What's new

MEXT Scholarship (Research/Graduate Studies) 2020

@Photis Did you just receive it today? I also applied to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and received no reply as of yet. Waiting is a drag... Also got rejected from Nagoya and Tohoku Universities.
I received mine on Monday! No news is good news, I hope.

Hey guys, how is it going ? Everyone sent their LoAs to the embassy (and their placement preference) ?

I am personally still waiting to hear back from Keio. But I received two LoAs so far.

Last edited:
Hey guys, how is it going ? Everyone sent their LoAs to the embassy (and their placement preference) ?

I am personally still waiting to hear back from Keio. But I received two LoAs so far.

Heya!
I haven't as yet, my deadline is the 11th but I still have one more Loa waiting to get here.

Good news, I received my last LoA (but only the PDF version for now, waiting for the hard copy).
To those who are still waiting for answers : hang in there lol. Waiting is definitely tiring.

Good news, I received my last LoA (but only the PDF version for now, waiting for the hard copy).
To those who are still waiting for answers : hang in there lol. Waiting is definitely tiring.
Great! I have been having delivery problems. Its been draining that last loa is really giving it to me lol but im keeping my head up. Hope everyone else is doing okay.

hey guys, I hope everyone was successful in getting their loas and submitted on time to the embassy

It seems that some results will start being announced next week for a few countries.
My embassy wrote on their official page, that it will be at the beginning of February for us. Lol the gap is kinda crazy.

Hey guys, received an email from my embassy yesterday which said that our results wont be out until late January to early february.

it is quite tight this time around.
There are only 3 slots for the University recommendation. Usually the number is 9 until last year when they reduced the number of slots at the last minute. That makes it even harder to get the university recommendation. the possibility of you being the best in your department in and of itself is hard, and now that the slots are only 3 that means you will probably compete with 4 to 5 times as many people. It is quite tough this year, I never thought about it but I think I might have to look for private scholarships now.

Hi guys,

Any news ?? It seems that a number of poeple have already received unofficial confirmations from their professors and universities (dormitories inquiries, language program inquiries and professors who already announced it to their students although they're not supposed to).

There was one known rejection a month ago though. It's "Mike" Embassy Recommended MEXT Scholarship: Secondary Screening and Placement | TranSenz: MEXT Scholarship and Visa Information for Moving to Japan
I believe that there won't have any rejections anymore because probably the jury of the MEXT already decided for the selections, hence the one rejection news and unofficial selections received one after another by diverse candidates around the world.

At this point I think the only thing left to decide for those of us who have gotten no news, is not the selection because I believe we are already selected, but the university placement. Since things are highly unusual this year some might have gotten their second choice.
In my case I have 3 private unis so yeah....

Lol I need to rent somewhere. The D Day is approaching yall!!

Well, I am applying to Tohoku university and the application opened on January 6th.
I will have to send my documents by January 30th and they will inform me of a decision in March. So, nothing to worry about yet. I think the worry starts once they actually recommend you for MEXT scholarship. Once the University recommends, the government will accept it sometime in May or June and send the results back to the University.
But, this time its going to be really dicey. Because, last year MEXT cut a lot of scholarships due to budget constraints due to which a lot of Unviersity recommended applicants didnt get the scholarship. I believe it was extremely rare for the MEXT to reject an application for a student recommended by the University.
And this year we have Tokyo olympics and the announced slots at present is 3 for top tier universities. So, it will be kind of a nervous waiting period because anything can happen.I think the embassy results arent out yet either because the MEXT authorities havent received the actual budget limits. Kind of tense this time around, because its hard to be recommended as there are only 3 slots for univ recommendation and there could also be rejections if they feel budget is too limited even for that 3.

Hi guys,

Any news ?? It seems that a number of poeple have already received unofficial confirmations from their professors and universities (dormitories inquiries, language program inquiries and professors who already announced it to their students although they're not supposed to).

There was one known rejection a month ago though. It's "Mike" Embassy Recommended MEXT Scholarship: Secondary Screening and Placement | TranSenz: MEXT Scholarship and Visa Information for Moving to Japan
I believe that there won't have any rejections anymore because probably the jury of the MEXT already decided for the selections, hence the one rejection news and unofficial selections received one after another by diverse candidates around the world.

At this point I think the only thing left to decide for those of us who have gotten no news, is not the selection because I believe we are already selected, but the university placement. Since things are highly unusual this year some might have gotten their second choice.
In my case I have 3 private unis so yeah....

Lol I need to rent somewhere. The D Day is approaching yall!!
Hey, my first choice uni emailed me about dorms this week. According to my embassy i think results may start coming out next week or the week after

Hey, my first choice uni emailed me about dorms this week. According to my embassy i think results may start coming out next week or the week after
Amazing,

Most of the sources say that it is a very good sign before the final result. I wish I could say the same but silence on my part !

I can't believe the wait is almost over. Exciting !

Amazing,

Most of the sources say that it is a very good sign before the final result. I wish I could say the same but silence on my part !

I can't believe the wait is almost over. Exciting !

Right?! Im so glad its almost over, its been a rollercoaster

Congrats!! Hopefully the wait will be over in a week or two for those of us still in purgatory;)

I received the dorm invite too. Hope everything goes well for you guys.

Me too, I received it today ! Although my university has precised that MEXT has not finalized the placement yet.

"Although MEXT has not finalized university placement yet, we would like
to announce you of housing information beforehand so you will not miss
the application period."

My friend from Pakistan told me she got her final results today. Also there are other persons posting about it in a private facebook group

Nothing for me yet. Getting nervous since I haven't heard anything from the adviser/school either... hopefully my country will announce the final results soon!
Congrats to all of you!

Back
Top Bottom