What's new

MEXT Scholarship (Research/Graduate Studies) 2020

Nothing for me yet. Getting nervous since I haven't heard anything from the adviser/school either... hopefully my country will announce the final results soon!
Congrats to all of you!
Thanks and I know some countries are still waiting so anyday now!

Hey, in a facebook group we started recently a Whatsapp group chat with people from all countries who have also passed in MEXT Research 2020. If anyone here wanna join, let me know! ☺

you can join the facebook group named Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship Applicants.
You can PM me your phone number with all area codes so that I can add you in the whatsapp group

Hey, can I check if this scholarship is affected by the coronavirus situation?
Even if there's a coronavirus, Japanese government has its ways to resolve the issue by other means (e.g. online lessons, delayed start of classes, etc.) Therefore, there is still an application for MEXT even for 2021.

Last edited:
Even if there's a coronavirus, Japanese governement has its ways to resolve the issue by other means (e.g. online lessons, delayed start of classes, etc.) Therefore, there is still an application for MEXT even for 2021.
apparently the scholarship application is suspended in some countries where everything is locked down. The embassy told people to wait as they might cancel the scholarship for this term. because i dont think many people have even submitted the documents for the first screening

apparently the scholarship application is suspended in some countries where everything is locked down. The embassy told people to wait as they might cancel the scholarship for this term. because i dont think many people have even submitted the documents for the first screening
Possibly you are referring to Embassy recommendation? For embassy recommendation it really depends on the embassy of Japan where it is situated (the countries where it is located). However, for university recommendation, it's a different story, because the university recommends the students to study in Japan and not the embassy.

Possibly you are referring to Embassy recommendation? For embassy recommendation it really depends on the embassy of Japan where it is situated (the countries where it is located). However, for university recommendation, it's a different story, because the university recommends the students to study in Japan and not the embassy.
since the question didnt specify i assumed it was embassy. considering that there are only 3 slots now, i havent seen many people applying for the univ recommendation. even at the univ recommendation level, i have seen numerous cancellations of mext sponsored pgp programs.

since the question didnt specify i assumed it was embassy. considering that there are only 3 slots now, i havent seen many people applying for the univ recommendation. even at the univ recommendation level, i have seen numerous cancellations of mext sponsored pgp programs.
Yes, you are right. Most of the universities postponed the application process this year. But let's hope that the application for 2021 will be smooth sailing for applicants considering the pandemic crisis we're experiencing.

Hello everyone

I hope that you are safe in your home countries. As some of you have pointed out, things will be delayed this year. There are many factors that are/could be contributing to this:

1) some (most?) universities are operating on limited staff- the national star of emergency means that some (most ?) national universities have stopped (or limited) most of their administrative people from going to university (and professors are likely left to their own judgement depending on how they get to work etc, but in general are being encouraged to work form home). So that will certainly slow things down.

2) this also will apply in varying degrees to government officials (including of course MEXT).

3) there may be other factors (rules/guidelines for work etc vary by prefecture)

So please do not be discouraged by the delays...

good luck

Hi everyone, how are you coping from still being stranded abroad?
I am of course talking to the 2020 scholars who were supposed to come in April such as myself.

Hi everyone, how are you coping from still being stranded abroad?
I am of course talking to the 2020 scholars who were supposed to come in April such as myself.
Hi! I hope everyone is doing well.
I've been mostly studying Japanese to prepare for the grad school entrance exam. My advisor and department office believe I will be able to arrive in autumn, although I'm growing increasingly unsure of that...
The hardest part, for me, is having no idea how/when the situation will be resolved.

All of you, please stay safe!

Hi! I hope everyone is doing well.
I've been mostly studying Japanese to prepare for the grad school entrance exam. My advisor and department office believe I will be able to arrive in autumn, although I'm growing increasingly unsure of that...
The hardest part, for me, is having no idea how/when the situation will be resolved.

All of you, please stay safe!

Same, my advisor and department also believe I'll arrive in autumn.
The hardest part is really the lack of communication from japanese authorities.
Thank you for sharing and hopefully we will have good news soon.

Photis and asoww:

The hardest part is really the lack of communication from japanese authorities.

Most people in Japan "hope that the fall is possible". However, more important than "communication from japanese authorities" is the state of your home country. Japan has been reasonably clear in communication:

MOFA:
General:

Entry

Basically, the situation in your country, the spread in Japan and the availability of PCR testing will (IMO) be key determinants. These are not "under the control" of the Japanese government, so there are NO clear answers.

Universities, like yourselves, need to wait on MOFA.

My advisor and department office believe I will be able to arrive in autumn, although I'm growing increasingly unsure of that...

To be honest, everyone is in the same boat. We can only speculate how things might change…

Good luck and stay safe.

Lol @tomoni the Japanese communication has been reasonably clear... is this a joke ? This must be a joke right ?

The situation in my country has been under control, such as in many other countries actually..... in which there was not even a first wave of infections in the first place (but for some reasons, were progressively added on the "banned list" to "strengthen the borders" every day by FM Motegi). Not everyone is in the US situation.
Anyway, I don't want to argue, I have noticed a certain lack of empathy from those who are not in our position and who may fail to see what kind of things some of us are going through. The 4 months of silence of the MEXT is appealing.
That is precisely the reason I was only speaking to poeple in my situation as I precised in my original post, but I guess thank you for replying @tomoni .

