What's new

Natto!!!

Lopan999

Junior Master
15 Aug 2004
Who here has tried natto?
I'm sure natto has been discused before. But I'd like to say: I beleive everyone should eat natto once--in the same way that everyone should eat haggis. I haven't had haggis yet, though.
I didn't like natto at all. The taste is kind of bad. But the worst part is the slime.
Don''t mean to offend those of you who like this who like malorderous untasty fermented slime beans.
Just wondering if anyone besides people from west Japan like it? (or is east Japan? I forgot...)

No no, the worst part is the smell...especially what happens to your breath once you've eaten a fair amount. I do agree that the sliminess, especially when people mix it and pull their chopsticks out, is pretty gross.

I've had it a couple of times...the first was the worst, then it's not as bad. You just have to get used to it. I definitely wouldn't say I like it, but I could eat it again.

I have three little containers in my fridge of the stuff. Are you saying I shall eat them so that when I go to Japan I'll be more tolerent of it?
What do you do to it to make it more tolerable? I hear you're supposed to put mustard and soy sauce in it (or something like that).

I have natto almost every day, haven't turned into a slimy, smelly creature yet. Besides, they say it's awfully healthy. Yum.

:p

I have never eaten it, and would not like to. Even my Japanese mother does not like it and has never served it for me! (lucky me!!) From friends, it is really nasty, and I must say it does not look tasty, and smells *funny*...

Well, the first time I ate natto, I approached it with a very open mind. I wasn't thinking about what I had heard from other people or anything. I just put the dashi/soy sauce in and the mustard in and started stirring. You're supposed to stir it with vigor so that it will form a kind of sticky mass. :p You know what it looks like? It kind of reminds me of making Rice Krispie Treats. The point where you mix the Rice Krispies in with the melted marshmallow. That's what it kind of looks like.

Anyway...I thought 'okay, this won't be so bad', so I took a bite. The first bite wasn't so bad, but the more I ate, the worse it got. The smell was so overwhelming, that I couldn't eat it anymore. The texture wasn't bad, it didn't look so bad, but the smell was too bad.

Just try it and see what you think.

kirei_na_me said:
Just try it and see what you think.

I am afraid I have to say "pass" and chicken out on this "mission natto".
I am normally not a picky person, but my boyfriend tried eating it after his last trip to Japan, and he gave me a detailed description of this "eating natto experience" with his business partners. He only ate it to be polite.

However, if I was served it involuntarily (like my boyfriend), I think I will definately take a bite to be polite. (and hold my breath!!!!)
But I would not order it voluntarily.

I trust all of your tastes and views of natto, and believe it is nasty myself. I don't think I am missing out on this "pleasure".

Hehe, I love natto. I could eat it everyday if I really felt the need too. The best part about natto is once you have the slime on your lips and you lick your lips they get very slimy and slippery. When I'm home by myself sometimes and I'm feeling lazy I just get a bowl of rice toss some natto on it and there's dinner. Oishii :)

I've eaten natto (natou?) several times. Usually with breakfast... mixed with mustard and soy sauce over hot rice, with some miso soup and a little fried fish... tasty breakfast.

Natto has a fairly pleasant taste actually. But, I think it's not for everyone. Just like durian - strong smell, good taste :)

I haven't tried it before and I saw it on the TV that some kind of natto is made of cooked beans together with a stick of dried grass. It's strange!!

Plus, how does natto really taste like? Is it salty or what?

Yuk!!

I tried it a couple of years ago at may friend Junko's request. It just smelled like stinky feet to me, and definitely sticky!!! What do expect with fomented soy beans?! No amount of mustard could help! I put it into my mouth and tried to eat it... I managed to swallow it down but did a little dry heaving afterwards. That was enough for me! :sick:

I love natto too with putting on the hot rice and mixed with mustard or sometimes with kimchi.

without its unique smell,it wont be tasty.
there is a very similiar food with natto in korea,but we use it for making soup.

I love natto-tabaskuko....
I fried it with flour and toubanjiang....
then put tabasuko on it

ax

thanks, but no thanks... i've smelt sewerage that smells better. i would have to be pretty bloody drunk and under a huge amount of peer pressure from attractive ladies to eat a even a mouthful.

lostmind said:
natto (natou?)
nattou technically, shortened to natto for some reason.

Last edited:
haggis is stuffed goatintestines right...??

Here's a recipe for the beloved Haggis of Scotland. In addition to the other naughty (read "delectable") bits, the lungs are traditionally included in Scotland, but are omitted here as it's illegal to sell lungs in the U.S. (Any clues as to why, anybody?). Some folks also think that liver shouldn't be used ..."

* 1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
* 1 sheep's stomach
* 1 sheep heart
* 1 sheep liver
* 1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
* 3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
* 3 onions, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* 3/4 cup stock

Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.

Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. ***** stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey.

I'll pass 😌

Thanks for the recipe Rocklee....having read the interesting "ingredients," I think that I will pass too.... :bikkuri: I will pass BOTH NATTO and HAGGIS!!

What does it look like after preparing the meal?? I guess it doesn't look tasty....natto doesn't look tasty either...

Anyone had chitterlings? Yummy pig intestines. Fried or boiled. They are the most disgusting smelling things on the face of the planet, but they test pretty good. They were kind of a poor man's food in the US south.

cicatriz esp said:
Ate it for the first time the other day. Smells like chocolate and tastes exactly like rum.

MMMMMMMMMMM tastes like Rum
I'll have to try it
But I guess who makes it is all the difference
The first time I had sushi I bought it from a store down the street as opposed to a good retaurant. It tasted like crap!!!
I through it in a frying pan with a bunch of Tobasco
I have since found good Restaraunts and love the stuf

Back
Top Bottom