What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Mysterious text on honinbo Dosaku and Satsugen.

Ger

Kouhai
Reaction score
Please have a look at these two pages from the 1829 book "Hokuso sadan" by Tachibana Nankei. My interest was the way a game of go was played on a four times bigger board by arranging them together, producing a 38x38 board. However the text remains a mystery to me. By feeding Google several kanji I had recognized, I found the first (right) half neatly digitized:

一道策本因坊は、近世圍碁の名人と云、察元、亦其頃の妙手にし
て、道策と碁を圍むに、勝負たがいにして、其優劣を見る事なし、
但碁盤を四面寄並べて一面として圍む時は、察元遙に劣りて
一番も勝事能はず、是盤面廣くなれは、察元が眼力行屆きて
見る事能はざる故なり、是人才の庶人たる時は、格別常人に異な
ることあらざるに、擧て用る時は、大に其功をあらはすがごとし、

Only a few differences (abbreviations?)
What I understood from google translate, taking 道策本因坊は to be Dosaku honinbo, and 察元 to be Satsugen, was that one player might be equally strong to another, but unbeatable on the four goban together.

Does the picture show the two at play? Problem is that Dosaku lived 1645 - 1702 and Honinbo Satsugen 1733 - 1788. I could not find a Satsugen from Dosaku's time.

So what does this text actually say?
What is said in the second (left) half of the text?
If not a translation, a general idea of what goes on would be nice.

200020206_00230 38x38+h.jpg

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Your interpretation is not correct. Google Translate is more unreliable than usual for classical Japanese. It says that Satugen and Dōsaku were equally strong, but Satsugen was far less than Dōsaku in a 38x38 board, and could never win him(= Dōsaku).

According to the Japanese Wikipedia page of Dōsaku, his pupil 桑原道節 Kuwabara Dōsetsu (later 井上因碩 Inoue Inseki) said that he would always be able to win his master if he had the first move in the game of go, but he would be immediately defeated by his master in a 38x38 board. Probably Nankei confused Dōsetsu with Satsugen, and misquoted this episode.

桑原道節(後の名人因碩)は「自分が師(道策)に先の手合で打てば百戦百勝である。だがもし碁盤を四面つなぎ、38路の盤で打ったらどうなるだろうか。自分はどこに打ってよいか見当もつかず難渋するであろうが、師はさらさらと打ち進め、自分などはたちまち三子ほどに打ち込まれてしまうに違いない」と述べている。

Does the picture show the two at play?
Most likely, yes.

So what does this text actually say?
The episode expresses that it's like a talented person is not different from ordinary people in normal times, but when they use their talent fully, the merits appear, as said in the end of the paragraph.

What is said in the second (left) half of the text?
It has nothing to do with the picture. It's a completely different episode about firearms.

Ger

Kouhai
Reaction score
Toritoribe, thanks a lot for solving this "time travel" mystery.

Google translate is not clear about the wiki quote you mentioned:
自分などはたちまち三子ほどに打ち込まれてしまうに違いない
Does it say Dosetsu would have to take three stones, or that he would lose by three points, or even something else...?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Google translate is not clear about the wiki quote you mentioned:
自分などはたちまち三子ほどに打ち込まれてしまうに違いない
Does it say Dosetsu would have to take three stones, or that he would lose by three points, or even something else...?
三子 means three-stone handicap. One-stone is equivalent to two dan ranks, so Dōsetsu said that he was 6 ranks or so lower than his master Dōsaku in ability in a 38x38 board (e.g. 9 dan vs. 3 dan).

Top Bottom