What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

My father came back with a Good Luck Flag

BuilderBruce

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Here is another Good Luck Flag that I have been remiss in getting authenticated and possibly repatriated if the right family can be found.

Is there anyone willing to look at the Kanji on this flag and give me their opinion and possible translations? I know very little about this, but it seems that there might be a family that would appreciate this far more than I possibly could.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Bruce

Attachments

• Flag Image.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 128

mdchachi

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Here is another Good Luck Flag that I have been remiss in getting authenticated and possibly repatriated if the right family can be found.

Is there anyone willing to look at the Kanji on this flag and give me their opinion and possible translations? I know very little about this, but it seems that there might be a family that would appreciate this far more than I possibly could.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Bruce
The experts will likely respond overnight but I would bet that it's fake. It's not addressed to anybody in particular. The kanji looks like it was written by the same hand throughout and it looks half-assed meaning the person who wrote it doesn't actually know Japanese. Notice the same "name" is written twice (second one down on both the right and left side). And then the name below the one on the left uses the same two characters in the previous name but in reverse order. Basically it just looks like somebody is making sh*t up as they go. And look at the name at bottom left. It looks like some really weird made-up combination based on the characters 川おトあそ千.

BuilderBruce

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for looking at this. If it is not authentic, that makes this quarantine project so much easier!

jeeplover

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
it should be noted Tojo/Seabee flags if made in the period do have history and value. American gi could not get enough flags so they made them. so do not just throw it away. then there are post-war occupation flags again real and hold some value. here is an example this flag belongs to my friend. this is a good example of a fake flag. if I remember correctly when I had this interpreted it was just a random sequence of words.

Attachments

• post war flag1.jpg
    post war flag1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 61
  • post war flag 2.jpg
    post war flag 2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom