What's new

Muramasa/Masamune Japanese swords

geist_seig said:
what was the name of the sword, that was used in kenshin "used to slay the rider and the horse with a single stroke" sorta a the appearance of the buster sword used by cloud in FF7..or did that even exist?

The name of that sword was a Zanbatou and I belive it is also apears in Samurai Warriors Sengku Musou but under the name Zanba. However, it looks totaly diferent from what Sanosuke had. In that video game it looks like a long katana and is used by someone who looks like a girl a famouse retainer of Oda family Ranmaru Mori. Also, what intrigues me as well is that Nobuanga Oda uses a Muramasa sword there as well and it's his fourth weapon.

Is it historically accurate? Had the famouse demon lord ever used a Muramasa blade?

ナスa窶拵窶慊?ZanbaTou) is a weapon used in a battlefield to early period of NANBOKUCYOU ツ〜 Muromachi ツ〜 Azuchimomoyama (for 1300-1550 years).
It is the sword which it used so that a foot soldier cuts a horse.
Full length of a sword is longer than a human whole body and is very heavy.
It is 180cm - 300cm full length
It is 2.5kg - 8.0kg weight
A sword blade is thick and is obstinate.
Actually, ZANBATOU was not used frequently.
The military horse was precious property.
It is desirable for it to be unhurt and to obtain a horse.
The attack to a horse is a taboo.
However, this ZanbaTou is a weapon to attack a horse
It breaks a taboo.
It is a disliked weapon.
ZanbaTou is used by common soldiers and employing mercenaries (a masterless samurai).
Famous military commander and samurais did not need to use ZanbaTou.
The big sword for cutting people is called "NODACHI" OR "ODACHI".

サービス終了のお知らせ

Japanese Cavalier killer sword "Zanba Tou"- 斬馬刀

MORIRANMARU is a page of ODANOBUNAGA.
It is not thought to have used ZanbaTou because he is a child of a daimyo.
A love sword of Nobunaga Oda is "窶敕オ窶楼ツ坂?倪?卍キ窶魯ツ住ナ津オ窶吮?ー / ヒ?ェ窶「ツカナスナ。窶ケg窶甜(BIZEN NO KUNI OSAFUNE JYU MITUTADA / ICHIMONJIYOSHIFUSA)"

i just love how they use those names a lot in animes that have samurais like kenshin and samurai deeper kyo...kinda gives you some history...but then not really ^^;

i should really read on more of this sometime...

Yeah,

Ive been told that many of the anime using samurai names distort the actual facts. But that why people watch cartoons of any kind. Its for entertainment

Muramasa Blades

I have studied Japanese and chinese history for a long while. I have been a long admirier of "The Blades of Legend"; however I believe if*Correct me if I am wrong* that Muramasa did not create just one sword. However, he created 3 swords. Yes, one sword was that of evil and the Tukogawa family. Spelling I am not so sure about. However, this blade was forged in 2146 times. It was suppose to have been non-existant to those times. However, before this sword was ever created, I believe he created a sword called Ten Chi Sei Wa. The Sword of Heaven and Earth's Peace and unity. IF I am correct on the translattion. Now, The other sword I heard was suppose to have been created after Rusamara created his sword of Jealousy. I am not sure though if this legend was true or not. For no one has ever heard of any other sword than the White CLoud Sword. However, I uncovered these legends through familes in Japan, and history books, of verious degrees. My main sources were ancient scrolls written in the kanji by the name of Master Tokogichi. I am curious however if any of these legends sound familiar with you? If so can you please email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Irashtugal:eek:

3 muramasa swords

Hey sorry I took so long 2 return back 2 u guys.... I bn bissy latey wit the ever changing wrk market......or shud I say unstable wrk market.

And then I gt hit by that huge hurrican Katrina. So now I am n California trying 2 make it.

To answer right quick..... I think I do remember muramasa crafted 3 swerds.... Each one for a family..... But I cnt remember their names at this time... But I will look n2 the names u provided and confirm ur findings......

Keep up tha good reserch and take care.... Oh by the way u guys out there reading this. I was n tha mall and passed a knide shop...wud u believe I saw a quad bladed dagger wit the two blades crossing each other 2 form a cross. The blades had a Raptor or Dragon edge design....this was a awesome blade and was only $300 something.... I'm looking n2 getting it soon.

Peace yall....

I have a question about masamune/muramasa swords.. As i was reading about them i began wondering if there were any masamune or muramasa swords still in circulation today. I tried to look for the answer myself, but came up with nothing.

One more question, might be kinda dumb i dont know... if there are any swords still in circulation today, i'd imagine they are pretty priceless, but if one were to sell them, about how much do you think they would go for? not that i could afford one, just kind of curious

Thanks!

From what I understand. That these swords arent in circulation.

They might be in some very highly guarded private collections, though I think there in museums.

Actually, just to clear things up, muramasa was not masamune's apprentice.
Masamune lived and worked in the 14-15th century, and muramasa lived and worked in the 16-17th century.

masamune's swords today are considered japanese national treasures.

I don't think you'll be able to buy one on ebay...

There's also rumor of a muramasa blade somewhere in northern ca... probobly some rich yokel...

Actually, just to clear things up, muramasa was not masamune's apprentice.
Masamune lived and worked in the 14-15th century, and muramasa lived and worked in the 16-17th century.

hey guys its been a long time. Ok ur quote above has 2 flaws: 1 someone has already refered that was at least 2 known Masamume's between 13 to 17 century, 2nd people live longer than 1 century since thats a 10 year period.

