What's new

Meiji teapot or Sake pot ?

aregjoe2

後輩
17 Jul 2009
Hello everyone ...
I have got this little teapot that I've been researching for several months , and I thought that perhaps someone here might have some input on/about .
What I do know about it : It's .950 sterling silver , repousee , and made in a 2-Water-Dragon motif . It holds 750ml , weighs about 18.5oz and has an ivory handle (Kyusu -style) . It is from the Meiji period , with the 'solid silver' jungin being the only 'hallmark' on it that I can see (it's the small inset on the image) .
A Japanese friend mentioned that it might be a Sake pot , rather than a teapot .
He suggested that I ask this question on a Japanese forum , so here I am !
I think it is a beautiful example of fine Japanese craftsmanship .
I thank you , in advance , for any information , interest &/or input .

Attachments

• smaller.JPG
    smaller.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Quite unusual to see a silver teapot like that, though I'm no expert. At first glance it looks Chinese, particularly the dragon motif. Very nice detail, certainly doesn't look that old... Interesting that there's no signature mark on it.

Thank you for your comments , nice gaijin .

It's not unknown to have works left unsigned , but it does make the research a bit tougher .

The 'jungin' on the base of this teapot (Sake pot ?) is written in Japanese .

In the 1920's , & beyond , regulations about silver-marks on Japanese silver work changed , requiring that they have a decimal indicated silver-purity mark (.950 , .935 , .925 etc. ) .
Earlier works would have the 'junjin' & sometimes other marks from the artist .

I had this little fellow tested by a reputable local jeweler , and it came up .950 .

Typically , Japanese Dragons were/are depicted as having 3 toes , whereas Chinese Dragons would have as many as 5 ( usually 4 , though ) .

It is a very cool thing to see the steam rising from the dragons' mouth , when making tea in this one !

純銀 means pure silver in both Japanese and Chinese (unless there are other hanzi for it in Chinese, but a google search brings up many Chinese results). The styling was what made me wonder about its origin, as I said it was an unusual motif and level of detail for Japanese silverware.

I'm no authority on Meiji craftwork, and I have seen very detailed crafts, but they were usually either cloisonné or urushi, or inlaid pieces. Did not know that about the dragon's toes, that is an interesting point. Ether way it's a lovely piece, good to know that it's still used.

I thank you again for your comments , nice gaijin .

In my world-wide searching , I've found only one other piece that is highly possible as being made by the same artist ( and it's in the U.S. ) .

The belly-plate design of the Dragons are unique to all others I've found , and I use this point of reference (along with several more) in my efforts to identify the person who made this one .

I think assessment will be best done by a respectable art or antiques dealer in your region. I have been here for a number of years, and none of the veteran members here are experts in the area.

Having said that, my personal (amateur) opinion is that there is no telling whether it is Japanese or Chinese in origin.
The dragon is closely linked with water (the Japanese "suijin," the water god, is a dragon), but this belief originates in China.
Also, the ornateness of the design is very rare in Japan, considering the Japanese preference for austerity and simplicity in design. So, my first impression was that it is Chinese in origin or inspiration.

Is it a teapot or a sake pot? I don't know that either. But boiling in a silver pot is believed to "soften" the water--an idea shared by Chinese/Japanese and British tea service styles. On the other hand, the size of the pot is appropriate for warming sake, too.

Conclusion: I have no idea... 😌
BUT, I can say that, if I were you, I won't be boiling water in it. I have a feeling that it is worth a lot of money. I'd keep it way from dust and corrosion in a case or protected shelf. 😌

Thank you for your input and comments , epigene .
I agree with your comment about not boiling water in it ; water is first boiled in another vessel , then poured into this one to make tea .
I really feel honored to be able to regularly use this teapot (Sake pot?) in my home ... I could not bear to have it just sit on a shelf .
It's obvious that the artist made this for it's beauty , as well as it's function ... and both are still intact after 100+ years .

I have had it appraised by experts in Japanese silver , who both confirmed that it's a Meiji -period Japanese vessel . In the U.S. 'marketplace' , one valued it at $1500 to $2200 , the other at $2100 to $3100 (USD) .
I'm really more interested in the history of this fine piece of Japanese metalwork , though .
I have got over 200 hours of research ( and counting) in , so far .
I continue to search for clues about the artist .
Even the 'experts' here are not 100% sure that it's a tea pot , so I thought I might ask opinions of folks here in the forum .

There are still a very few artisans in Japan who produce silver pots that are hand-hammered from a solid sheet of silver (repousee) ... it's nearly a lost art form .

I can't tell how cooperative they will be, but you may be able to inquire with this company, sending them closeup pics of your pot/kettle?

Miyamoto Shoko, Ginza, Tokyo

The company was established in the Meiji Period and serves various prestigious organizations, including the Imperial Household.

Hope it helps! :)

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion , epigene .

The folks you suggested , as well as every other commercial & academic Japanese website I've contacted have all failed to return any emails ... over 20 , so far .
I've had similar non-responses/experiences when researching French paintings ( from French sources ) in the past , so I don't let it get to me so much .... it just makes research more challenging & lets me know where NOT to look .

This is not to say that I've given up hope ... I am a man on a mission .

I've found that forums are one of the best methods of gleaning information , and almost every world-wide forum has been helpful in my little 'quest' ( including this one !! ) .
In general , folks within forums have had more ideas/suggestions to assist this little project than the rest of the sources combined ( in my experience ) .
My research has included a big list of : on & off-line sources , both commercial & otherwise ; governmental , educational , institutional and private parties/organizations .

Thanks again for your help !

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion , epigene .
The folks you suggested , as well as every other commercial & academic Japanese website I've contacted have all failed to return any emails ... over 20 , so far .
I've had similar non-responses/experiences when researching French paintings ( from French sources ) in the past , so I don't let it get to me so much .... it just makes research more challenging & lets me know where NOT to look .
This is not to say that I've given up hope ... I am a man on a mission .
I've found that forums are one of the best methods of gleaning information , and almost every world-wide forum has been helpful in my little 'quest' ( including this one !! ) .
In general , folks within forums have had more ideas/suggestions to assist this little project than the rest of the sources combined ( in my experience ) .
My research has included a big list of : on & off-line sources , both commercial & otherwise ; governmental , educational , institutional and private parties/organizations .
Thanks again for your help !
It obviously looks more similar to a tetsubin ( iron cast kettle ) than a fully functional sake pot. But as the craftsmanship is so finely wrought, I suppose it is possible to relish any drink on a purely aesthetic level.

Thank you for your comment , Elizabeth .

I personally think that it's a tea pot , but I'd rather be sure .

So far , input from folks goes like (approx) 60%-tea pot , 20%-sake pot , 20% undecided .

Back
Top Bottom