What's new

Moikwl and Naked Illusion

What is Moikwl? It seems like a name with perhaps unconventional (or Welsh?) pronunciation? In this case, a transliteration into ateji (kanji used for sounds) would be more or less illegible and meaningless. I recommend katakana to approximate its pronunciation.

There are a few ways "naked illusion" could be translated, can you expound on what you're hoping to express here?

Thankyou for you reply. They are brand names have been asked to do a Japanese t-shirt design.

@Gtx4jay If you give us the pronunciation of Moikwl we can approximate it with katakana. And what kind of business is Naked Illusion in?

Last edited:
Moi as in me and kwl as in cool both are clothing Brands . tried katakana translator and it comes up with モイクワル and ネーキッド・イルージョン ?

OK, with katakana the goal is to approximate the pronunciation as closely as possible. I think the katakana translator didn't really know how to handle it, and the result may not sound right to you: モイクワル (you can click on this link and hit the "listen" button on the Japanese side to hear how this is pronounced).

So, is "Moi" is pronounced like the English "me" or the French word that means "me"?

In the former case, I would say in romaji (Japanese pronunciation with the alphabet), the first vowel would be shorter and not elongated, miku-ru (the dash denotes a long vowel. There's no syllable-final "L" in Japanese, so it would be approximated to "ru." In Katakana this would be ミクール

If it's the French pronunciation, that first character would be replaced with something more like モア "moa," モアクール

For Naked Illusion, the katakana translator did OK, though I would probably write キッド・イルージョン, neikiddo iru-jon, favoring more of a dipthong in the first syllable of "naked" than a drawn-out, flat "ne-." Both katakana spellings seem to be used, although in different contexts for some reason. It doesn't make a huge impact on how it sounds, so this could be up to you. Both pronunciations together for comparison.

If you wanted that written in kanji, there may be a few different ways to write it (perhaps @Toritoribe would be a better translator), but it would be pronounced completely differently and maybe have some nuance you didn't intend. I would stick with the katakana, as anyone who could read katakana would be able to pronounce the company name correctly.

Last edited:
For moi kwl assuming it's the French pronunciation then it would be
モワ for moi and クール for kwl (cool). You could also use only クー if you want to drop the L sound.

So any of these would work.
モワクール or モワ・クール or モワクー or モワ・クー

Assuming you want a kanji design for aesthetics and are not worried about understandability, you could go with a made-up word for Naked Illusion such as
裸幻 . If you want katakana, use what nice gajin said.

I tried looking around for French language stuff in katakana and I only found one source that said モア but モワ seems like a reasonable transliteration
I didn't do an extensive search. I just assumed the first reference I found was right.

Thank you all. aesthetics would probably do . the moi as in me is English sounding . they are for a Japanese themed design.

Thank you all. aesthetics would probably do . the moi as in me is English sounding . they are for a Japanese themed design.
What do you mean? There is no English sounding "moi." It's a French word. Pronounced something like "mwa."
Or do you mean you pronounce in the same way you pronounce "me"?

they are for a Japanese themed design.
Katakana is a phonogram. It only expresses the pronunciation, so you can't distinguish homonyms. Thus, both "kwl" and "cool" are transliterated as クール in katakana, and similarly, both "me" and "moi" are ミー. It's like that you can't distinguish "kwl" from "cool" or "moi" from "me" in oral utterance when the pronunciations are the same. Or more likely, almost all Japanese people, including me, would interpret that katakana ミー クール represents "me cool" since these are very common loan words in Japanese. It would be OK that you are going to use katakana as a Japanese-like t-shirt design for your customers, but if it's for Japanese people, I don't recommend using katakana.

"Moi" is the Polish word "me(私の)"
"Kwi"="cool(かっこいい)"
"私のかっこ良い(Watashi no kakkoyoi )" = It is wrong in Japanese grammar.
"私はかっこいい(watashi ha kakkoii)" = I am cool.
"私のかっこよさ(watashi no kakkoyosa)" = My coolness.

かっこいい( kakkoii)= 恰好良
synonym
1.お洒落(osharena)
2.瀟洒(shousha) or 瀟灑((shousha)
3.伊達(Date)
・・・・
These are words used mostly for men.

Back
Top Bottom