In the meantime, let me link the forum to a petition: Sign the Petition

There is also a letter sent by the consulate of my country to the 713 japanese parliament members last week. I asked them if their requests also concerned students such as myself, they told me yes.
I am far from the only one being vocal about the situation of Japan's foreign residents or residents to be. There are tons of articles on the JapanTimes who talk about criticisms from the international community addressed to the Japanese' administration for their lack of clear policies regarding immigrants during this crisis.

But, whatever.

Last edited:
Hello Asoww,

"Lol @tomoni the Japanese communication has been reasonably clear... is this a joke ? This must be a joke right ?"

It was not intended as a joke. I think that they have been CLEAR enough in the case of students waiting for visas that everything is on hold. Because it is not the answer that students want to hear, does not mean that it is not a clear answer. They have also been "clear" on saying that they would update according to the changing situation. Again, while may not be the answer you want, it is a clear answer. Basically the "clear" answer is right now, no visas are being issued and you have to wait until the government evaluates the situation and begins issuing visas for students. That is quite clear.

I think that most students want the answer of YES you can get a visa beginning on this date. However, that answer is not going to come. The clear answer is wait.

I do empathize with you and other people whose life is in limbo cause the Japanese government will not set a hard date for issuing visas. However, their answer right now is quite clear, you have to wait. That is not a very satisfactory answer, but it is a clear one.

"The situation in my country has been under control, such as in many other countries actually....."

I am guessing according to the flag under your name that you are from France. A quick google search "Covid 19 current cases in France" brings up about 2500 new cases on July 15, and a quick wiki search claims a fatality rate of about 17.5 % (COVID-19 pandemic in France - Wikipedia). I do not want to debate "under control" means for each country because that is not "my place" to impose my standard of safety on each country but rather stay that each country is entitled to determine what "under control" means.

"Not everyone is in the US situation."

I am not sure what you intend to suggest by that? Is it that you assume I am American and base my comments on an America-centric perspective? Or are you assuming that I am illiterate and unable to read the newspaper? I was attempting to be helpful and am a bit taken back by your response.

Japan is in the situation of Japan and that is/was the situation that I was referring to.

"I have noticed a certain lack of empathy from those who are not in our position and who may fail to see what kind of things some of us are going through".

As I have said, and the reason that I replied initially was from a perspective of empathy. I do know/recognize that on an individual basis, there is much frustration. COVID 19 is affecting people as a whole, and as individuals. So let me share let me some individual stories with you. I know of many freelance teachers who teach at home and part-time at various places that have lost much of their income. Many of them, have families, kids to feed, etc., and the while everyone appreciates the 100,000 yen that the gov't offered for support, it is not enough for many people. Japan does does have the wide social safety net that France does. Another friend opened a new Mom & Pop business last year and finally in December it became profitable. Now they are on the verge of bankruptcy. This could lead to them losing their home as well as their business.

Let me get closer to your area and talk about MEXT scholars that are already in Japan: they also received the 100,000 yen in support, while receiving their living stipend of approximately 145,000 yen per month. Japanese students on the other hand have received on a "application and needs basis" 30,000 per month for living. Many have lost her part-time jobs, many are still paying rent on apartment that they cannot vacant even though they have gone back home because all classes are on-line.

I wonder if you see what kind of things some of us are going through in Japan?

I also empathize with these people and understand the position of the Japanese government to "err on the side of caution". Nobody wants to keep Japan closed, including the Japanese government.

"There are tons of articles on the JapanTimes who talk about criticisms from the international community addressed to the Japanese' administration for their lack of clear policies regarding immigrants during this crisis."

There is NOT a lot of clarity for people trying to re-enter Japan and I agree with this. My comments on clarity refer to the Student VISA situation. I very MUCH empathize with these people as without clarity for all intensive purposes, as a foreign national, I am "trapped in Japan". Meaning that if I were to leave, it is not yet perfectly clear about re-admittance under the current circumstances. I understand this situation is not easy for many people.

"The 4 months of silence of the MEXT is appealing".

MEXT is not the decision maker on Visas, and the answer is still "clear" - you have to wait. Now you may think that this is appalling, but the fact of the matter is that MEXT, and the Japanese government want MORE foreign students. However, the response of the Japanese government to prioritize the spread of COVID - 19 (although that is shifting as the economic realities are really being felt).

"but I guess thank you for replying @tomoni ."

"But, whatever."

I would suggest that before you make some obligatory half-hearted gesture of civility that you consider that many people on his forum contribute their time and effort and knowledge of Japan to:
- help newcomers to learn about Japan,
- help newcomers decide whether to come to Japan
- help newcomers and expatriates with the many challenges of expat life
- help tourists
- help people find lost relatives
- help with translations
- help students that are going through the application process, particularly MEXT scholarships
- and many other things.

