What's new

Mid-Term Exam for Class 3-11

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
I've just finished making the mid-term exam for Class 3-11, which is a "sports class".
Some of the students are very bad at English.

Would you mind checking my exam?

1 ( )に当てはまる語句を(ア)~(ウ)から一つ選びなさい。1×20 = 20
①My sister ( ) go there on Wednesdays. (ア)isn't (イ)don't (ウ)doesn't
②( ) your mother a singer? (ア)Is (イ)Do (ウ)Does
③( ) your grandfather drink coffee every day? (ア)Is (イ)Do (ウ)Does
④I sometimes ( ) temples in Kyoto . (ア)visit (イ)is visit (ウ)visits
⑤Hiroshi and I go ( ) school at seven. (ア)to (イ)for (ウ)the
⑥They ( ) get up early. (ア)aren't (イ)don't (ウ)doesn't
⑦He ( ) cats. (ア)like (イ)likes (ウ)is like
⑧I ( ) play tennis. (ア)am (イ)don't (ウ)doesn't
⑨My mother speaks ( ). (ア)English fluent (イ)English fluently (ウ)fluently English
⑩That bike is ( ). (ア)my (イ)my's (ウ)mine
⑪My parents ( ) chess. (ア)play (イ)plays (ウ)is play
⑫My parents ( ) teachers. (ア)is (イ)are (ウ)do
⑬My uncle often ( ) the lake in the summer. (ア)visit (イ)visits (ウ)is visit
⑭I like chocolate very ( ). (ア)good (イ)well (ウ)much
⑮I ( ) like soccer. (ア)good (イ)really (ウ)am
⑯He plays soccer very ( ). (ア)good (イ)well (ウ)really
⑰I always go to school ( ) bus. (ア)in (イ)on (ウ)by
⑱They know ( ) about computer programing. (ア)really (イ)a lot (ウ)a lot of
⑲( ) your sister and you study Japanese every day? (ア)Is (イ)Do (ウ)Does
⑳( ) this cellphone have a camera? (ア)Is (イ)Do (ウ)Does

2 日本語の意味に合うように( )に一語ずつ入れなさい。1×20 = 20
①私は、あなたのおじいさんをよく知っている。
I know ( )( ) very ( ).
②あなたは、毎日ラジオを聞きますか。
( ) you ( )( ) the radio every day?
③彼らは毎日テレビを2時間見ます。
They ( ) TV for ( )( ) every day.
④おばのメアリーは毎日早起きです。
Aunt Mary ( ) up ( ) every day.
⑤ジェーンはあまり日本語がうまくありません。
Jane ( ) speak Japanese very ( ).
⑥イスラム教徒は牛肉を食べますか。
( ) Muslims ( ) beef?
⑦パットは時々この公園に来る。
Pat ( ) comes ( ) this ( ).
⑧ケイトは日本に住んでいる。
Kate ( )( ) Japan.

3 ( )の中の語を並び替えて、日本語に合う英文を作りなさい。一語だけ不要な語
が含まれている
ので注意すること。文頭の文字は大文字にすること。2×10 = 20
①僕は毎日理科の勉強をする。I ( science math day study every ).
I study science every day.
②私たちはいつもここで昼ご飯を食べています。We ( lunch eat here in always often ).
We always eat lunch here.
③私は、学校で日本語を勉強しています。( school Japanese I at to study ).
I study Japanese at school.
④父は毎朝コーヒーを飲む。My ( morning drink drinks every coffee father ).
My father drinks coffee every morning.
⑤私はこのドラマが大好きです。( drama like very I this really ).
I really like this drama.
⑥ほとんどの生徒は、この町に住んでいます。( city students of this in most live ) .
Most students live in this city.
⑦私はアメリカにたくさんの友達がいます。( a America of in lot many I have friends ).
I have a lot of friends in America.
⑧君はこの教室で日本語の勉強をしてるんだね。
You ( Japanese study classroom this in at ).
You study Japanese in this classroom.
⑨彼らは、毎朝、このあたりを走っています。
They ( here morning in around run every ).
They run around here every morning.
⑩メグと私は、毎週月曜日に会います。Meg ( I Mondays and every on meet ).
Meg and I meet on Mondays.

4 ( )の中の正しい語句を記号で選びなさい。1×15 = 15点
American genius is to be found in both the arts and the sciences. ①([ア]In, [イ]On,
[ウ]For) example, Walt Whitman is well known ②([ア]at, [イ]as, [ウ]to) a great American poet. He was born ③([ア]in, [イ]on, [ウ]to) Long Island in 1819. ④([ア]At, [イ]As, [ウ]On) an early age he moved to Brooklyn. He was forced to go to work ⑤([ア]where, [イ]why,
[ウ]when) he was quite young. However, he read a great deal.
After ⑥([ア]teach, [イ]taught, [ウ]teaching) school for a while, he became a newspaper writer and finally the editor of the Brooklyn Eagle. Because ⑦([ア]of, [イ]to, [ウ]for) his opposition to slavery, he was fired from the newspaper. Then he went to work as a carpenter.
During the Civil War, Whitman volunteered as a male nurse. He supplied the sick men ⑧([ア]with, [イ]for, [ウ]as) tobacco, took care ⑨([ア]with, [イ]of, [ウ]to) their wounds, and read the Bible to boys who were dying. After the war he worked for the government in Washington. His last days were ⑩([ア]spend, [イ]spended, [ウ]spent) in Camden, New Jersey, ⑪([ア]when, [イ]which, [ウ]where) he died in 1892.
His best poems are ⑫([ア]contain, [イ]contains, [ウ]contained) in the volume called Leaves of Grass. When this volume was first ⑬([ア]publish, [イ]publishing, [ウ]published), many people criticized it. His poetry did not ⑭([ア]seem, [イ]seems, [ウ]seemed) to be poetry at all. It did not rhyme, nor did it have a regular rhythm. He used the plain, simple words of everyday
⑮([ア]life, [イ]lifes, [ウ]lives).

5 ( )の語句を並び替えて日本語と同じ意味になるようにしなさい。2×5=10点
①She ( young moved when was Japan she to quite) .
彼女はとても若い頃に日本に引っ越した。
②I ( and my wife did didn't nor about Japan much know ).
私は日本のことをよく知らなかったし、妻もそうだった。
③After ( president hard, of very he working became finally the company) .
彼は、とても頑張って働き、最後にはその会社の社長になった。
④At ( carpenter as work he fifteen to a began ) .
彼は15歳の時に大工として働き始めた。
⑤Because ( yesterday we Osaka the in couldn't typhoon, arrive of ) .
台風のため、私達は昨日大阪に到着できなかった。

6 日本語の意味に合うように( )に一語ずつ入れなさい。1×15 = 15点
①入院している間、一人の親切な女性の看護師が彼の世話をしてくれた。
While he was in the ( あ ), a kind ( い ) nurse took ( う ) of him.
→While he was in the ( hospital ), a kind ( female ) nurse took ( care ) of him.
②彼は、しばらくの間、記者としてその新聞社に勤めた。
He worked for the newspaper ( あ ) a ( い ) for a ( う ).
→ He worked for the newspaper ( as ) a ( reporter ) for a ( while ).
③戦後、彼はこの町に引っ越し、その本を書いた。
( あ ) the war, he ( い ) to this city and ( う ) the book.
→( After ) the war, he ( moved ) to this city and ( wrote ) the book.
④私は社長がしたことを批判したので会社を解雇された。
I was ( あ ) from the company ( い ) I criticized ( う ) the president had done.
→I was ( fired/dismissed/discharged/sacked ) from the company ( because ) I criticized ( what ) the president had done.
⑤私は彼の行動を全く気にしません。
I don't ( あ ) his ( い ) at ( う ).
→I don't ( mind/care ) his ( behavior/act ) at ( all ).

That's all. Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

⑲( ) your sister and you study Japanese every day? (ア)Is (イ)Do (ウ)Does

'you and your sister' more natural.

Here there are two words to get rid of, 'in' and 'often'.
Either remove 'in' from the list of words more make the correct answer
We always eat lunch in here
Both are correct, maybe just get rid of the 'in' if your students are low level.

