What's new

MEXT Scholarship (Research/Graduate Studies) 2020

Hey :)

How is it going? I've seen someone who got a first letter of Approval today.

I sent 2 applications so far for two different unis. I have another Skype interview tomorrow morning and if it goes well I'll send a 3rd application, after that I'll just wait.

Oh that's great! I was wondering if anyone had gotten any so far. I was hoping that id get this week given the time they had indicated. I am just waiting now really.

Good luck on your interview! I wish you all the best! 😁

My first acceptance letter from Keio is on the way!!

I still haven't heard anything from Waseda, but Keio is my first choice so I'm ecstatic!

Hey guys, so the deadline for contacting the unis have passed, how are the loas looking?

Hi!
I just received my first Letter of Acceptance from my second choice (ICU)!
I'm waiting to hear back from my other 1st and 3rd choices, Keio and Sophia.

And you?

Hi!
I just received my first Letter of Acceptance from my second choice (ICU)!
I'm waiting to hear back from my other 1st and 3rd choices, Keio and Sophia.

And you?

That's great! Happy to hear.
Loa from Yokohama is on its way. (got it via email as well)
Waiting for Kyoto's.

I didnt contact anymore unis after those two were confirmed.

Hi all! First time posting here.
My preferences were Waseda, Keio, and Todai, and Todai ended up rejecting my application for the LoA:cry:
The MEXT guidelines and the people at the embassy made it very clear that they prefer to place students at national universities, and I'm wondering if it's possible to fail the final screening/school placement phase if I have two LoA's from private schools and none from a national university?
Other posts I've read say that as long as I pass the interview stage and get at least one LoA (regardless of whether it's from a public or private school), it is extremely unlikely I'll fail at the later stages... Still I can't help being extremely nervous:eek:

My preferences were Waseda, Keio, and Todai, and Todai ended up rejecting my application for the LoA:cry:
The MEXT guidelines and the people at the embassy made it very clear that they prefer to place students at national universities, and I'm wondering if it's possible to fail the final screening/school placement phase if I have two LoA's from private schools and none from a national university?
Other posts I've read say that as long as I pass the interview stage and get at least one LoA (regardless of whether it's from a public or private school), it is extremely unlikely I'll fail at the later stages... Still I can't help being extremely nervous:eek:
Hi Welcome!
The other applicant chosen from my country had the same concerns. But I have seen other applicants from previous years being awarded the scholarship to private unis. In some instances it was the only loa they received. While i understand you being anxious i think you should still remain positive as well 😊

@sneat : what would be your first choice among those two? Congrats for Yokohama!!

@Photis : I don't think you need to worry at all. I agree with the other posts you read. Personally all 3 universities I applied to are Private so... No choice lol. As for Todai, sorry to hear. The other ones are really good though!

@sneat Thanks for the reply and congrats on your LoA! Yeah, I've also seen people being assigned to private schools in my country (sometimes as many as 4 ppl), but it's so easy to get unnecessarily worried when it comes to scholarships;) It's really reassuring to hear from others!
@asoww Hey we're in the same boat! Honestly I'm not that sad about the rejection itself (because the other two schools better matched my research interest), but just worried about the national/private placements... It's good to know that I'm not only one in this situation!

In the past some people have been rejected during the final screening, If you look back in previous years' threads, it has happened.

The rule of them is to include a national uni just in case there are further cuts during the final stage. Having all private unis may make you the candidate to cut, since you would cost more money. It seems rare but I would err on the side of caution since this scholarship seems to decrease every year

Thank you for this info...
It was confirmed by the embassy that the exceptional delay for the first screening's results this year was due to the Japanese Gov not being sure about how many scholarships they wanted to give (due to budget cuts-> that part is not confirmed though). So I feel like the budget cuts have already been taken into consideration this year, making it unlikely that something would happen for the secondary screening.
Or that's just me being optimistic, lol. For now I'm not too worried.

I wouldn't worry but I just want to reiterate that you never know. Things happen... In the past people were rejected in the final run and not given an explanation. This scholarship isn't cut and dry in how it works. Speaking as a recipient, don't expect much in-depth communication from here on out.

I wouldn't worry but I just want to reiterate that you never know. Things happen... In the past people were rejected in the final run and not given an explanation. This scholarship isn't cut and dry in how it works. Speaking as a recipient, don't expect much in-depth communication from here on out.
Thank you, appreciate it

To be honest, you will probably learn your placement from your assigned professor before your embassy. XD

Thanks for the info! I also heard something similar to what aswoo has mentioned (plus the less-than-cordial relations between Japan and my home country making things more...interesting) from the embassy.
Well, since I learned about my rejection from the national university after the deadline to contact schools, there's really nothing I can do other than hoping for the best. Good luck to all of you as well!

Hi, all! First-timer here!
Is it just me who haven't got any LoAs? 😂 I applied to 3 unis and still haven't heard anything about the LoA...
Anyone applied to Todai, TUFS, or Rikkyo?

Hello! Sorry to hear about the rejection from Todai, but may I ask which graduate school did you apply?
I also applied to Todai and haven't heard anything about the LoA since I submitted the documents.... I've contacted the professor and got an OK so I was confident but knowing that Todai actually rejects MEXT scholarship awardee candidate makes me nervous now 😬

Hi, all! First-timer here!
Is it just me who haven't got any LoAs? 😂 I applied to 3 unis and still haven't heard anything about the LoA...
Anyone applied to Todai, TUFS, or Rikkyo?

Hello! Sorry to hear about the rejection from Todai, but may I ask which graduate school did you apply?
I also applied to Todai and haven't heard anything about the LoA since I submitted the documents.... I've contacted the professor and got an OK so I was confident but knowing that Todai actually rejects MEXT scholarship awardee candidate makes me nervous now 😬
Hey sandpie! I applied to the graduate school of arts and sciences. Despite my experience I wouldn't really worry about getting the LoA, because every year something like 90%+ of MEXT scholarship candidates from my country would get into Todai with no problem, and judging from past years' threads it seems like a large number of people here made it safely as well-I'm pretty sure my case is an outlier. Since you also got an OK from the professor it should be fine, I think! I probably just received the results early because it was a rejection (lol).

Yeah I think LOA rejections for MEXT are rare and very circumstantial? When I applied to Todai I got a rejection because the professor who would have taken me as a student was going on paternity leave.

You are essentially guaranteed income for the university so they would be itching to have you, I think.

@Photis Did you just receive it today? I also applied to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and received no reply as of yet. Waiting is a drag... Also got rejected from Nagoya and Tohoku Universities.

Last edited:

I just got my LoA from Waseda in the mail!!
Including Keio, that makes both my two letters from private schools as well. It's too late to do anything about it now so hopefully it all works out 😅

Back
Top Bottom