You may note that the operative word is help. This site (not run by me) is not profit driven, but was started and continues to operate as a community of people who would like to help others, including donating money to support the site, on a volunteer basis.

As tempting as it is to sign off with "But, whatever.", I will instead say that I do wish you the best and hope that you are able to get your visa and begin your studies in Japan. One of the most valuable aspects of studying and living outside of your own culture is that it gives you the opportunity to see the world and other people from a different perspective, and hopefully allows you to import positive cultural and social values into your own life.

Good luck.

I think that you have misunderstood my original comment @tomoni , which was not intended to you by the way, but apparently you felt very much concerned.

I never said anything about a date.

Based on your comments, I am a selfish a****** who complains about their own situation without considering anything else. My heart aches a lot more for foreign residents who have been separated from their families, spouses and children for many months and whose "humanitarian" reasons are not enough to come home for the japanese administration at the moment. My heart aches a lot for the current stranded resident students who are paying rents in a country they are barred from entry, who sometimes come from a much poorer background than mine, and/or even come from a country with not many cases and who are faced with the exact same tone deaf administration than I do and, I can't even imagine the number of breakdowns they went through those last few months.
This two lined light criticism of the Japanese administration that you have seemingly taken to heart actually covers a lot more, well documented, urgent, situations than mine. And I will gladly make them come first before me.

Dear @tomoni , I am forcing no one, I can't possibly force a whole country doing something I'd like them to do. They'll do whatever they want, but I still have the right to speak.
I am not the only one in this, so I don't really need your help to be honest.

Finally, I dont need your luck either. None of this has to do with luck. You have literally not one single idea of what I have sacrificed to give me this opportunity. None. Your failed attempt at guessing who I am and exactly what situation I am in, isn't knowledge, really. It is just another attempt at dismissing valid criticisms that once again, I am far from being the only one uttering. You didn't really ask me before your guessing game but to be sure let me tell you that : you don't know.
The funny thing is that you are talking as if if I was going on some sort of glorified vacations. If only.

Your fake concerned and condescending tone, that pretends to embody the so called articulated "common sense" only privilege has when they refuse to listen and value or respect someone else's perspective and experience, definitely does not make me want to answer more seriously than that, so yes, whatever.

Last edited:
asoww:

I think that you have misunderstood my original comment @tomoni , which was not intended to you by the way, but apparently you felt very much concerned.

I think that it is easy to misunderstand that when it is: LOL@ my user name.

Not much concerned initially, but as I read the rest of your post…

I never said anything about a date.

Fair enough, I inferred that you wanted something more clear that "please be patient". So since you do not want a date - what is it exactly that you want?

Based on your comments, I am a selfish a****** who complains about their own situation without considering anything else. My heart aches a lot more for foreign residents who have been separated from their families, spouses and children for many months and whose "humanitarian" reasons are not enough to come home for the japanese administration at the moment. My heart aches a lot for the current stranded resident students who are paying rents in a country they are barred from entry, who sometimes come from a much poorer background than mine, and/or even come from a country with not many cases and who are faced with the exact same tone deaf administration than I do and, I can't even imagine the number of breakdowns they went through those last few months.
This two lined light criticism of the Japanese administration that you have seemingly taken to heart actually covers a lot more, well documented, urgent, situations than mine. And I will gladly make them come first before me.

I am not saying that it is a choice between "them or you" bringing to your attention (since your post about your individual circumstances that many people have difficult circumstances).

Dear @tomoni , I am forcing no one, I can't possibly force a whole country doing something I'd like them to do. They'll do whatever they want, but I still have the right to speak.
I have never said that nor inferred that you do not have the right to speak.

I am not the only one in this, so I don't really need your help to be honest.
No sarcasm intend, this is fortunate because there is not much that I could do to help you beyond what I have said. You did however, respond to my post, and so I responded to you.

Finally, I dont need your luck either. None of this has to do with luck.
Good luck is simply an expression to end my post. I do not have any power to bestow good luck on you.

You have literally not one single idea of what I have sacrificed to give me this opportunity. None. Your failed attempt at guessing who I am and exactly what situation I am in, isn't knowledge, really. It is just another attempt at dismissing valid criticisms that once again, I am far from being the only one uttering. You didn't really ask me before your guessing game but to be sure let me tell you that : you don't know.
That is correct. However, since you referred to the situation in your country and have a French flag as you icon "I [was] guessing according to the flag under your name that you are from France." The point was and still is, that ever country has its own situation and definition of "under control".

Your fake concerned and condescending tone, that pretends to embody the so called articulated "common sense" only privilege has when they refuse to listen and value or respect someone else's perspective and experience, definitely does not make me want to answer more seriously than that, so yes, whatever.

So you admonish me for my assumptions and follow with the assumption of MY "privilege" which refuses to listen and value or respect someone else's perspective and experience, definitely does not make me want to answer more seriously than that, so yes, whatever. Well, we have something in common- you know as little about me as I know about you.

That being said, I have experienced enough of you, so I will leave it at that. However, since you seem to enjoy having the last word (another assumption on MY part...) I will leave the last word to you.

Based on your comments, I am a selfish a****** who complains about their own situation without considering anything else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom