What's new

Miyamoto Musashi fans...

CFP

先輩
25 May 2003
Here is an interesting thread on another forum...
http.//www.2.g-com.ne.jp/~japan/cgi-bin301/ikonboard.cgi?s=3f0bade4414cffff;act=st,f=11,t=71
For Musashi fanatics in Japan.
Sorry I can't get the link to work.

I like the story of Musashi, but I really hate the NHK TV series. The fight scenes, the acting, the lighting, its all wrong.

Originally posted by Himura
Here is another link to a Musashi-Fanpage
==> This Guy was really cool <==

http://www.musashiusa.org/

To be honest, after looking at that site, and the petition... it seems a bit weird - the sort of idol worshipping...

Also, I'm surprised to read a historian who still believes in the idea of historical 'truth'.

Musashi had no real sensei, no real idol he could look up to. he didn't fake the style of someone, that made him especial

I liked Eiji Yoshikawa's book about Musashi a lot. I stopped watching the NHK version after the first coupe episodes because it was so bad. I just read that guys petition and, though I don't understand what drove him to bother starting such a petition, I agree with what he was saying.

I don't at all have a problem with writers taking poetic liscence with historical facts so long as they do a good job of it. The NHK series is so incompetently done on so many levels that I can't at all defend it. Its terrible.

YES!!! the novel by eiji yoshikawa is really grate! i loved it, he has a grate writing-style

Right on ,Himura.

Did you ever read Taiko or the Heike Monogatari? Yoshikawa's Heike was the first novel I read about Japan, I thought it was fantastic and couldn't put it down until I got to the end. Then I found out that he had died in the middle of writing it and hadn't finished it, which was a real bummer. I haven't read any of his other works, but I think of myself as a sort of fan.

No, I didn't read that... but do you have some book titles for me?
Is there something you can recommend to me? 👍

Taiko is the story of Toyotomi Hideyoshi and his rise from a peasant child to become Shogun of Japan. Its a good book, but not as good as Musashi.

The Heike story is about the Heike clan, a 12th century Samurai family that fought with the Genji clan for dominance but were defeated and completely wiped out. The story is fantastic, even better than Musashi I think, but unfortunately he never finished writing it so it ends abruptly in the middle of the story.

THose are the two other Yoshikawa novels that have been translated into English. Maybe there are more.

edit: which is based on the novel, yes i know :)

i like vagabond
impressed that viz actually keeps the size and the cover art the same as the japanese verz

Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue is cool!!! but some details are different to the Yoshikawa-Novel so it's a bit strange to read...but i love it despite! 🙂
I'm a real MUSASHI - Fan!!!

I am now reading "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa. It is a great book, indeed, but unfortunalty, the french translation of the book is from ... english, and not Japanese. :( How bad!!!!
I am starting to be a big Miyamoto Musashi and want to learn/see more about him !!
Thanks for giving links ;)

Back
Top Bottom