What's new

Mikoto...is the name Male or Female or Both? Or just Surname?

PSev

Registered
12 Feb 2016
I'm working on a short story and from I've read it can be female or male. But I have seen it mostly as a last name. Thanks guys. New here, would love help.

If not, is there a name that sounds similar that can be both genders?

Are you talking about Makoto, maybe?
I've never seen the surname Mikoto.
Thank you for answering! I really appreciate it. Maybe I have I misread some things. But my biggest question: Is Mikoto is both a female and male first name in Japan?

I think maybe Psev is referring to a name of the gods, like "Susano O no-Mikoto"?

To Psev, Mikoto is a bit of an unusual name. I've only seen it on mythological names. Maybe you have misheard it?

Edit: Oops, I see you intend it for a first name. I've never heard of a first name like this. If you are shooting for authenticity, you might opt for a more common name.

I think he has seen the given name "Makoto", probably with the names in Japanese order and just assumed it was a surname.

Thank you for answering! I really appreciate it. Maybe I have I misread some things. But my biggest question: Is Mikoto is both a female and male first name in Japan?
I've never heard of anyone with that name. If you're looking to use a common Japanese name, that isn't one.

it can be confusing sometimes because many female and male names end in 'o' but I think it's mostly female names which start with 'Mi'

it can be confusing sometimes because many female and male names end in 'o' but I think it's mostly female names which start with 'Mi'
As Mike-san pointed out, there are so many common male given names that start with "Mi", e.g., Mikio, Mikinori, Mikihiko, Mikihisa, Mikiya, Michio, Michishige, Michitada, Michitarō, Michinobu, Michinori, Michimasa, Michiya, Michiru, Mitsuo, Mitsukuni, Mitsuhiko, Mitsuyoshi, Mitsuru, Minato, Mineo, Mineya, Minoru,,,.

Back
Top Bottom