What's new

Monbukagakusho Scholarship Information

seaghyn

後輩
31 Aug 2007
This forum will be in relation to all information pertaining to the Monbukagakusho scholarship. When you post, it would be helpful if you labeled the top of your reply with something such as "Undergraduate(Country)" etc, so that we will be able to tell what type of scholarship you are applying for/have, and how information relates to that.

Undergraduate(USA):

The Monbukagakusho is a Japanese Government Scholarship that has three major benefits to the grantee.
1. Two way airfare for entering, then leaving Japan before/after study period.
2. Monthly stipend of roughly 134,000 yen (varies on fiscal years budget)
3. Tuition and fees waived/paid in full by the Japanese Government.

There are basic requirements that have to be fullfilled, and the schedule is as follows:

1. Application due by May 25th
2. Exams/Interviews around Mid-June
3. Selections announced in December
4. February - Information to grantees about visa/passport and other things
5. April 1-7 Arrive in Japan for beginning of new future.

The next bit of information is what I have collected browsing statistics websites (JASSO)

1. 117,000 students go to Japan each year to study.
2. 9,800 go as grantees of the Monbukagakusho
3. 500-ish of those are for Undergraduate
4. 1,700 USA students go to Japan to study each year.
5. only ONE student is selected from the entire USA per year. That is how competitive this is. Study hard...

That is about it, if more information comes up, I'll try to post it. However, my information is limited to the Undergraduate, and even the Consulate has said that the Graduate Scholarship is easier to receive.

Thank you all for reading this, and if there is anything you would like to add, or ask, don't hesitate. Also, if you have received/applied for the scholarship already, would you be able to tell me what it was like to sit for the exams, the interviews, the wait times, what people came dressed like, etc?

Thanks again,

/~.~\ Seaghyn

hi i am from saudia arabia and i passed the horrible exams and the interview which all happened in one day on june.
i applied for the undergraduate scholarship (Business Administration) we all were 6 ,me and my friend passed but i dont know know about the others XS.
i count the days waiting for december to arrive...its so hard everyday thinking about the final results T-T.
I have a question,if someone pass the exam and the interview is getting the scholarship hard? anyone heard of someone passed the exams and the interview but didn't got the scholarship in the final results?
and thanks for this useful thread!

I have a question,if someone pass the exam and the interview is getting the scholarship hard? anyone heard of someone passed the exams and the interview but didn't got the scholarship in the final results?
and thanks for this useful thread![/QUOTE]

I also wander about this. I couldn't find nothing on the net.:? I hope everything will be ok after waiting so much.:)

There are some people were given in the shortlist(in november) but finally they failed.So i think the best for you is waiting.The final result is about febuary.

I think its depends on the country and how many passed the exams&the interview...

There are some people were given in the shortlist(in november) but finally they failed.So i think the best for you is waiting.The final result is about febuary.

and they are from?

Yes i also think that depend of the country. From what I saw they accept more students from country in development. I wander if it matter also what you study there or the university that accepted you.

Only 1 from the whole of USA? Why is that so? Is there a quota set for each country or something?

As far as I know there is no quota for each country. But I think they prefer developing countries more than developed countries. Maybe this is the reason that is only one student from USA. I guess is something about equal chances. I only know that if no one is good from a country , no one will pass from that country so quota doesn't matter I think.

Yes i also think that depend of the country. From what I saw they accept more students from country in development. I wander if it matter also what you study there or the university that accepted you.

This, and other points being discussed here I think, are different depending which level of education you're applying for. For the undergraduate level (and DEFINITELY the "special training college" or senshu gakko program), some preference seems to be given to developing countries for sure. Also a factor is that, according to the information provided by JASSO, there are around 400 spots allocated for new undergrads each year, and about ten times as many for postgraduate/research. So these are two completely different ballgames. If you're coming from the US or a European country our AUS/NZ anyway, I personally kind of think that the research/grad level program would be more worth your while in general (depends what you want to study though).

Well, I'm planning to apply for the Research scholarship in the sciences.
Hope to be able to get a chance in the selections.

can someone give further details for undergraduate scholarship............
cz i am going to apply in 2008...........can someone tell me about that?
i am wondering how is the process going on and how tough it is?
wht is the scholarship test about in world history as i do not learn world history in high school.....can any one help me?

I have urgent question (Monbukagakushu for two married couple)

Hi, All. I have urgent question (Monbukagakushu for two married couple)😌. One of my friends in Japan said that Monbukagakushu scholarship can be valid for married couple? Is it right? I mean husband is a master student (Monbukagakushu scholarship) and his wife is also master or doctor student (Monbukagakushu scholarship). Can you give detailed information aout that, and if it is right can the husband of my friend apply for the scholarship even his wive is still awarding the scholarship.
Wait you reply:p

hello every one, I am 24 years old from Tunisia undergraduate student, currently 3rd year (HEC : High commercial education)

i would like to ask about the "Monbukagakushu" :

-useful information
-fields of study in Japan ' this is the most important sheet of papre I need for the selection'
-some advices :)

Thanx to all....

hi i am from saudia arabia and i passed the horrible exams and the interview which all happened in one day on june.
i applied for the undergraduate scholarship (Business Administration) we all were 6 ,me and my friend passed but i dont know know about the others XS.
i count the days waiting for december to arrive...its so hard everyday thinking about the final results T-T.
and thanks for this useful thread!
if some1 get d pass mark in d exam( pass mark is set by d japan gov.)he surely will go to japan if he has no medical problem.interview is just a formality.

English Questions

I had some questions about the English portion of the exam and wondered if this might be a good place to post them. I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong in questions III 4, III 8 from this previous exam: (I don't have enough posts to add the url, but it's at wwwDOTstudyjapanDOTgoDOTjp/en/toj/pdf/08-004.pdf
The answer key: wwwDOTstudyjapanDOTgoDOTjp/en/toj/pdf/08-kenkyu_answer.pdf
Any help would be great! Good luck to all those applying! 🙂

Hi,
I want to try to get MONBUKAGAKUSHO schoolarship for undergraduate, I am from the Czech republic and Iツ´m going to study maths. Do you think I have a chance of getting that with no knowledge of Japanese? I suppose that in maths, physics, chemistry and english Iツ´d be really successful.

Have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom