 out of context is not going to associate it with the concept of a "flying ace". (You can confirm this for yourself by Google image searching for 鳥人 in Japanese, which turns up a lot of pictures of humanoid birds.)

I'll let someone else answer your other question. I agree it with Toritoribeさん that it doesn't look anything like a hachimaki, but I'm not confident enough to speculate on what it might be.
Thank you!

Our hachimaki is folded into thirds. In our extensive WWII period research, the hachimaki is folded in thirds.
It is approximately 32-1/2"(82.55cm) long X 6-3/4"(17.145cm) wide, which are approximate correct dimensions for hachimaki of this era.
If not a hachimaki, what would you believe it to be?
That's not the size of hachimaki, but the common size of tenugui (hand towel).
It's just tenugui is often used for hachimaki. If your one was used for hachimaki, what's written/painted on it wouldn't be understandable.

I'm skeptical about the authenticity of your tenugui, by the way. There are errors (lack of a dot, incorrect stroke directions, etc.) in the writing. I suspect that it's written by someone who actually didn't know kanji.

That's not the size of hachimaki, but the common size of tenugui (hand towel).
It's just tenugui is often used for hachimaki. If your one was used for hachimaki, what's written/painted on it wouldn't be understandable.

I'm skeptical about the authenticity of your tenugui, by the way. There are errors (lack of a dot, incorrect stroke directions, etc.) in the writing. I suspect that it's written by someone who actually didn't know kanji.
Oh my. Incorrect stroke direction, etc! Please advise the correct Kanji.
Thank you.

wrong parts.jpg

Just obvious ones.
red circles
The stroke direction should be from left to right, but these are in opposite direction.

blue
lack of a dot

yellow
The direction should be up to down, and and should be connected to the bottom stroke.

green
Strokes are wrong.

Especially, red ones are questionable. Natives never write in this direction.

Back
Top Bottom