What's new

More Deadly than Fugu

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
15 Mar 2002
This being the traditional time of year when people choke to death on mochi, and having seen on television last night a bit on the famously poisonous fugu, I decided to google around a bit and see which one is more deadly.

Not surprisingly, bland pounded rice cakes kill far and away more people than the poisonous seafood delicacy.

Mochi has at times killed more people in about two days than fugu has killed in the last ten years.

Probably we'd also need to factor in the amount of mochi consumed per capita and compare it to the total consumption of fugu to establish a relative lethality rate. Having had my share of mochi yesterday I can attest to its treacherousness: while being of low viscosity as long as it's hot (and thereby risk burning your inner tracts while devouring it), cooled-down mochi turns into a gelatinous unchewable mass of potentially choking blob.

Given its taste - or lack thereof - not really worth the risk. :emoji_wink:

Although I like ozoni:

Given its taste - or lack thereof - not really worth the risk. :emoji_wink:

Although I like ozoni:

Well make sure to apologize to the relatives for not eating it:

大変餅ございません。
:emoji_anguished:

And the groans will ensure you are never invited to partake again. (for the record, I am a daredevil and will risk my life with miso based ozoni

Ozoni-Kansai-w600-II.jpg

Back
Top Bottom