One point I would like to add, is that SWORDS made by famous smiths OR OLD TRADITIONAL/FAMILY HEIRLOOM swords CANNOT be taken out of Japan. They will confiscate it if it happens. The only way to really take them out of the country is smuggling, but it is frowned upon. I would really not want to take a countries treasure from them for it is a piece of history that they would like to keep.

ALSO
masamune and Muramasa the 2 people that are so famous LIVED in different TIME PERIODS. AT NO POINT WERE THEY MASTER, APPRENTICE. Friendly neighbours or such. Maybe another 2 people coincidentally named the same met and were also swordsmiths. As such coincidences cannot be ruled out

The facts are out there if you want them

wow, so it is true, so it is also tru that the, correct me if I'm wrong, blacksmiths guild in Japan, did wipe out there recognition for making high quality swords due to the fact that those inccidents happeb in the Tokugawa family? So general, based on what the book described not many people would know to much about there craftsmenship there after.
It also mentioned that Masamune, Muramasa's teacher, tempered swords of pure steel in a way to be considered a master, I wonder if its possible to discover his secrets if Masamune's craftsmenship created extremly sharp swords.

First, the smiths did not destroy their reputation. There are hundreds of working smiths to this day, even more during the millenium of civil wars. Muramasa was considered a brilliant smith in his day, but was also considered insane. This accounts for much of the image of their blades as being evil, given the way of thinking of historical Japan.

Second, yes the Tokugawa had problems with Muramasa, and issued banns on their people carrying them, and this went far in creating the legend of the Evil Muramasa. But, as should be obvious, many samurai were not part of the clan and could carry them, if they could get their hands on them. Muramasa was a skilled smith and his blades are of high quality, which was highly valued in a country at war.

Third, the traditions of forging a Japanese sword are still alive, as witnessed by the annual festival in Seki (a city in the province of Gifu, between Tokyo and Kyoto-not far from Sekigahara). It is possible to buy modern swords made with traditional techniques, so there is a great deal known about their craftsmanship.

Fourth, Masamune was not Muramasa's teacher. Apart from the fact that they trained and worked in different provinces, they lived in different centuries. If I am not mistaken, the earliest known work or Muramasa was dated 1501, while Masamune dates to the late 1200s and early 1300s. Masamune actually worked before the practice of signing and dating blades became tradition, so there are few works signed by this master. There are some, however.

There is a rumor of one Masamune blade (the Honjo Masamune) somewhere in Northern Calif. Story goes that it was part of the Imperial Family collection, and after WWII they gave it (and 13 other blades) to a police station. The following year the police gave the collection to an Americal soldier (Sgt or General or something) but there are no reports after that. California is an unsubstantiated rumor only.

Hope this helps.

ZANBATOU on Display

ナスa窶拵窶慊?ZanbaTou) is a weapon used in a battlefield to early period of NANBOKUCYOU ツ〜 Muromachi ツ〜 Azuchimomoyama (for 1300-1550 years).
It is the sword which it used so that a foot soldier cuts a horse.
Full length of a sword is longer than a human whole body and is very heavy.
It is 180cm - 300cm full length
It is 2.5kg - 8.0kg weight
A sword blade is thick and is obstinate.
Actually, ZANBATOU was not used frequently.
The military horse was precious property.
It is desirable for it to be unhurt and to obtain a horse.
The attack to a horse is a taboo.
However, this ZanbaTou is a weapon to attack a horse
It breaks a taboo.
It is a disliked weapon.
ZanbaTou is used by common soldiers and employing mercenaries (a masterless samurai).
Famous military commander and samurais did not need to use ZanbaTou.
The big sword for cutting people is called "NODACHI" OR "ODACHI".
There is a ZANBATOU at a shop in Tokyo called Japan Sword (japanswordcojp) which is almost a museum in itself. They sell both new and old swords, but mostly antiques. They have three floors of sword related items, including many fittings and some armour. They have a Zanbatou and I have to say it is disturbingly huge. They told me it usually took two people to swing it (and the hilt was long enough and then some) and they would swing it once and then disgard it for direct fighting. It had a mount on the side so that it could be attached to the body while swinging. Crazy.

Last edited:
You know, they're selling what is claimed to be an authentic Masamune tanto on ebay right now, with a certificate of authenticity... anyone got about $10,500 US? :)
Just thought y'all might be interested.

authentic swords

wow thats cool....but i must wondr if its ebay thats selling the sword is it really authentic or just said its real and sharpened....

cant be to careful

And one more thing...i understand that their is different time periods of when masamune and muramasa lived but keep in mind i have the book which i found the information and who's to argue the book...and 2nd...isnt it obvious their were many samurai's and blacksmith who may have had the last name muramasa and masamune if they all had children???

keep in mind sometimes familys pass on down their business to their sons.

🙂

is a nice vid that shows one of the many variants that made each smith great in their time some used various cooling methods that set them apart but all in all Masamune was great not for the swords themselves But his folding technique the 1 blade he made that earned his name which is the blade the legends are a bout was said to have been folded over 1000 times and was so sharp it could cut light itself make whom ever wielded it seem invisible to the eyes of the opponent Muramasa whom can several 100 year after Masamune was said to have went mad trying to beat the best sword smith in all of japan he sot (though im sure with being the nice lovely time difference between the 2 smiths they never knew each other) to out do the Masamune Blades and make a name for himself and he did just that Masamunes the beautiful blades and Muramasas the Blood-Thirsty blades

Back
Top Bottom