What's new

Monaka shell recipe

Baloo120

Registered
14 May 2021
Hi to you all
I'm a Portuguese chef doing Japanese food in a restaurant in Portugal. Need help from you.
Can some one tell me a recipe for Monaka Shells, just the outside of the monaka wagashi.
Thank you

And another. (Section 2).

I remember seeing taiyaki being made and they would press the shells in a heated cast iron mold, to get the familiar shapes. I didn't realize they were made from mochi, but that seems simple enough.

I don't think taiyaki is the same thing. I believe it's made of dough, kind of like pancake batter or something like that.

Thank you for all the ideas.
No, taiyaki is not the same thing, the dough is more liquid and fluid and in the end its more fluffie than monaka shells.
i've seen a recipe made with mochie rice flour where the taiyaki technic is used but still looking for a better recipe.
i will try with mochi and a press lets see. but if you guys have different recipes please share.
Thanks again

Ah, so they aren't the same, but Monaka shells are made from mochi though? I'd think that either way you'd need a heated mold to get the shape and texture. Interested to see what you come up with. I love the subtlety and deceptive simplicity of wagashi.

Mochi rice flour/Glutinous rice flour(白玉粉 shiratama-ko) is the main ingredient.

glutinous rice flour: 40g
water: 40ml
corn starch: 7g
(for 10 pieces of monaka shell)

Back
Top Bottom