What's new

Help with inked stamps on Yosegaki

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the recipient's name; 後藤亮二郎 Gotō Ryōjirō. However, I'm skeptical about the authenticity of the flag. The polite title right after his name seems like 寿, but I presume the writer actually wanted to write 君, and failed it.
Also,
  • The position of the red circle is not at the right center.
  • The writing right to the recipient's surname 後藤 looks like 大和心? 花櫻花, but this doesn't make much sense. I think this could be an incomplete copy of a famous waka (Japanese poem) 敷島の大和心を人問はば朝日に匂ふ山櫻花.
  • The right end one of the three signatures at the top of the flag is 後藤昇幹司, but this is very uncommon givnen name. In addition, the right component of 幹 is not correct.

LenR

Kouhai
Reaction score
That's the recipient's name; 後藤亮二郎 Gotō Ryōjirō. However, I'm skeptical about the authenticity of the flag. The polite title right after his name seems like 寿, but I presume the writer actually wanted to write 君, and failed it.
Also,
  • The position of the red circle is not at the right center.
  • The writing right to the recipient's surname 後藤 looks like 大和心? 花櫻花, but this doesn't make much sense. I think this could be an incomplete copy of a famous waka (Japanese poem) 敷島の大和心を人問はば朝日に匂ふ山櫻花.
  • The right end one of the three signatures at the top of the flag is 後藤昇幹司, but this is very uncommon givnen name. In addition, the right component of 幹 is not correct.
Hello Toritoribe, thank you for taking the time to look at the flag. I appreciate your expertise in deciphering the kanji.
The off centre Hinomaru is probably a manufacturing defect but the other errors you point out are cause for some concern.
Appreciate your kind assistance.
Len R

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
The off centre Hinomaru is probably a manufacturing defect
If so, those kinds of flags wouldn't be sold since it's considered disrespectful.

LenR

Kouhai
Reaction score
That adds another wrinkle that I had not considered. This flag was acquired from the Heiwajima market some 20 years ago and I realize that is no guarantee of authenticity. The fabrics used to construct the flag have been tested and conform with materials in use in the 30's and 40's. Certainly a dilemma!
Thanks again.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
"The flag is genuine" doesn't always mean "the yosegaki written on it is also genuine". As I wrote repeatedly in this forum, anyone can write anything, even can print anything or put any seals(genuine or fake) on a blank genuine flag afterward. Unfortunately, there are so many those kinds of fake flags made for sale. Here's an example of it.