Both 'I have many friends in America' and 'I have a lot of friends in America' are OK, so maybe change the
unnecessary word so that it cannot be used in a correct sentence (e.g., replace 'many' by 'much').

I'm running out of time, so maybe someone else can check sections 4-6.

Thank you very much for your help, Lothor.

Here there are two words to get rid of, 'in' and 'often'.
Either remove 'in' from the list of words more make the correct answer
We always eat lunch in here
Both are correct, maybe just get rid of the 'in' if your students are low level.

Yes, you are right. I'll remove "in".

Both 'I have many friends in America' and 'I have a lot of friends in America' are OK, so maybe change the
unnecessary word so that it cannot be used in a correct sentence (e.g., replace 'many' by 'much').

Lothor, I wrote that you have to remove ONE word. So I think the original question is all right.

I feel a more accurate translation would be, "Meg and I meet every Monday." It could be minor nitpicking but, "Meg and I meet on Mondays." sounds more like that's the day you meet on and not necessarily that you meet on every single Monday.

As a native speaker this was really difficult for me to work out as the answer I came up with isn't a very common construct. "I didn't know much about Japan nor did my wife." That leaves out the word "and" though so I'm not sure if that's the intended answer. I would personally use "My wife and I didn't know much about Japan."

台風のため、私達は昨日大阪に到着できなかった。

This one I feel is the same. The structure of the answer I got is a little uncommon. "Because of the typhoon, we couldn't arrive in Osaka yesterday." I'm more confident of this answer but I would use "We couldn't get to Osaka yesterday because of the typhoon."

Thank you for your help, OoTmaster.

I feel a more accurate translation would be, "Meg and I meet every Monday." It could be minor nitpicking but, "Meg and I meet on Mondays." sounds more like that's the day you meet on and not necessarily that you meet on every single Monday.

Ok. Then I'll change that into Meg ( I Monday Mondays and every meet ). Would that be OK?

As a native speaker this was really difficult for me to work out as the answer I came up with isn't a very common construct. "I didn't know much about Japan nor did my wife." That leaves out the word "and" though so I'm not sure if that's the intended answer. I would personally use "My wife and I didn't know much about Japan."

Nor is the main point in this question. Would you suggest a question about how to use "nor"? Do American people ever use the word "nor"?

台風のため、私達は昨日大阪に到着できなかった。

This one I feel is the same. The structure of the answer I got is a little uncommon. "Because of the typhoon, we couldn't arrive in Osaka yesterday." I'm more confident of this answer but I would use "We couldn't get to Osaka yesterday because of the typhoon."

OK. I'll change it into your version.

Ok. Then I'll change that into Meg ( I Monday Mondays and every meet ). Would that be OK?

Looks fine to me.

Nor is the main point in this question. Would you suggest a question about how to use "nor"? Do American people ever use the word "nor"?

I would say probably not often. The sentence is grammatically correct so there isn't any issue with using it. The only point I had there was that it's not as common to say it in that way.

Thank you, OoTmaster. According to my dictionaries, it seems that British people use "nor" more often. (Does "it seems" sound off here?)

Thanks, OoTmaster.
台風のため、私達は昨日大阪に到着できなかった。

Is it that you wouldn't use "arrive" in this case? In what case would you use "arrive"?

Or "we couldn't land". I think you would be more specific about what the typhoon prevented you form doing, depending on your method of transport. "I couldn't arrive" sounds odd to me. "We didn't arrive on time" sounds ok.

Thanks for the help, OoTmaster and Michael2.
"I couldn't arrive" sounds odd to me. "We didn't arrive on time" sounds ok.
Oh, really? Then would these sound right?
(a) Because of the typhoon, I didn't arrive in Osaka on time.
(b) I didn't arrive in Osaka on time because of the typhoon.

Is it that you never say "I couldn't arrive" ?

I would never say it, no. I think because "arrival" has the sense of schedule about it, hence why "I didn't arrive on time" sounds natural. If it was unrelated to schedule, I would say "we couldn't go/get there", which is not only about arrival but any part of the journey which stopped you from completing the entire journey, e.g. a flood somewhere.

Thanks for the help, Michael2. That's new to me. My colleagues didn't know that, either.

Back
Top Bottom